PDA

View Full Version : Awoonga Basics

flairj
07-10-2008, 06:12 PM
OK, so with my home Barra lake (Monduran) being invaded this weekend it's time for an overnighter to Awoonga. I'm going to leave sunday morning and fish the afternoon into a few hours after dark come in get some sleep and hit the water monday morning in the dark (3am) through to about mid morning.

Now, I have all the gear when it comes to soft plastics and hard bodies plus a few more of my own ideas and I'll be doing only casting. What I'm really after is more a shove in the right direction. So, which arm has been doing well lately? What king of depths should I be looking at for day time and after dark? What primary and secondary structure am I specifically looking for? eg. Weed beds (obviously) on points or in bays?

I'm not so much asking for specific spots but a broad stokes picture to get me started this weekend.

Thanks, Josh

p.s. yes, I have hollow bellies and will throw them on light jigheads.

Barraboy7
07-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Mate there is a heap of stuff on this in the threads over the past 2 weeks. Some of it comes up as a extra discussion within threads. Just read up on any recent Awoonga threads.
Cheers
Barraboy7

vet
08-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Awoonga has been invaded too Josh, it'll be a long walk up to the top car park here on the full moon weekend, it's already full mid week. There seems to be a lot of attention being placed on all the bays and points off the main basin at present, at least 3 boats in every bay last night. So one must assume that some fish are being caught in these regions but the high fishing pressure will make these areas less productive in the end. So try them if you like but I'd be trying to find some unoccupied territory up any of the arms at present, you'll also find the water temperature up the arms can be 2 degrees warmer than the main basin. The only arm that I haven't caught fish in lately is riverston and futter creek but this is because I haven't fished in either of these creeks.
Cheers scott.