PDA

View Full Version : Glausester Island

flyer912
03-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Does anyone know if your able to camp on Glausester Island North of Dingo Beach.
Is there vehicle access or only by boat.

Baz

anthony72
03-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Hi Baz,

The only way there is by boat. You have two options for a ramp one at dingo beach about 60m from the dingo beach pub. this ramp is tide dependent only really any good around 1 1/2 either side of high tide. The other ramp is eco resort that is all conditions but it is not a council ramp so you will have to see eco resort for permission. They are normally ok if you buy a meal there or stay a night etc. Eco resort is only 5min from Gloucester Island.

You have two camping locations the best but can be crowded is Bona Bay just around Bluff point. It is well set up with compost toilet and sheltered tables and good cleared areas.

The other camp site is East Side bay, good for camp sites but no tables etc.
I believe (could be wrong) you have to get permits to camp at either location.

The soft plastic fishing around from bluff point on the flats can be fantastic and you will get great selection on fly as well. Plenty of macks and trevally about also. I used gulps and always had a great day around there. You will get doggies around channel markers using very small metals. If after big saltbarra head around towards gregory river way and opposite is a great beach to fish using mullet, you should pick up metre plus barra around tides there and plenty of crabs.

Top meals at eco also and good bar! I lived in airlie for awhile and spent most weekends up there fishing.

flyer912
03-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Thanks for that Anthony,
It's just a bummer that the Nat Parks won't let you use a gen set, do you have to camp at the designated camp areas or can you find your own spot away from the mob.

anthony72
03-10-2008, 07:15 PM
The east side you have more choice but the other side near bluff point is close to Bowen so you do get a fair bit of traffic. But you will get a fair bit of distance most who use their are yachties- so you should have plenty of room.

flyer912
04-10-2008, 03:07 PM
There must be somwhere a bloke can set up camp where he can run a quiet gen set for the fridge and light a fire, it's getting really depressing with all these can't do rules and regs.

Baz

anthony72
04-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Personnally I would head the opposite way from dingo, and head to little jonah bay, fantastic beach great camping spots look for the old burnt down house, or stop at Jonah bay, you will be protected from wind and in prime location to chase fish around the islands, you will have no dramas setting up camp there!

You will even come across the odd school of bone fish in the shallows- great fun with small plastics but they are only small fish. Try around those beaches and you should be fine

flyer912
04-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks for that, I knew there had to be somewhere left a bloke could actually camp like camping was meant to be.

Baz