PDA

View Full Version : do you stop when you see a v sheet ?????

mookyandlumpy
12-10-2008, 10:40 PM
a mate had bought a older used boat, we decided to take it for a run around southport , broadwater ,
all was goin well after good run , so we called it a day and headed for the ramp, we got about 500mtrs from the ramp and all the electrics went dead and the motor cut out,, long story short it was a no go , so we drifted to the side of the channel and achored and put out our v sheet ,
we were anchored about 15mtrs from the middle of the channel, a heap of boat traffic went by and even waved at us as when we tried to signal them by waving our arms ,, we were there for about 45mins with about 15 boats and a crap load of jet skies with people looking at us but no-one coming over to see if we needed help , in the end a jetski licence instructor came over and called the vmr and we got a tow to the ramp ,,

do you stop if you see a v sheet???? , i do , i slow down when i see people working on there engine just to see if they are alright , i was disgusted to see people not giving a crap about another boatie broken down , is this a common thing to southport or is it everywhere ????
im only 25 but was taught about boating by my old man , is helping each other out getting lost with new boaties?????

oldboot
12-10-2008, 11:00 PM
I would & I'd hope other would do the same for me.

It occurs to me that so many on the water do not know what a V sheet is.

Nor that they are obliged to assist.

On another note.....I've had arguments with people about manual propulsion.
I carry 8 foot oars on a 14foot boat......I problay cant row far but I recon I could get go 500m if the wind wasn't against me....If they were paddles or 6 footters.... not a chance.

cheers

sleepygreg
12-10-2008, 11:26 PM
I treat a V-sheet signal as if it was a Mayday call. You dont put the V-sheet out unless you are in serious trouble.......as a responsible and LICENCED boatie...you are obliged to respond to distress signals. I can understand the jetskiers not responding as they appear to have no consideration for any other person on the water(and before all you jetskiers that are also ausfishers jump on my case...there is good and bad in every group and i would think that an ausfisher who is also a jetskier would be in the group that would help out, but gee there seems to be a disproportionate lot that dont do the right thing).....except for the guy that helped you out...i bet he also gets frustrated knowing that he teaches em the right thing to do...but they ignore him too.

Greg

Noelm
13-10-2008, 07:10 AM
Of course any "NORMAL" Boatie would stop for a V sheeet and anyone worth a pinch of sh!t would stop if they saw someone waving or yelling or anything else (well I reckon anyway)

PADDLES
13-10-2008, 07:11 AM
frikkin oath you stop. i still stop if i can see someone with the cover off the motor and they're trying to get it running, it doesn't take much time out of my day to ask if they're ok. hopefully my karma will catch up with me one day when i'm the one stuck somewhere.

TimiBoy
13-10-2008, 07:21 AM
frikkin oath you stop. i still stop if i can see someone with the cover off the motor and they're trying to get it running, it doesn't take much time out of my day to ask if they're ok. hopefully my karma will catch up with me one day when i'm the one stuck somewhere.

Same. If you suspect trouble, you check it out, let alone seeing an obvious request, like a V-sheet. Hell, these jet-ski idiots'd be the first to have a cry if they ran out of fuel or something and no one helped them out.

Tim

BaitThrower
13-10-2008, 08:39 AM
I'd stop for sure.

wilcara
13-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Yeah me too of course. You might choose to drive past somebody broken down on the highway, they are safe enough at least. At sea, or even just on the water, you would never do that, as life is at stake.

Except if it was a jet ski or speed boat. Let them perish...

Peter4
13-10-2008, 08:59 AM
What is this world coming to?

I would have thought every bugger would have stopped to help out - isn't that what normal responsible people would do? Absolutely gobsmacked.......

On another note I always carry a fully-charged mobile phone while boating in the estuaries & lakes. Most have good coverage...

Pete

Benno1
13-10-2008, 09:11 AM
hav'nt seen anyone with their Vsheet out yet...but yes we would definately stop if we saw one...

Mrs Benno1

Blaster Bretty
13-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Yeah this really stink's, no one coming to your aid, wether it be boaties or jetski's is irrelivant, the V-sheet is a signal of distress and should be investigated. Even if you cant tow them you could still give one of them a lift to land and then they can take it from there.
I mean lets look at it from an extreme point of view, these bloke's holding the v-sheet up may have had a heart attack victim on board or were taking on water even!
The fact remains that you should alway's check out troubled boatie mates on the water, the peeps in boats are the only ones who can assist them anyway.
For the record ....yes I would have stopped but am very limited in towing capacity so it would of been a taxi ride to land to let them sort it all out, but at least I would of offered assistance.

Bretty

SummerTrance
13-10-2008, 11:30 AM
I've never seen anyone displaying a v-sheet, but im pretty sure I would stop. Came across some guys trying to paddle their boat one day, and I towed them back to the ramp.
Im guessing you may have been a victim of the gold coast mentality. "It's all about me" While I know not all gold coasters are tools, a hell of a lot of them are, and they dont give a dam about others.

Ozie_3
13-10-2008, 11:44 AM
yes as everyone says... always stop for a v sheet, flare, attention grabbing waving etc....
as for towing there are legalities, including insurance.... but take someone or all back to shore, phone/radio rescue.... don't wave and drive past...
cheers

PaulMark
13-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Its in the course when you go for your licence,therefore its a legal obligation.Part of your safety obligation surely.The amount of people who once they have their licence ignore everything is amazing.Like all the rules,the guy going in the other direction expects you to know what you're doing.The guys holding the v-sheet must have been getting a tad concerned.
Paulo

Dory4.1
13-10-2008, 12:54 PM
I would do, its a bit hard to get out and push when you are in a boat.

Dirtysanchez
13-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Yes, same here I would, but twice now I have had instances where we needed help, but it was not forthcoming.
1st one was in NSW.. we ended up on a small beach when the gear selector dislodged and the motor would not start. In the end because "there's a few rocks around" I undid my 100mt anchor rope, put one end in my mouth, between clenched teeth, and in the middle of winter swam about 100mtrs out and back to give the guy the rope so he would tow us back to a marina.

Second was about ayear ago at Hervey bay.. Bad fuel saw us drifting and using those paddles you buy from BCF etc. They are useless BTW.. and we had a sheet out this time, and were waving, but nadah, people just breezed on by, and it gave me the shits.

In my tinny back in Brissy I have proper timber oars and I could row for miles with them if I had to.. So do yourself a favour and get some decent oars for your boat, plastic paddles with Ally handles do nothing !

mookyandlumpy
13-10-2008, 04:03 PM
we tried the oars but the wind and current put a end to that , lol

oh i forgot big thankyou to the southport vmr for the tow ,,,,,,

FNQCairns
13-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Second last trip out I think and just 400m from the ramp my engine sucked up a big plug of almost straight 2 stroke oil and it stopped dead in the water, first boat past slowed and and asked if any help was needed, he got waved on and we dealt with the operator error and where on our way.

I will do the same and go out of my way to investigate but a tow unless the circumstances are extraordinary will not happen.

cheers fnq

spears
13-10-2008, 04:42 PM
That’s crap..Your telling us all these boats went passed and no one came over..Not good
I wouldn’t be surprised if they had no clue what the V even meant.
Or they just didn’t want to spoil there day out helping some one out….
So much for mankind.

mookyandlumpy
13-10-2008, 05:31 PM
That’s crap..Your telling us all these boats went passed and no one came over..Not good

yeah i was surprised at the situation,

FNQCairns
13-10-2008, 05:43 PM
yeah i was surprised at the situation,

Saddly today the truth might be you where simply too ugly for the majority be bothered with, nothing personal. Older boat etc etc. It's the corner we turned near 12 years back.

cheers fnq

tunaticer
13-10-2008, 05:46 PM
I've only seen two V sheets in use and stopped and helped out both times........all too often these days ppl will not think of grabbing the V sheet and pick up the mobile for assitance.

If I had to use a V sheet for an emergency I would note down the rego numbers of the boats that did not stop to offer assistance. It is law to stop and help.

Jack.

mookyandlumpy
13-10-2008, 05:53 PM
the my moblie is about 70 mtrs under the sea at the moment
when i was sea sick on my last trip , it was in my top pocket when a went for a spew it went bye bye

It's the corner we turned near 12 years back.

sorry but i dont understand this???
i understand the old boat bit, but still ,,,

Kendall249
13-10-2008, 05:56 PM
I would definately go over and invetigate whether then need a hand, though I never seen a V sheet in use. In the past I've helped several people who looked like they were in need of help and in these cases I was the only person to even ask if they needed a hand. A number of other boats just motor past looking the other way. I must admit I've been helped in the past, but because I expect to be helped in such situations I help others. I find in amazing how inconsiderate some peolpe can be.

Chris Ryan
13-10-2008, 06:18 PM
I saw anewish boatie a year or two back in the broadwater with his Mrs and 3 kids on board. He started his motor and then nothing, He could start it, couldn't move and was drifting into the main channel where the "ginnies" scream past. I had my family with me and my Dad and we went over and ended up towing him back to Tipplers where he was camping. He wasn't sure if he should use his V-sheet as he thought it was for mayday calls only. A quick explination that being in distress as he was is justification for it he was very appreciative. Apparently his course instructor didn't explain it to him that way.

Anyway it is your responsibility as skipper to assist if you can and without putting you or your crew in further danger. Even if you just relay a call to the VMR and shadow the vessel for safety is much better than doing nothing.

Chris

robersl
13-10-2008, 06:25 PM
i towed a bloke from coochin creek to donnybrook a couple of years ago he had three kids in the boat and was using a paddle at low tide to push his way down stream said he was ok only trouble was when he got past hussey creek he would of been against the incoming tide when i pointed this out he gratefully accepted a tow

shane

FNQCairns
13-10-2008, 06:26 PM
the my moblie is about 70 mtrs under the sea at the moment
when i was sea sick on my last trip , it was in my top pocket when a went for a spew it went bye bye

sorry but i dont understand this???
i understand the old boat bit, but still ,,,

Up until near the late 90s a person would hear somebody every single day call us the lucky country in person, media or wherever, flat out hearing it 3 times a year now and that will usually be from someone looking to gain something, it's been replaced by "the nasty county" and is expressed every day in a thousand ways, what happened to you wouldn't have happened 20 years ago...that's a guarantee.

cheers fnq

frank100
13-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Saw the "V" sheet
Went over to the boat, "can't start the motor"
Towed the boat back to the ramp.

I would hope I would get a tow if in the same situation.
FNQ I would have to disagree about the turning point thing, there have always been pricks around.
Frank

TOPAZ
13-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Vee sheet is an International Distress Signal, and if you see one displayed, you are obligated BY LAW to assist, UNLESS it would put your vessel in danger to do so, in which case, you assist in any other way that you can ( Relay distress or Pan Pan call etc.)
As an aside to this, it was mentioned in the original post that they were also waving with no result.
There is a SPECIFIC method of waving to attract attention in the case of assistance being required - this is so a 'social' wave or greeting is not mistaken for a distress wave or vice versa.
Move both hands with arms outstretched up and down from over the head, to down by the sides (as if trying to 'fly'!) Repeat for as long as necessary.

Richard

GardenGnome
13-10-2008, 09:34 PM
It's pretty obvious if someone needs help.
Hell, I give everyone a hello wave as we pass each other. Just the way I was brought up...(must be showing my age or something).

Hornet Rider
13-10-2008, 10:48 PM
About Feb this year, crossing the Hornybrook bridge heading north, early afternoon. Saw what looked like a very old worn out V sheet being held up, in a fashon, by a very grey haired old bloke in an even older looking glass cuddy cab about 300 metres or so on the eastern side of the bridge. Looked like he was anchored. His body language said he was tired of holding out the sheet & the elderly lady sitting in boat looked a bit worn out too. Had the CB on ch40 & asked if anyone on air can confirm if it was a V sheet. Someone else on the bridge piped up immediately, yes it was a V sheet & that they've just called tripple zero. Straight away someone else said , yeah definately a V sheet, they look okay & I've just called CG Redcliffe. I felt like a spare one at a wedding. It was heartening to be surrounded by clever people who were on the ball.

3rd degree
13-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Oops double post

3rd degree
13-10-2008, 10:51 PM
There's only one thing to do.

As already pointed out it is the law, and just reverse the situation, and put yourself in anothers position.

Cheers

Jim

Webby08
13-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Without a doubt you stop and see if they are ok, provided you dont endanger your self in the process.

White Pointer
13-10-2008, 11:12 PM
G'day,

Boat licensing is probably too easy.

We need a process where rules are acknowledged and tested as part of a learner process before driving skills are taught.

If we don't control this as a fraternity the law will take over and we will all be worse off.

Good thread discussion material!

White Pointer

bluefin59
14-10-2008, 05:46 AM
Without a doubt i would stop and render assistance as best i could as i would hope someone would do for me in the same situation it is the least you could do .....matt

Mindi
14-10-2008, 06:45 AM
makes for sad reading doesnt it

ozscott
14-10-2008, 07:38 AM
I think most people change for the better on the water - normally there is no shortage of assistance, but then again Im used to the bay, whereas around the goldie inland its a crazy ballgame. Apart from people who I dare say wouldnt know the first thing about boating sometimes despite having very large appendages.....errr....power boats.....no one seems to know the laws of the water (read they CANT DRIVE!!!). I have had a gutful of the broadwater and despite it being a beautiful waterway I would only go there again with my family mid week and on a work day.

Cheers

garman1
14-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Truckies wave to each other, boaties give other a wave as you go past, well I do.... surely if someone was waving a v sheet at you and waving their arms, it must register that there is something wrong surely.

Is common sense is in short supply these days as well as common courtesy!

royslaven
14-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Towed a bloke in to redland bay one day, his young son was starting to get frightened because the wind was getting up, his boat was a heap of crap and he shouldn,t have had it out judging by it,s condition, hope he learned a lesson, anyway that was my good deed for the day, hope someone returns the favour if i need help sometime , regards roy.

reidy
14-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Respond do unto others what you would do unto yourself.
First rule of the sea help those in need.
D---a---- idiots would be the first to complain if they were left in that situation.
Cheers
Reidy

Tri N Hard
14-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Maybe everyone thought u were taken the piss being only 500 m from the ramp.just a thought i think i would have asked the question though

Moffy
16-10-2008, 07:39 PM
you've got to always stop - if it were in a more remote area - their lives may be endangered if you don't render assistance.

mind you - i get p!ssed off when you get taken advantage of - i was heading out to my favourite inshore spot a long while back and came upon a 4m tinny that had 5 people on board - said their motor had broken down and needed a tow - so i dutifully pulled them in tow (with my own 4m tinny with 30hp doing a wonderful couple of knots.

they had been heading out the reef i found out (15-20 nm offshore) and had their problems) - i towed them back towards wonga beach (off the Daintree for those not in the know) and got about 1 mile off the campsite (they were staying at a local caravan park) and suddenly their motor started.

they had simply sety out with not even enough fuel for their journey (in fact they didn't have enough to get back from where i put them in tow- they were also a bit under the weather......) so for their ignorance/stupidity/drunkeness - they got a free tow 5 miles back to a point close enough to their base that they were happy they had enough fuel to get home - and for me - i used a hell of a lot of fuel and missed the early morning bite at my favourite inshore reef - as much as it'd tempt me to next time tell them "I'll pick you up on the way home" you've got to do it again next time - safety on the water is paramount and i'd want someone to help me out if i was ever in trouble..

Moffy.

Angla
16-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Of course I would.

I have been in the situation when I needed a tow from 500 metres infront of the Mooloolah mouth and put up the V Sheet, Only to watch for 15 minutes while 1/2 a dozen boats went by. Eventually one came over to assist with a tow. Thanks matey. I was not in a rush as I would have pulled a flare if I was in more distress and I also had a radio that I could use to call VMR. I was just after a short tow to the Kawana ramp after all as the engine had failed to fire due to bad coils.

In the same breath, I would like to say that I have helped a boatie with a tow to Moreton when his tinnie lost power. He was staying at the top of Moreton and had drifted some 3 Km. He was on his 4th flare when I spotted the last of the red glow off in the distance. I felt morally obliged to turn that direction and investigate and did so without hesitation.

Chris

anthonyc
17-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Mate and i broke down one day and tried to row back for at least a good 45 mins before anyone bothered stopping to check if we were ok, and giving us a tow back to the ramp. If someone looks stuck ill always offer a hand, not that my little dinghy could do much, but i still offer. But we have been stuck out a few times and the amount of people who just wave back and keep going is amazing.

Hornet Rider
18-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Just a tad off topic, but in reading the replies to the V sheet question, I see there are quite a few people who've kindly given a tow to broken down/out of fuel boats - hats off to those who have done that. Someone started a thread a little while back telling their tale of woe with serious engine trouble after they kindly towed someone back to a ramp. Searched for that thread but can't find it, but the morale of the story, with others adding similar tales of engine damage after giving someone a tow, was that unless your motor is propped for towing, be very careful. The lugging effect can do some nasty damage, apparently. Put me off being Robin Hood & offering to tow someone. Would stay with them to help, take them onboard if there was no alternative, or put a call into police, CG or VMR for them if they didn't have a radio or phone, but towing them wouldn't really be an option. Unless of course they were just 500m or so from the ramp ;).

Found that thread..... http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?p=850068#post850068

Foxy4
19-10-2008, 04:28 AM
I would for sure. It is the right thing too do and I would hope that if ever I had the need to fly the V sheet that others would call over too see what assistance I needed.
I saddens me to think that has happened too you down there.

wayno60
19-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Im guessing you may have been a victim of the gold coast mentality. "It's all about me" While I know not all gold coasters are tools, a hell of a lot of them are, and they dont give a dam about others.

I agree fully,
Last easter we ventured out into the broadwater in a house boat and the clowns in their riviers'a and the like, only have one speed...........i know in the main channels they can do what ever they like, but broadwater house boats were not made for four foot swells hiting you from both side...
Needless to say we got to where we were going and only moved to the next spot if we could take short cuts around the back of islands and creeks.

and i also know what a v sheet means...and would always stop and help if posible.

Red60
23-10-2008, 06:49 AM
I always help a fellow boatie. Helped tow back a small tinnie last summer that put up a V Sheet when out of fuel. Towed at very low speeds, and it put no noticeable strain on my little 60.

Do to others that you would like done to you!

Sea-Dog
25-10-2008, 12:27 AM
Would towing at very low speeds (around 1200-1500 revs) cause no potentially damaging lugging effect on the towing vessel's motor?

nautical prince
25-10-2008, 08:58 AM
a mate had bought a older used boat, we decided to take it for a run around southport , broadwater ,
all was goin well after good run , so we called it a day and headed for the ramp, we got about 500mtrs from the ramp and all the electrics went dead and the motor cut out,, long story short it was a no go , so we drifted to the side of the channel and achored and put out our v sheet ,
we were anchored about 15mtrs from the middle of the channel, a heap of boat traffic went by and even waved at us as when we tried to signal them by waving our arms ,, we were there for about 45mins with about 15 boats and a crap load of jet skies with people looking at us but no-one coming over to see if we needed help , in the end a jetski licence instructor came over and called the vmr and we got a tow to the ramp ,,

do you stop if you see a v sheet???? , i do , i slow down when i see people working on there engine just to see if they are alright , i was disgusted to see people not giving a crap about another boatie broken down , is this a common thing to southport or is it everywhere ????
im only 25 but was taught about boating by my old man , is helping each other out getting lost with new boaties?????
Mate i know what ya mean i was broken down and a young bloke pulled up and i said can i get a tow to the ramp which was about 1km away and i couldn't paddle against tide. ahe said na mate need the fuel to keep sking and off he went and me pissed off. eventualy a guy with a young family in a 14ft tinnie coudlnt be more helpful he went right uot of his way i oferd him some cash but he replied no just help someone else out when the time comes and i live by that rule myself now and have done this same practice myself to help other boaties. HAPPY BOATING

FNQCairns
25-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Would towing at very low speeds (around 1200-1500 revs) cause no potentially damaging lugging effect on the towing vessel's motor?

Pretty safe just off idle say around 1200, still you are hardly moving at those rpms with a boat in tow.

cheers fnq