PDA

View Full Version : Keppels Last Week

Custaro
04-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Was able to get out fishing a couple of times last week.

Took four baits out for a quick troll and had two tail bites and lost the other two. Crap happens. After breakfast on the beach, organised to take a few more baits out in a few days.

Next trip arrived, and while feeding out a bonito it was sucked up by a nice cobe. He was swimming straight at the boat and at first I thought the bait had screwed up and was spinning. Cobe sees the boat and then does what cobes do best. Dropped it on the gaff when he barrel rolled, tangled the leader and smashed me good.

Trolled for 3hrs without a hit until a motivated cod decides to suck down a slow trolled bonito.

jtpython
04-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Nice stuff mate
I see the weather is picture perfect today (should have gone) but have enuff fish in the freezer will see if wife wants to do a island trip tomorrow
But will have to see .......... Nice greasy mate
JT

Benno1
04-10-2008, 01:11 PM
where abouts did you fish Custaro???...bad luck with the cobe...thats the nature of fishing tho isnt it...nice big coddy...did it release ok???...or did it call your esky home???
cheers for the piccies and report :D

Mrs Benno1

dogsbody
04-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Won't be long till you latch onto one of the razor gang Clay.

Who was on gaff duty? They might need to lift their game (insert pun here).

Good Cod at least.

Dave.

Custaro
04-10-2008, 02:56 PM
JT, yeah my Dad is out with 2 daughters and 3 grandkids today. I missed out. Hopefully they find some gar or bonito to keep the kids entertained and my bait supply up.

Mrs Benno, fished the south area of Keppel. Hannas, Sykes etc. if you know the area. Been a favourite area for many many years. Cod come home with me and is now yummy selection of fillets, frame, wings and rib cage. I have a one cod per trip per person.

Dave, will give the macs another crack next weekend. Dad stiched me up with some dodgy Mustad hooks. My rigs are all now set with Gamy SL12's 10/0's. Dad got a serve with his gaff skills. He then took it out on my gaff. I now have a very sharp gaff.

Benno1
04-10-2008, 03:31 PM
yes i know of the area around Sykes...we've done a few over nighters there...we like it there as well...never caught a gumboot like that tho :P...your Dad has his hands full with all those kids...hope they all catch a fish or 2 :D

Mrs Benno1

jtpython
04-10-2008, 03:58 PM
yes i know of the area around Sykes...we've done a few over nighters there...we like it there as well...never caught a gumboot like that tho :P...your Dad has his hands full with all those kids...hope they all catch a fish or 2 :D

Mrs Benno1
The area Clay is talking about is behind Great Keppel Island Mrs Benno a small patch of Reef not to be mixed up with the Sykes's you venture to off Gladstone but i bet everyone wishes it was as close and as big as your gladstone reef LOL
Cheers JT