PDA

View Full Version : 2nd hand boat inspection?

goat boy
08-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Hello all,

I've decided to buy myself a boat, and am thinking that I can get a decent 2nd hand one for the money I'm looking at spending as opposed to new. The problem is, I'm a boat noob and have no idea at what I should be looking for when inspecting a 2nd hand boat. My question is, is there somewhere/someone you can pay to inspect for you (like RACQ can do with 2nd hand cars)? and/or is there a website that can list some pointers on things to look for?
I've had a while to do nothing but read up on boats and I've decided that I'd like to get a 4.55 polycraft. I'll be doing mostly river/estuary work but I do live near Moreton Bay so I guess I'll try heading out in sheltered areas of the bay. I'm looking at spending up to $20k total so please let me know of any suggestions other than the polycraft that might be better value

Cheers

Goat

Bandit1
08-10-2008, 11:08 PM
Hi goat boy,

Not sure if he does it or not but u could try sending Grand Marlin a pm as he seems to be the one to talk too about work on boats around here and comes highly recommended at that.

Cheers
Bandit

mik01
09-10-2008, 12:11 AM
the website for things to look out for is here - you found it!
search for a few common terms on the 'boating thread' (this one) like 'boat inspection' or 'new boat' etc.

there are always threads started on the subject. hell, I even started one over a year ago when faced with the same dilemma as yourself!

will also give you the names of a couple of mobile boat inspectors. I didn't use one, as after 3mths of hardcore searching I became fairly knowledgeable with what to avoid and knew what I wanted and what it cost.

if you're buying a polycraft, I would suspect all that you need to have inspected is the outboard - there is a website for polycraft owners - try googling it.

good luck

ps - suggestions on alternatives can only be given if you give us more info - what is your tow car, where do you want to go in the boat, do you have adequate storage area, do you want an open boat or runabout/half cab etc etc

ie why did you decide on the polycraft in the first place (what attracted you to that particular boat?).

Hornet Rider
09-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Hi Goat, there's a marine tech on here called BM who's been in the industry for a long time. He's in Vic but he's produced a useful entry level book called Boat Inspections Made Easy, & for about $20 I found it very useful. PM him if you want a copy. Combine that with doing some research on here, following-up on the polly owners website & then posting specific questions on here, then you will greatly improve your base knowledge. If you do your homework, take your time & be patient you should fined something that is worth the money & what you want. Hope it goes well.

cheers, HR

dnej
09-10-2008, 12:29 PM
Cant go past Grand Marlin.

Been doing it for years.Pete is a Nice bloke to boot.
Do a search on this site, and send him a PM.
David

squizzytaylor
09-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Hello all,

I've decided to buy myself a boat, and am thinking that I can get a decent 2nd hand one for the money I'm looking at spending as opposed to new. The problem is, I'm a boat noob and have no idea at what I should be looking for when inspecting a 2nd hand boat. My question is, is there somewhere/someone you can pay to inspect for you (like RACQ can do with 2nd hand cars)? and/or is there a website that can list some pointers on things to look for?
I've had a while to do nothing but read up on boats and I've decided that I'd like to get a 4.55 polycraft. I'll be doing mostly river/estuary work but I do live near Moreton Bay so I guess I'll try heading out in sheltered areas of the bay. I'm looking at spending up to $20k total so please let me know of any suggestions other than the polycraft that might be better value

Cheers

Goat

Gday Goat boy,
If you are looking for a poly, your 20 g's would get you into a brandnew 4.5-455 with a 4 stroke 60 hp without too many worries and you should get a basic electronics and safety pack within that budget too.
The 455 has been superceded by the 4.5 drifter now and dealers that still have a 455 in existence will do you amazing prices on the old stock, perhaps a call to poly in Bundaberg may put you on the right track.

Cheers
Geoff

goat boy
09-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the replies, some more useful info to arm myself with. I decided I liked the polys as they're simple but tough (I do like my toys and have a tendency to play hard when i get overexcited...tears usually ensue...mine) and I don't need to worry about rust/electrolysis. The frontrunner (my prefferred option) is nice and open but looks spiffy enough to keep the missus happy on the odd occassion she'll wish to join me and isn't so big I'll always need at least 2 people to use it.
I'm well aware of polyboatowners.com and have become an avid reader of the forums there. The car I'll be using to tow it is a 2.6lt diesel courier and will never have to be towed far as I live in the bayside area in Brisbane and next year I'll be living and working on the tweed coast mon-fri's.
I'll be happy to go out into the sheltered areas near both those areas but can't see me wanting to do much more than that.
I realise I can pick up a new frontrunner for around $20k but over the last few months I've noticed a few 2nd hand ones around that look in good nick with few-many extras for decent prices. I haven't ruled out a new boat, it's just at this stage I'm thinking with the right info, I could nail a 2nd hand one with extras and still have money to play with afterwards. Thanks for the input so far