PDA

View Full Version : Lewis 590 Walkaround

dsma@rky
07-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Looking for anyone that may have this model boat. I am currently trying to decide on a boat for general family and fishing around the Keppels area in CQ.

This Lewis boat provides extra flexibility of having the walkaround the cab to allow the kids to fish up the front. I am comparing with the 5.8m aluminium bowriders.

Given that this Lewis boat is relatively new to market I am interested in whether anyone has had any experience with swells of between 1 and 2 metres and generally any feedback at all.

Reel Blue
07-10-2008, 08:07 PM
My understanding is that this is the same boat that was previously known as Southern Star and prior to that, Southwind. If this is correct a friend owned the original Southwind with a 115 Yamaha Four stroke, and it was a good hull. It had a deep deadrise of I think 23 degrees and was quite heavy for its size giving an excellent ride in chop. There isn't a great deal of room in the self draining cockpit, with some space given over to the walkaround, but it makes a good compromise for the family and still has room for ideally two or maybe three anglers offshore. He had it out over the Wide Bay bar several times in some reasonably rough conditions without seeing any vices. Today they look like good value. I'm uncertain of the build quality although I believe the warranty might be ten years so they must have faith in the product if this is true.

The-easyrider
07-10-2008, 08:28 PM
I had a bit of a look at them at the boat show and seemed quite well put together if they had been released when I was in the market they would been on the list as they appear to be good value for money , The guy at the show said they were built on the old southwind hull, they had an interesting grid system of stringers under the floor, and as Lewis build a dam fine ski boat I am sure the quality will be carried into their fishing boat range

dsma@rky
07-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Thank you for your responses. It all helps when trying to make this very difficult decision.

Scalem
09-10-2008, 07:19 AM
I also saw this boat at the show and had a little chat with one of the guys. When I questioned the construction used around the transom which is my single most important issue with glass, he said they use the latest processes that warrants the transom for 45 years:o I am still wondering if I had wax in my ears and misheard him, but he did go to length explaining that the marine ply used is treated or soaked or whatever the process is that renders the material ...... Idon't know if immune is the right word, but highly resistant to rot. Aside from that, I saw the boat as a stand out value amoungst the hoards, and there was another reason I liked it. From my standpoint Suzuki motors are earnng a lot of respect in the boating market, and offered on this package, very nice indeed;)

I saw one other comment somewhere on AF about it, something about the height of the walls of the walk around.... and the build quality compared to others. I think the point was weak, I didn't see any lack of quality in their build. Proof is in the pudding, it's the same cenario as when my mother bought her KIA. People were giving advice on resale value compared to other brands of cars. She bought the KIA, loves it, has had it 4 years and only clocked 12000K. It will outlast her.
The Lewis was so much cheaper than similar size boats in other brands. Will it have a good resale if you decide to sell it? The jury is out on that one.

Scalem

PinHead
09-10-2008, 05:11 PM
just a couple of observations...it seems quite light at only 820Kg. Where does the water drain to that will get in the walkway if a wave comes over the bow?

toothfish
10-10-2008, 08:05 PM
The moulds were originally from Buccaneer Boats in New Zealand,their 5.5m model, that were leased to Southwind & then Southern Star until they went into receivership in November 2006.Lewis Boats then took them over so when the ski boat market slowed down they had a fishing model to add into their range.