PDA

View Full Version : Fishing at Buxton

garman1
05-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Hi all,

My wife and I are in the process of buying a piece of land at Buxton, (15 minutes walk from the boat ramp). I am wondering if anyone here has used the ramp and how user friendly is it, also how was the fishing/crabbing in general around the area? The fishing looks hopeful just along the foreshore without putting the boat in the water.

wayneoro
06-10-2008, 07:00 PM
mate there is a small fishing forum for your area fishntales i live in woodgate bch rivers round there are good fishing and crabbing

SeaHunt
07-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Hi Garry,
I am a bit envious, I go up to Burrum Heads once or twice a year, I have boated around to Buxton and fished from there to the mouth of the Burrum river and beyond, nice place still fairly quiet.
The ramp seems fine, there are no markers in that river at all until you start heading out the mouth and a few hazards to be aware of like a rock wall that goes about half way across the river just before you get to Buxton heading upstream. Then there is all the shifting sand banks, if you have Google Earth loaded, zoom into the Burrum river and you will get the idea.
As for the fishing, you have the usual suspects bream and flathead, supposed to be good jacks up the Gregory river which joins the Burrum just North of Buxton.
The mouth of the Gregory was pretty silted up last time I was there in January, I had to get out and push the boat over a couple of sand bars.
How big is your rig, it looks reasonable from what I can see in your pics?
If it is I would head straight out to the Burrum 8 mile on reasonable days. I've done pretty good out there, Queenies , AJ's, all sorts of Mackeral, Nanagai and a few Golden Trevs.
Toogoom and Burrum Heads have fishing clubs, don't know about Buxton, we usually go to the Toogoom comp Australia day weekend, good fun.
Here is a link to a local fishing site up there -
http://www.fishntales.com/

garman1
08-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Thanks Seahunt, I had a look at the google site and I was amazed at the various channels ........................... also noticed that there were no channel markers, mmmmmmmm now that will be fun. We were there on sat and sun, and there were only about 5 boat trailers in the parking bay on either day, so it seems to be a quiet area. When we went looking for land we found there was "no grafitti"anywhere!

We can just see the water (standing on tip toes) from our block of land, but the breeze was great. Will take up rods next time and have a play with plastics off the ramp and rock walls etc.

BladeRunner
09-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Hi Gary
Buxton I have a mate who lives there, I to have taken my boat and launch it from the ramp at Buxton. Can be a slippery sucker but thats not a problem.
Depth is a problem can be very shallow between tides. The locals do alright but come to sharing spots I am still working on my mate because every where we go we end up empty. Don't fish of the rocks to the left side looking to the water rocks are unstable just ask my wife she had a tumble. We won't go there.
Might catch up with you when I am in the area next. Lovley spot.
Blade Runner

garman1
09-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Thanks Bladerunner, we won't be there for a while, thanks for the heads up with the rocks. about the secret spots, when and if I find any I will post em in bold letters ......................... I hate spot x's, I wouldn't spread any marks that were given to me but any I find will be out there to help others, I hope.

We saw the bank and have the paper work going now, next is the "what do you build" .... a shed ... a transportable.... kit house...... get one built???? what about septic ? water tanks?? etc etc etc

Oh the fun, am looking forward to it but a bit worried too I guess

loveshak
11-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Garry,

Have bought some land at Buxton and plan to build 2010 early 2011 and semi retire. There are a couple of local builders (Childers) who have houses at Buxton and build houses at Buxton. I have noticed a couple of re located homes go up when i was up there November 09. My wife and I have had our own design put to plan and are waiting quotes. Hope to see you up here soon.

regards

Mark LOVE
Toowoomba

the gecko
12-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Awesome fishing, great ramp, youll be in heaven. Buxton has a deep hole to 60ft that holds jack, fingermark, barra, cod and all sorts. Sandbars are not a real problem if you take it easy. Not hard to work out with google earth and a gps. I did the run from Burrum heads to Buxton at low tide and just got thru on some spots, but its worth it. Anywhere with 200-100m upstream of the ramp is prime fishing.

For building, youll need to allow for your own septic/envirocycle and min 5000lt water tanks. Only a few builders will service that area from maryborough or childers, but those that do are reputable and not cheap. Expect to pay about 10-15k above the usual odds because of extra travelling time for subbies.

cheers
Andrew

garman1
12-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Things don't always pan out the way you want and it seems our plans have been put on hold...................... may have to wait till retirement to get to Buxton. Bugger.