PDA

View Full Version : How did the Monduran Familly Comp Go

BR65
12-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Anyone fish it, was wondering about the overall results??
cheers
brian

Steve B
13-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Brian and everyone.

Firstly Brian, Sorry about the ordinary trip to the big A. If you cant catch them, then it was tough fishing!!!

I was going to post a report last night after reading the interest and questions in Bass here at Monduran but I was KNACKERED!!

The MASA family fishing classic was a great success, unfortunalty the weather was crap to say the least, especially at the worst times around presentations and lucky draws!!! We had 840 (record) competitors, and would have been over a 1000 if not for the rain!! The comp ran really smoothly..as it was my first year, I was amazed at the efficiency of such a small number of dedicated MASA workers to pull off such a big comp. Poor Rob at the park and his family and workers were kept run off their feet all weekend but they did a great job. the crowds were excellent. Kids had a great time too..with heaps of mud and free givaways they loved it!!

For the fishing side.

I manned the upper weigh station (where all the action was) and we weighed in 40...yes 40 Bass....heaps more were caught and released too. The secret weapon was live schrimp, with a couple trolled up as bycatch to barra!!!
It was refreshing to see so many people opting to release their fish (without persuasion!)

5 barra weighed in for the whole comp...biggest was 117cm 28kg. All were released too. (1 died).

The usual 1.2 tonnes of catties were weighed in and now are being taken on ice to the bundy cold stores to be used as crab bait.

I managed to fish off the bank at the weigh station for 10 minutes. I landed 2 catfish in 2 casts on a handline with the same piece of squid!!! I sat back down with 100% strike rate and had a refreshing beer!!...life doesnt get much better!!

All in all it was a top weekend, and I never heard anyone complaining about the lack of barra....it was a genuine family weekend. For the hard core fishos, it is still a great comp to be in because there is stacks of unfished water up the bays at the top of the dam...the majority of people either troll around basin or below white rocks, or bait soak for catties and bass. The boat ramp was not very busy as most people (myself included) left their boats in the water. There was VERY tight security from a guard and local SES. The ramps were very well organised. The fishing pressure will probably be worse around the full moon. So I highly reccommend the comp to anyone...I wished I could have fished now. $1000 bucks for the biggest barra would have been a good chance with so few caught. A mate of mine Paul Macay was leading with a 98cm for most of the morning....pipped at the post with 1/2 hour to spare.

I hope that covers most of the action from the weekend.

cheers steve

Peter4
13-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Yes Steve, but were many barra caught?.......;D

Oops - just read your updated/edited post. Many thanks;)

Pete

themissus
13-10-2008, 10:52 AM
I managed to fish off the bank at the weigh station for 10 minutes. I landed 2 catfish in 2 casts on a handline with the same piece of squid!!! I sat back down with 100% strike rate and had a refreshing beer!!...life doesnt get much better!!

cheers steve

Geez Steve, It's hard to improve on perfection!!;D ;D

Steve B
13-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Hey Kim,

It's hard sitting there and watching everyone else fish!! I borrowed a handline from a competitor and 1 little piece of squid!!! the rest is history.....satistfied my little urge at the time!!! ;D ;D

steve

themissus
13-10-2008, 11:30 AM
That is why Roo wont be my deckie for the No Blokes Comp.

Big_Ren
13-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Hey Kim,

It's hard sitting there and watching everyone else fish!! I borrowed a handline from a competitor and 1 little piece of squid!!! the rest is history.....satistfied my little urge at the time!!! ;D ;D

steve

So it was a SQUID-gie Stink Rig Steve;D Sorry...couldn't help myself. Sure you only had ONE refreshing ale?;) Catch up with ya for a quick coffee next Monday morn.

Cheers
Paul

Big_Ren
13-10-2008, 12:20 PM
That is why Roo wont be my deckie for the No Blokes Comp.

Kim

It would pain Roo no end to see you smash his PB and he could not do a darn thing about it;) Except sabotage your rigs.

Cheers
Paul

NAGG
13-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Hey Kim,

steve

I thought a bit of Calamari would entice those WOG barra for sure ;D ....... Now who was it that coined that Phrase ::)

themissus
13-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Kim

It would pain Roo no end to see you smash his PB and he could not do a darn thing about it;) Except sabotage your rigs.

Cheers
Paul

What??? Rivalry between Roo and I...surley not.::) I need him there so he can tie my knots...you have a good point. Damn I'm going to have to learn to tie rope after all.
Cheers Kim.:)

chewy01
13-10-2008, 12:50 PM
not sure if id leave the ally in the water steve it may dissolve overnight... :) :)

Steve B
13-10-2008, 02:50 PM
not sure if id leave the ally in the water steve it may dissolve overnight... :) :)

oooh thats harsh!

there was a bloke in a poly parked next to the weigh in station....It was half full of dead catties and empty beer cans before someone realised it wasn't a wheelie bin.

Steve

paul, See ya next week. I actually had a QUIET weekend too. No partying!! just working and sleeping....with a few beers in between of course!

Pete62
13-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Good one. LMFAO

themissus
13-10-2008, 03:24 PM
oooh thats harsh!

there was a bloke in a poly parked next to the weigh in station....It was half full of dead catties and empty beer cans before someone realised it wasn't a wheelie bin.

Steve

paul, See ya next week.

Yeah ok I'll pay that one.

eotbmg
13-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Handlines hey, your starting to show you skill now. i would have peed myself if a big girl jumped on, you would have been Jesus christ and walked on water!!!!!!
Thanks
Ben

Rob wood
13-10-2008, 08:51 PM
we drank to much stayed up to late probably a good thing caught no fish
Paul McKay caught a 98 cm while casting and was pipped at the post by a guy who trolled up a 117 cm barra
Dale Smith also caught one on the first day
these guys did well casting with the weather so cold and wet

Steve B
13-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Handlines hey, your starting to show you skill now. i would have peed myself if a big girl jumped on, you would have been Jesus christ and walked on water!!!!!!
Thanks
Ben

Benno We spoke about barra on a handline!!! how fun would that be!!!! cheap too!!;) I am sure its been done plenty of times before!! Actually we caught a 95cm at booraloola one year on a handline we called 'the specuator '.....It was a handline with a lump of dead bait on it we chucked out on the oposite side of the boat to where we were live baiting.....we just chucked the reel on the floor of the boat and forgot about it....until it started rattling around the floor....nice barra attached!!

Mabey the weapons of black destruction could use them......might save on lost/broken rods!!;D Sounds like they are havin fun at Tinaroo.!

See ya soon mate, the hat is still here!

steve

Steve B
13-10-2008, 09:03 PM
we drank to much stayed up to late probably a good thing caught no fish
Paul McKay caught a 98 cm while casting and was pipped at the post by a guy who trolled up a 117 cm barra
Dale Smith also caught one on the first day
these guys did well casting with the weather so cold and wet

Woodsy, what the hell are you doing on here!! dont you have my pub to run!! Poor old Milo (paul) was on cloud 9 after he landed that barra. We all thought that would be enough to win. I actually wished he had of won..deserved too...good fisherman...just like you Rob;);D

Steve

chewy01
14-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Hey steve you do realize you willl have to leave spuds shed to fish the abt dont you????

BR65
14-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Steve, youve talked me into it, Ive just booked the last house for the 2nd weekend in October next year, subject to that being the dates of the family comp.
Im gunna go up, fish gentlemans hours, drink large amounts of beer at nite, and generally act like a normal fisho, instead of the IBD crazed weirdo Ive become.
However, I will NOT be packing any squid, no matter how chillaxed I plan to be.;) ;D

Steve B
14-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Steve, youve talked me into it, Ive just booked the last house for the 2nd weekend in October next year, subject to that being the dates of the family comp.
Im gunna go up, fish gentlemans hours, drink large amounts of beer at nite, and generally act like a normal fisho, instead of the IBD crazed weirdo Ive become.
However, I will NOT be packing any squid, no matter how chillaxed I plan to be.;) ;D

wheres ya sense of adventure Brian, the old squid never fails..;) Your plan sounds like a pretty good one for the comp. Its a great social weekend.....but you can still fish hard. There wasnt a lot of 'serious' cast and release folk...the ones that did were the ones that got the barra.

Chewy, theres something in the mail for Andy! Spud shed is not a shed....its an 'official ABT team planning preraration and coordination centre' where serious tactical planning, consulting and implementation strategies are developed...so I thank you for not referring to it as just a shed!;):P Occassionally some light refreshments are required during these highy stressful stategic meetings.;);D

steve

DEANO68
14-10-2008, 07:23 PM

so the muster in september also brian..??? we will be doing awonga and mondy next sept, so prob same gents hours and couple of beers at nite, went for a quick jack hunt with nath this arvo no luck but said your up next month, but i think your the weekend before us..is that correct..??

NAGG
14-10-2008, 07:31 PM
wheres ya sense of adventure Brian, the old squid never fails..;) Your plan sounds like a pretty good one for the comp. Its a great social weekend.....but you can still fish hard. There wasnt a lot of 'serious' cast and release folk...the ones that did were the ones that got the barra.

Chewy, theres something in the mail for Andy! Spud shed is not a shed....its an 'official ABT team planning preraration and coordination centre' where serious tactical planning, consulting and implementation strategies are developed...so I thank you for not referring to it as just a shed!;):P Occassionally some light refreshments are required during these highy stressful stategic meetings.;);D

steve

how do you rate an invite to these piss ups :P ..... I need something to do with my spare time next year;D

chris

Steve B
14-10-2008, 07:39 PM
how do you rate an invite to these piss ups :P ..... I need something to do with my spare time next year;D

chris

Your welcome mate! you can never plan too much.;) Sending you a PM Chris.

steve

BR65
14-10-2008, 07:49 PM
so the muster in september also brian..??? we will be doing awonga and mondy next sept, so prob same gents hours and couple of beers at nite, went for a quick jack hunt with nath this arvo no luck but said your up next month, but i think your the weekend before us..is that correct..??

yeah, miss you by a week Deano, Im up first weekend in November. The muster is a given, Im kickin myself for missing the inaugural one, but commitments had to be dealt with.
I looked at Steves thoughts re the whole laid back side of the comp, and thought that sounds good to me, besides, its generally on when my RDO weekend comes around, and if I dont fish there Ive only got Awoonga, and we all know how that went:-[ :'( >:( :'( :-[

Did you fish Naths land based spot, now thats what I call gentlemans fishin....

DEANO68
14-10-2008, 07:55 PM
yeah, miss you by a week Deano, Im up first weekend in November. The muster is a given, Im kickin myself for missing the inaugural one, but commitments had to be dealt with.
I looked at Steves thoughts re the whole laid back side of the comp, and thought that sounds good to me, besides, its generally on when my RDO weekend comes around, and if I dont fish there Ive only got Awoonga, and we all know how that went:-[ :'( >:( :'( :-[

Did you fish Naths land based spot, now thats what I call gentlemans fishin....

yea brian, think its the spot,bit warmer and i think it will be fun, two little jacks there last week on the warm days..couple of after work beers , flick, chat...yea good end to a day....8-)

BR65
14-10-2008, 08:00 PM
yea brian, think its the spot,bit warmer and i think it will be fun, two little jacks there last week on the warm days..couple of after work beers , flick, chat...yea good end to a day....8-)

that famous quote:

"hows the serenity"

gold

DEANO68
14-10-2008, 08:02 PM
that famous quote:

"hows the serenity"

gold

at least you can spell it rite...:)

BR65
14-10-2008, 08:10 PM
at least you can spell it rite...:)