PDA

View Full Version : Always Read The Signs

Gordie
06-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Acouple of years ago my wife and I were touring NZ in one of those little campervans. A good way to travel, free to go where you please.

I had a bait caster with me and several lures. Played around for Trout when I had the chance but mainly just touring.

We had a session with a Mauri fella over a few coldies. He was diving for and cooking up Lobster for his Sons wedding in a few days. You can imagine the conversation. Fishing Diving Fishing Boats and Fishing.

The end result was when we passed through Dunedin he was taking me out after Snapper. It didn't happen my wife would not let me pull him away from the wedding.

So here we were heading up the south island, looking at all that beautiful coast line and I was ready to fish. Remember I had an outfit that had pulled impoundment Barra to the net so I could handle anything NZ could dish out.

We arrived at a nice little town called Omaru and down to the waterside for lunch. After that I grabbed my pack and rod and down to the rock wall around the boat harbour.

I rember thinking what is wrong with these Kiwi's, dont they see what I see.
This was one of the greatest spots you could imagine.

Sunny day, no breeze, light swell coming in, very clear water with a forest of giant Kelp waving with the swell. Thats when you get the feeling that it is great to be alive.

Killerlure Terminators were my favourite lure at the time, they had served me well back home. The trick was to cast out out beyond the kelp and run the lure deep through a clear patch and try to pull something out of the forrest.

After about 20 casts I was slammed and taken deep and rubbed off on the kelp. What a buzz. Hands shaking while I was tieing on a new leader. Seemed to take forever.

First cast, ripping it through the clear patch and here is a Penguin just a few mil behind my lure. Tables are turned, I am trying to not catch anything and they are fast. I got away.

Packed up the gear and it was one defeated fisherman who drove out of there, I think the signs read something like Please drive carefully, Penguin Colony.

Just as a foot note has everybody heard about "Didymo"

Roo
08-10-2008, 01:21 PM
hahaha. Good one Gordon. How do you prepare penguin for the table???haha.

Gordie
09-10-2008, 08:52 PM
G'day Roo, have you managed to pull anything out of the little gutter on the northside of the Potsville Creek.

I caught another big lizard on a soft plastic the other day on Bribie. A lure I would normally use for Barra.

If I ever come down again I would definately be going back for another shot.

oldboot
14-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Given the context of the thread was that a lizard... platycephalus..... or a lizard.... 4 legged reptile.

I often see a lizzard running up the gutter outside my place.... always wondered if it would take a lure;)

I hear a goana puts up a very good fight on light tackle.;D

cheers