PDA

View Full Version : How capable is a quintrx 470 runabout for close in-shore work

patrol50
10-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Gday guys ;D just wondering if anyone takes a rig like a quintrex 460/ 470 coast runner runabout / 50 hp 4 stroke or a similar type rig in Stacer, Stessel, or Sea Jay for closer inshore type fishing on the really good days to reefs like currimundi reef , halls reef , and the coffee rock shows off moreton island etc 8-) - and if so how is the rig tricked up (if at all) to do that i.e 2 bilge pumps etc - quite happy to take on the top end of moreton bay etc but just a bit edgy about slipping off shore to the close in reefs even on the good days - so be really interested in the feedback from those that may occassionally do that in similar type rigs
thanks and see you rob >:(

backlash08
10-10-2008, 06:10 PM
used to fish the murphys in a 4.75 tinny and i wasnt the smallest at all out there, pick you days though

pubgolf
10-10-2008, 09:27 PM
i use a 510 coast runner with an 80 hp yammy 4stroke to fish the reef 25 mile off cairns in 10-15 kn winds
and im still here
:thumbsup:
Rod

sleepygreg
10-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Used to fish the Peak off Sydney in a 4.5m quinny lazeabout with a 50 on it. Thats about the same distance as Deep Tempest from scarby....although its open ocean nearly all the way....except for the crap through botany heads or Port hacking mouth. Just watch your weather and know your boat and your personal capabilities.

Greg

SummerTrance
10-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Below is a link to a thread from a while back. Check the post by sunnycoastmark. He has a 4.5m centre console and describes the conditions he looks for when fishing those area's.
I was also chatting to a fella a couple months ago at the Kawana ramp, who had a Quinny 475 coastrunner with a 60hp. He regularly fishes off mooloolaba, and said he usually goes up to the reefs off coolum. He said he feels very comfortable in that size boat. I was asking him cause I have a Stacer 475 easyrider, and was wondering the same thing as you. Ive been looking to get out up there myself, but things havnt worked out yet with the right weather and days off.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=128937&highlight=close+reefs+mooloolaba

patrol50
11-10-2008, 09:33 AM
thank you guys very much appeciate the reponses - very much a confidence thing in your own ability i realise because i have no doubt i will chicken out in a difficult situation well before the boat does - but nice to get solid feedback from others who have a few clues on this sort of issue and i will check that link summertrance
see you rob

quigley595
11-10-2008, 01:09 PM
I use a quinnie 4.75 and go out to Gneerings, Murphys, Currimundi reef all the time. Wind has to be less than 15 and swell less than 1.5/ Very comfortable at this, though I wouldnt go out too much further.

I do have a bilge pump.

Mike

sleepygreg
11-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Rob,

Chickening out before the boat does is one of the best rules of seamanship i can think of. It has saved many lives and saved the VMR/Coastguard many unecessary trips over the years. It also shows you are responsible regarding your own safety and that of others. Keep thinking that way. Your seamanship will improve with experience, as long as you maintain your respect for the sea.

Greg