PDA

View Full Version : What to do ?

Pridey
04-10-2008, 09:53 AM
G'day guys.

This is my situation. I do a lot of fishing in very tidal creeks, rivers etc. Im sick of nearly hitting the bottom and having to manually pull up the little 25 yamaha by hand every 10 minute. (Yes, I do have a sounder...)

I've got a 4.2 m tinnie with a 25 hp yamaha long leg 1997 on it. Very reliable motor (one of my first reliable ones, so Im kind of attached to it.) I know that a short leg is more suitable for what I do so here is the question.

Do I go out and get an electric trim/tilt kit and an outboard alternator kit for the outboard I have now and install it, or do I just upgrade the whole outboard to on that has all the gear ? (transom is rated to 40hp, was thinking of a little more speed anyway) My drama is that Im finding it difficult to get a decend cost comparison as the alternator thingys dont seem to be that available...

Cheers for any knowlegde..

Pridey

Scott Ashe
04-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Hi Mate,

If I were you, if you could afford it , I would upgrade to a new motor with Electric start and power trim and tilt.

I know Yamaha make a 25 4 STROKE with electric start and power trim and tilt for around $5000 in brisbane. I know because I bought one in 2007 and it's fitted to an Allycraft 410 Rhino.

I bought this because I have cerebral Palsy and can't lift it without it, as it weighs in at 72kg.

I also love my mud crabbing and it's perfect for working in the shallows, no more having to lean over and manually tilt your motor.

Just my opinion,
Cheers
Scott.

disorderly
04-10-2008, 10:38 AM
I have the same problem ...not so much hitting the bottom ....but the leg is too long....

I intend to raise the transom by 50 mm or so when I get around to it.

FNQCairns
04-10-2008, 11:06 AM
I have spent some time oninland creeks both with manual and trim n tilt, manual is the way to go, real efficient, the t&t is just too slow to use the boats momentum get over a stump or log easily most of the time without a big and too fast run up esp if heading up current.

cheers fnq

ronnien
04-10-2008, 11:30 AM
maybe have your motor in shallow drive all the time if you are fishing shallow.
than you are not lifting & droping every ten mins, just go a bit slower until you get yourself that new motor.

ron.