PDA

View Full Version : Problem with 2007 Yamaha 40HP 4stroke

Haphazard1
05-10-2008, 09:49 AM
I have a 2007 40 horsepower four stroke outboard. I'm bery happy with it and it has been going fine, about 30 hours on it. Anyway the weather here has been crappy, its been cold and when the weather is looking up I'm at work so the boat has been under the house for about two months. Previously I would be out once a week / fortnight.

My problem is I noticed it had some oil leaking out of the oil drain plug at the bottom of the leg / gearbox. Took it back to the dealer and low and behold it will take 2 - 3 weeks for parts. They are saying the thread needs drilling out and a helicoil fitting. My personel opinion is that this is not the case unless they have cross threaded the plug and the seal is not square to the sealing face.

Has anyone out there experienced this issue? :o

I am hoping this is just another teething problem and it will not cause any long term effects, either on the motor or me. Anyway the boat is now all stripped out waiting for a coat of paint before going back when they have the parts.

cheers.

BigE
05-10-2008, 06:28 PM
I had an old Rude that had the same problem. Helicoil is cheap insurence you dont want water leaking into the gearbox.

BigE

captain rednut
05-10-2008, 07:02 PM
hi hap, dont let them do that a bit of thread tape or a thicker washer will stop the leak so why risk metal entering the gearbox in the drilling process? cheers jim

wiz
05-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Who took the drain screw out in the first place?
If it never leaked from brand new then how come that screw now does not hold a seal, there should be a washer in front of the head of the screw anyway so if there is not enough pressure by the screw head on that seal then the thread is stripped. So who is responsible for removing that screw and replacing it???? ( who did the service??)

Spaniard_King
05-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Haphaz, as wiz has eluded.. your being screw ed... shoody workmanship an has caused this issue...a helicoil will mean it's a last resort.. next time it will mean the gearbox is R@@TED.. which means they are taking this away from you..now.

IMO they should be replacing it.. but it will be an uphill battle to make that happen.. sorry.. good luck

Quaker
05-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Why can't they use a thread sealant like loc-tite?

Spaniard_King
05-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Why can't they use a thread sealant like loc-tite?

Because it isn't the thread that does the sealing.. its the matting surface of the drain plug and the gearbox:o

Quaker
06-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Because it isn't the thread that does the sealing.. its the matting surface of the drain plug and the gearbox:o

If that's the case then why are they drilling out the thread & using a helicoil? :-/

ozbee
06-10-2008, 11:50 AM
so the flat face holding the washer sits square to the housing. helicoil is no great deal

chewy01
06-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Except all helicoils iv seen are stainless steel so you are introducing i dissimilar metal into the gearbox and possible electrolytic action.Not sure how they are going to break off the helicoil tab without it ending up in ur gearbox though??

Haphazard1
10-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Guys,

The dealer did the service in the first place and noone has touched it prior to it leaking.

The dealer is stripping the leg to ensure that no debris will enter. Hence the three week wait on parts.

I am with you guys, I am still unsure as to why it leaked in the first place. I called them today and they will be pressure testing today so hopefully will be good to go next week.

thanks for you comments but it looks like this is a one off. I am not if this is good or not.
cheers.