09-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Come across this,

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24471234-5013016,00.html

Mutant Fish??

Glad I'm here and that's there.

Cheers

Benno1
09-10-2008, 06:08 PM
cooolies...enlarged whiskers/tiny eyes...must be very dirty water...makes you wonder what the hell else is in there???...good find DCH :D

Mrs Benno1

Shagga
09-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Would you try and get your hook back or just cut the line?...........cut the line.

mookyandlumpy
09-10-2008, 06:29 PM
would you eat anything that is in the water where you put your dead ????

tunaticer
09-10-2008, 06:31 PM
It looks to me like a media crap fest as usual, about 1% truth in it.

Jack.

mik01
09-10-2008, 07:02 PM
questions...

I thought catfish teeth are so small they would have to literally gum you to death?

how would it rip you apart and kill you when only sharks with huge teeth in rows can achieve that?

i guess it could drown you by not letting go and dragging you out but surely 'hunting humans' is a little far fetched?

kingtin
09-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Looks more like a sturgeon than a catfish?

kev

goat boy
09-10-2008, 08:24 PM
reminds me of those redneck fishing comps in the US where they catch the giant catfish 'by hand' (I think they find a catfish nest and taunt it until it latches onto their arms and is then wrestled to the surface). I can't remember what they call this 'sport' though....I guess maybe it's sort of plausible that if you were incredibly weak or feeble it could drag you under and you would drown if it wouldn't let go...get you in good steed for the darwin awards maybe

xrnath
10-10-2008, 11:26 AM
would you eat anything that is in the water where you put your dead ????

or even swim in there? :o

Dirtysanchez
10-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Only catchable if you use a "hand" line
Bahahahahahahahahaha :D

Cammy
10-10-2008, 03:08 PM
reminds me of those redneck fishing comps in the US where they catch the giant catfish 'by hand' (I think they find a catfish nest and taunt it until it latches onto their arms and is then wrestled to the surface). I can't remember what they call this 'sport' though....I guess maybe it's sort of plausible that if you were incredibly weak or feeble it could drag you under and you would drown if it wouldn't let go...get you in good steed for the darwin awards maybe

im uploading a pic of the fish for people with slow comps liek me>:(

Its called "Catfish Noodling" and only idiots do it, i no its sport and all but wading out into a river with a couple of mates to go and find sunken logs and cat holes to stick your hand in wrestle the fish out that could take several minutes, and somtimes lose a finger or part of your hand while your at it from the turtles and other things with teeth in those strange holes, is beyond me! lol no way am i gonna stick my hand in a hole for a catty to bite me lol.

As for the main topic, the "chasing after humans" is a load of crap, just cause it has been seen eating some humans floatin by in its natural habitat where it feeds, doesnt mean its gonna come after you lol and anyway dead human and alive human might have a different taste? i guess it depends on how long theyd been dead for?

Also it looks like a giant one of the aquarium fish thos Crazy American people keep ;D

Cam

rando
11-10-2008, 04:33 PM
KingTin
Agree,,, somewhat sturgeonish.

If they are dumping human barbqued remains in the river ,its a fair bet, a few bull sharks are lurking around.!!!

oldboot
13-10-2008, 10:24 AM
I recon it is entirely plausable......I mean the langage is a but "Dun Dun Dun ARRRRGH."

They are talknig about small boys being taken & these will be skinny undernurished kids to. so proably about the size of one of our healty 6 year olds.

And I don't think hunting would realy be the right term.

and yeh the dumping of bodies in the river would give an extra food source for some extra growth.

but the whole bit about " getting a taste for human flesh".... sounds like some wannabe spielburg journilist.

so probable truth of the matter.
There is this big fish.... some of them grow quite large indeed.....an extra food source in the form of dead bodies MAY be allowing some of these fish to grow larger than they otherwise would.
It is posible that a few small boys that have been doing the wrong thing in the wrong place at the wrong time MAY have got munched by this or some other thing.. probaly not a crock or a shark because it is a long way from the ocean and proably gets a bit cold in winter.

Yeh I recon it is plausable.

Hunting down humans..... ARRRGH........ probaly not.
Taste for human flesh........EEEEEK........ proably not

Bumped into something in the water small enough to get in its mouth.... maybe.

cheers

RAT-KING
13-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Cool its great 2 c the fish r finall getting some back!!!

Dignity
14-10-2008, 07:36 AM
Our fish has acquired a taste for BBQ humans but has now resorted to getting it fresh - arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! not a parrty I want to go to regardless

reidy
14-10-2008, 02:05 PM
NATURAL PROGRESSION MAN EATS FISH THEN FISH EATS MAN.;D
Thats fair
Cheers
Reidy

sparkyice
19-10-2008, 02:51 AM
it took a bit, but i found the straight dope online about this fish.
real scientific data.
says they eat crustaceans and shrimp and the like, said nothing about humans.
here in the u.s. we use chicken livers for catfish bait, and they like em pretty rank.
could a big catfish feast on a rotting corpse? i suppose they would. nature doesn't waste protein.
as far as the "crazy americans" noodling for catfish, yeah, theres them that do!
i would'nt be able to drink enough beer to try it myself, though.
just for fun, i'm willing to bet there are a more than a few ausie rednecks that do things just as crazy as noodling!!
so... what do y'all do down under that could compare?

oldboot
19-10-2008, 09:41 AM
We go fishing and crabbing in crocodile infested waters:o .

There was a bloke taken a week or so ago...they found one of his sandals and his video camera..... not good.

On a recent episode of "Adventure Bound" there is a shot of this lady hands over the side of the boat with a decent sized barra'......when the fishing guide started to get little adgetated.......telling her to hurry up......then you see the crock" crusin up behind the boat.

cheers