PDA

View Full Version : Leisure cat 7m or 8m ??

Drain12
05-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Does anyone know how these boats compare (ride, functionality,build methods,speed v economy etc.)against Noosa cat or Kevlacat.

kozy cobia
05-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Does anyone know how these boats compare (ride, functionality,build methods,speed v economy etc.)against Noosa cat or Kevlacat.
A mates brother had a 7 m Leisure cat, while he had a older 7m shark cat and his coments were the leisure was O.K but i would stick to the Noosa or Kevla if there is not much diference in the price. In Queensland they have better resale value when you want to sell it.

Regards

Kozzy

Drain12
04-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks Kozzy, I just like the layout and options of the leisure cat and it is also pretty hard to find someone who has been in one and also been in a noosa cat or a kevla cat around the same size to compare ride quality performance etc. how old was the leisure cat your mates brother had ?

Drain12
27-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Just refreshing this thread,surely someone has been in one lately

cheers

bassfan
28-02-2009, 08:23 PM
I drive a 7m leasure cat on a regular basis and am pretty impressed with it. Have twin Suzuki 140 4 strokes on it and needs bigger donks in my opinion. Rated for twin 225s I think.
Only annoying thing which probably affects all cats, is the tendency for a fine spray from between the hulls ending up on the windscreen, other than that they are perfect, handle well and very stable for the length.
Can't really comment from experience on the Noosa & Kevlacats, but definitely like the Leasurecat.

cheers

Peter

trueblue
28-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Is that the boat associated somehow with the Sunny Coast Solas Propeller people?

bassfan
28-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Is that the boat associated somehow with the Sunny Coast Solas Propeller people?

If this question is directed at me, the answer is "no it isn't".:P

Drain12
28-02-2009, 11:21 PM
what sort of fuel ecconomy and speeds do you normally get, and how do they relate to conditions eg. 10-15 knots,15-20knots.

bassfan
01-03-2009, 07:26 PM
what sort of fuel ecconomy and speeds do you normally get, and how do they relate to conditions eg. 10-15 knots,15-20knots.

Fuel economy is excellent with the 4 stroke suzies, great motors. It has 2 x 250 litre fuel tanks, and you can go for days on that.

Cruises at 23 knots @ 4200rpm, full tit at 5000 rpm = 28 knots. Would absolutely fly with twin 200s, I reckon about 40 knots...;D

BF

dickiebabe
12-07-2009, 01:13 PM
I have been looking at Cats including the "Leisure Cat" they seem to stack up as very good value for money. I saw their new model the "Brumby 6000" (6 Mtr) at the Melbourne Boat Show, well equipped and delivered free to Tasmania for $80,000.00 very tempting. Has anybody else seen this boat?

julian1
12-07-2009, 07:47 PM
I have been looking at Cats including the "Leisure Cat" they seem to stack up as very good value for money. I saw their new model the "Brumby 6000" (6 Mtr) at the Melbourne Boat Show, well equipped and delivered free to Tasmania for $80,000.00 very tempting. Has anybody else seen this boat?

that particular boat was $80k for thet one at the show that was secondhand !! it was called a 6000 (6m) but really looked no bigger than a KC 5.2 :-/

gtphantom
21-07-2009, 08:34 PM
gday fellas just dropped in on your thread and I have to tell you I bought the twin to the boat you saw in Melbourne . It was the moist expensive mistake we've made in a long time!!! ours has cost us just under $110,000 au and we are well disappointed !! the service from Leisuerecat is less than satisfactory !!. We waited for nearly twelve months for delivery and have put about 80 hours on the water we are so upset that we are selling the rig less than four months on!! I can only say that you would be better with the Noosa 2300 we sea trialed one with honda 135's and was about $15K ---- money better spent much bigger boat

finding_time
21-07-2009, 08:38 PM
No good at all GT Phantom, apart from the shody service and time delay, what were your issues with the boat?

Ian

gtphantom
22-07-2009, 09:18 PM
generally a pretty poor experience with L/C ! the boat itself is not big enough , lenght or beam ,we had a custom built 6m Dolphin plate ally ,150 Sukuiki 4st previous and it was a biiiiiig 6m !!!this thing has no deck space for fishing , its got a cabin thats next to useless unless your a cross beween a Hobbit and a 12 year old russian gymnast
the ground tackle is nearly impossible to access and they have not made any provision for winches the list goes on but in our experience the the thing feels precarious especially in a following sea.

I have under taken to remove the opinion I made re: the stability at this time as L/C assure me that the adjustments they have suggested have rectified the issues -- I remain with an open mind but until we get more than an hour on the water under near perfect conditions I'll reserve any more opinion

without prejudice

Leisurecat
01-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Firstly I would like to apologise to GT Phantom for his unpleasant experience as I have done many times before.
The unstable issue that GT Phantom is talking about has nothing to do with the boat, or the hull but absolutely everything to do with the instalation of the engines which was done by him and the adjustment he made to the thrust tabs above his props. I went on a sea trial with him yesterday after setting the tabs back to factory settings where they should have been left. The boat performed perfectly and displayed none of the leaning characteristics he had been complainging about. We cruised at 31 knots across a small short side on chop and went behind Garden Island where we experienced some follwing swell, side on chop and swell and performed high speed full lock turns with ease and GT Phantom commented that the boat felt completely different and that he could not have done what we just did prior to my adjustments.
Some background now, he ordered his boat in July and bought it off the plans. A completely new model which hadn't even started mould production. Yes there delays but nothing that is unexpected with the production of a new model. We even went out of our way to give him the boat before it was finished so he could do things himself as he wanted to do most the fitout, wiring and engine installation which is the most expensive mistake we have ever made as it caused us delays and his poor experience with the handling was caused by his engine fit up. He took delivery in April this year behind schedule but not 12 months as he has commented.
The cost of his boat blew out because he decied to fit many extra's and customised bimini tops, custom trailer, top of the range E series Raymarine electronics, I can go on. Retail at the moment for a complete boat with everything is $90k, still good value. The offer I made to dickiebabe of $80k was for a BRAND NEW boat delivered free to Tasmania.
GT Phantom stated that "no provision has been made for an anchor winch, the list goes on" what GT Phantom ommitted to mention was that he has a Lewmar freefall anchor winch fitted to his boat, space for an anchor winch was thought of, so yes there is an option for an electric anchor winch if the client so wishes.
To compare our 6m boat to the 2300 Noosa Cat is unfair as it is a much larger boat both beam and length. The real comparison is with the Noosa Cat 1850which is the same length and beam as our boat.
At the end of the day we have gone out of our way to help GT Phantom and will continue to assist. We have sorted out the issue he had with the stability which was caused by his inexperience and now the boat runs well. Some people will always be unhappy with the service they get no matter what you try and do for them.

John Buoy
01-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Gees 120k of boat bought of a plan.
LC did very well IMO.
Was at the Melb boat show with julian
when we spotted the 2nd hand version
and both came to the same conclusion.

The sheila (saleslady) in the boat was a good sort lol

gtphantom
02-09-2009, 09:34 PM
I have an open mind --time will tell

cormorant
02-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Be good to hear a review now the bugs have been sorted. No use looking back. Hope it works out as that is one loaded boat for it's size

Leisurecat
07-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Fuel economy is excellent with the 4 stroke suzies, great motors. It has 2 x 250 litre fuel tanks, and you can go for days on that.

Cruises at 23 knots @ 4200rpm, full tit at 5000 rpm = 28 knots. Would absolutely fly with twin 200s, I reckon about 40 knots...;D

BF

I would suggest that if you are only getting 28knots and only 5000rpm at full throttle that there is something not right. Those engine's should be reaching 6100rpm and a pair of 140 suzuki's on our 7m will give top speed of 38-39knots. I would try some different pitch and diameter props to get the most out of your boat. happy to assist

Leisurecat
08-09-2009, 10:42 AM
generally a pretty poor experience with L/C ! the boat itself is not big enough , lenght or beam ,we had a custom built 6m Dolphin plate ally ,150 Sukuiki 4st previous and it was a biiiiiig 6m !!!this thing has no deck space for fishing , its got a cabin thats next to useless unless your a cross beween a Hobbit and a 12 year old russian gymnast
the ground tackle is nearly impossible to access and they have not made any provision for winches the list goes on but in our experience the the thing feels precarious especially in a following sea.

I have under taken to remove the opinion I made re: the stability at this time as L/C assure me that the adjustments they have suggested have rectified the issues -- I remain with an open mind but until we get more than an hour on the water under near perfect conditions I'll reserve any more opinion

with no prejudice

the day we sea trialed the boat was not near perfect conditions. Inside the sound we experienced .5m chop, nothing to put the boat through its paces, once behind the island there was a 2m swell running and a wnw wind approx 10-15knots with chop to 1m. What I would call a typical day, definitely not rough but a typical day.
Boat performed perfectly.

gtphantom
08-09-2009, 06:25 PM
as i said near perfect conditions -- when we get a bit of less typical conditions I'll be glad to report either way as I say I'm keepng an open mind I hope for everyone sake It's all good-- i'm trying to offload it at this time the wife won't get back on it --frightened!! the largest reason we sold the Dolphin to get a softer riding platform so as I say if anyone wants a new boat with all the go fast gear for a bit more than the cost of the povertyt pack L/C are peddling PM me and we'll talk L.C are putting there money where there mouths are !!

finding_time
08-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Gt Phantom

Mate i've never even seen a LC in the flesh let alone ridden in one ,but your comment that it felt precarious in a following sea sparked my interest! Comming from a Mono background and getting into cats i think all brands would feel precarious in a following sea the first few times, but feeling precarious and being precarious are 2 very differant things;) and if you stick with it in time you will realize the differance! Over the last few years i've made quite a few mono guys squeel !!!!;) ;D

Ian

gtphantom
08-09-2009, 11:53 PM
had brilliant reviews about there boats and seatrialed the islander --was a great boat but as I said to L/C 99% sure wouldn't have bought the Brumby if we had seen it in the flesh, they're standing 100% behind there product -- great! I changed my origional post to less harsh discriptions so we can give L/C the opportunity to make things right with our boat -- let me say that we havn't exactly kissed and made up !

PLAY HARD
16-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Not to sound dumb. But what are Thrust tabs and what effect will they have on a cat???????????????????
regards
dave :-/ :-/

finding_time
16-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Play hard

I believe the Thrust tabs are the little sacrifical anodes behind the props that have a fin on them! I believe that GTphantoms boat has counter rotating props so to my way of thinking they should be set straight , but i cannot for the life of me see how they would make the boat unstable!

Ian

gtphantom
18-09-2009, 02:51 AM
gday play hard
IMO they are there mainly for single O/B set up with cable steer to offset the weight on the steering as well to try and compensate for any vector from the thrust of the screw ---hoping to get out and put the boat thru it's paces on Saturday will let you know how it goes --should be a little less typical weather this weekend

bassfan
17-11-2009, 09:18 PM
I would suggest that if you are only getting 28knots and only 5000rpm at full throttle that there is something not right. Those engine's should be reaching 6100rpm and a pair of 140 suzuki's on our 7m will give top speed of 38-39knots. I would try some different pitch and diameter props to get the most out of your boat. happy to assist

Hi Leasurecat and thanks for the input. It's a Govt. vessel and we have an identical one at SW Rocks that for some reason has always performed much better. It has just been repowered with 150 suzuki 4 strokes and now it will get close to the 38 knot mark at WOT, but handling at that speed is hairy to say the least with a tendency to dip the stbd bow in every few seconds & you feel like you are going to roll. Have been playing with the trim settings a bit and have found if I trim the stbd motor down a bit & the port motor up it helps the rolling problem but at the expense of top end speed. After reading your earlier comments I'm wondering about the trim tab settings on the motors & where they should be set???

gtphantom
17-11-2009, 10:49 PM
hey bassfan after trying the trim tabs in all positions it makes absolutly NO difference to the handling or the precarious feel to the boat--- apart from the loss of speed at all rev ranges!! true story if you PM me I'll let you in on what I've done to fix the problems we've experienced--apparently we are the only ones who've had problems with the brumby

yantina
23-11-2009, 10:18 AM
i have no interest in this gt phantom any more other than to warn people how dangerous he is. i spent hours solving his supposed problems only to be shafted deluxe. oh he did send a letter and a cheque for $100.00 for nearly 8 hours work!
complaints made to the company i distribute for, leisurecat slapped around by him. enough! everybody owes this first time boaty, fly in fly out know all, a free ride
i really hope i can find out who he works for as he does tend to sit up north on some payroll being a computer bully. do some work KIMBERLEY!

for those that are interested, i sell propellers. i solved both problems that he rang me about and he tried to leave without paying for a set of props.

anybody requires the real story without going private messages just bring it on here and now.

yantina. sick of know nothings!

bassfan
23-11-2009, 07:52 PM
i have no interest in this gt phantom any more other than to warn people how dangerous he is. i spent hours solving his supposed problems only to be shafted deluxe. oh he did send a letter and a cheque for $100.00 for nearly 8 hours work!
complaints made to the company i distribute for, leisurecat slapped around by him. enough! everybody owes this first time boaty, fly in fly out know all, a free ride
i really hope i can find out who he works for as he does tend to sit up north on some payroll being a computer bully. do some work KIMBERLEY!

for those that are interested, i sell propellers. i solved both problems that he rang me about and he tried to leave without paying for a set of props.

anybody requires the real story without going private messages just bring it on here and now.

yantina. sick of know nothings!

Ouch..., glad I wasn't on the receiving end of this post...!:-X

Anyway back to the problem at hand, I adjusted the trim tab which on the port motor was angled outwards and it made no real improvement to the boats poor handling at more than 30 knots. So I'm open to suggestions on how I can make this boat stable at higher speeds ..... Any input apprecated.:P

gtphantom
24-11-2009, 01:02 AM
gday bassfan -- we changed prop pitches and blade configurations sliced off trim tabs so that they were flat toed the O/B's in slightly -- i suppose your 150's are C/R we also fitted the trim limit bars to the PTT -- but I'm no sure that this has made much of a difference -- only seem to have limited positive trim before it cavitates? I think on mine I'll need to drop the O/B's back down or loose the trim limit bar
spent a week at coral bay two weeks ago had some good days and one or two average ones with the set up at the minute and some opertaing instruction -- my background mainly from plate monos-- all seems to be acceptable even though we still are wary at higher speeds -- so far ours is running fairly well took the kids biscuiting today two guys at 100kilo each, but hey biscuiting -- on the river only chop from two other boats great to have time off mid week to do what you want!! one of the advantages of FI/FO work!!
get onto finding time or noelm they seem to have had a fair bit of experience from what I've read on these forums

bassfan
24-11-2009, 07:33 AM
gday bassfan -- we changed prop pitches and blade configurations sliced off trim tabs so that they were flat toed the O/B's in slightly -- i suppose your 150's are C/R we also fitted the trim limit bars to the PTT -- but I'm no sure that this has made much of a difference -- only seem to have limited positive trim before it cavitates? I think on mine I'll need to drop the O/B's back down or loose the trim limit bar
spent a week at coral bay two weeks ago had some good days and one or two average ones with the set up at the minute and some opertaing instruction -- my background mainly from plate monos-- all seems to be acceptable even though we still are wary at higher speeds -- so far ours is running fairly well took the kids biscuiting today two guys at 100kilo each, but hey biscuiting -- on the river only chop from two other boats great to have time off mid week to do what you want!! one of the advantages of FI/FO work!!
get onto finding time or noelm they seem to have had a fair bit of experience from what I've read on these forums

Yep the 150s' are C/R & it seems a shame to have the power to do 38+ kts but it just doesn't feel safe above 30 kts. If it were my boat I would stuff around as you have done with different prop configurations etc to get it sorted out, but alas I doubt the boss would want the expense & hassle. Will just keep it under 30 kts and stable.

Thanks for your input.

bassfan

gtphantom
24-11-2009, 08:59 PM
no problems mate I think the single biggest improvement has been the use of not so much negative trim I know on our boat the angle on the transom is quite large and if I'm not careful the O/B's swing under the transom and it does funny things especially in any sort of following sea

the limit bars seem to have sorted out that issue but as I said I don't get much positive trim from that pioint till I get cavitation ---walking a fine line so to speak it doesn't seem to need continual adjustment once under way either -- one good thing I suppose
if your gunna try changing to four blade props try the power tech ones -- honda use them as O.E. made in the U.S. cheaper than solas I think the agent is in NSW ---propulsion dymamics ? may have to check that
keep me up to date if you have any success
cheers

yantina
25-11-2009, 09:22 AM
bassfan. just gotta tell you, this guy is unreal. the reason for going to other props and not solas is that i have black listed him from purchasing solas world wide.
and he has tried without success.
i did tell kimberley that this was a small industry and not to close doors behind him. too late they are all shut.
btw. all this info he is handing over willingly to you.
it all came from this office
he knows nothing,but how to screw people who try to help
i have many emails to prove it

im off to sell props like i do every day. just hope no kim style customers enter today