PDA

View Full Version : Plastics for Barra (The slick rig)

NAGG
03-10-2008, 08:06 AM
Hi All .... specially those barra enthusiasts

Over the past week or so ...... a few people have asked about fishing plastics for barra ........... & now while there are many more qualified gurus hereabouts ..... I thought I may as well share some upgrade tips.

The old slick rig ..... particularly the 110 & 130mm versions ( in Pro range & std) are a cracker of a way of catching those awesome barra

now unfortunately ......... The manufacturers have chosen to build their awesome plastics on jig heads that are not up to the task ( for barra).35742

So ...... after my third adventure ( seeing more than enough barra lost to jig head failure) this is what I have settled on for a 130mm Slick rig.

In the picture ...... I've included the standard Pro slick rig (lites) & the out of the packet hook ( 12-13 g)

Below are the Nitro (Owner hooks) upgrades

Nitro 7/O (Saltwater Pro) 17.5g

&

Nitro 5/O ( Saltwater Pro) 14g

Also keep in mind that the standard 130 mm Slick rig uses a 23-24g jig head!!!

So .... up grade & fish with confidence

Nagg

PS ..... We tried some TT upgrades & had a couple of those fail too ( Gamakatsu hooks:( )

Pete62
03-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Hiya Nagg, very informative, thanks. With the upgrade does the existing jig head come out of the plastice with ease? and with the replacement does that need to be superglued once inserted?
Just one more............. what retrieve have u found works?
Oh yeh, just one more............what is the max leader u have found suitable still offering a good action?

Soory mate, but my upcoming trip has me thinking of nothing else, now if that bloody phone would just stop ringing.

My left eye is twitching and all the hair on my left arm is standing up..........please explain.............;D

Cheers, Pete.

NAGG
03-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Hiya Nagg, very informative, thanks. With the upgrade does the existing jig head come out of the plastice with ease? and with the replacement does that need to be superglued once inserted?
Just one more............. what retrieve have u found works?
Oh yeh, just one more............what is the max leader u have found suitable still offering a good action?

Soory mate, but my upcoming trip has me thinking of nothing else, now if that bloody phone would just stop ringing.

My left eye is twitching and all the hair on my left arm is standing up..........please explain.............;D

Cheers, Pete.

Hi Pete ........ The old hooks slide out of the slit in the back & the new ones slide in ( easy) ...... No gluing involved as the tow point is out the top of the head

The simple straight slow roll works well ....... cast , count down & a straight wind in ( maybe the occasional stop) ........ As a lot of casting is to shallow weed edges , you need to pick up any slack line immediately & the retrieve started ( the speed needs to get the tail beating .......... too slow & there is no action ........ but by all means vary your speed

Leader 80lb ( Nitline) is sweet ........ 50lb twisted Nitline is better ( I'm now making up 40s)

Finally ...... If & when you get onto fish ....... they will often destroy (rip) your slick rigs ( so take a few packets)

Hope this helps

Chris

PS ..... There are other plastic to use - but the Slicks are a good starting point + THEY WORK!!!

Pete62
03-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Thanks Nagg, good luck on your upcoming trip, sounds big, and congrats on the award, sounds like u earned the bag of lures, bloody dodgy trailers.
Cheers, pete.
PS: got a call from a mate who has just had 2 weeks Mondy and Awoonga, 44 fish biggest was 125, nice...

BR65
04-10-2008, 07:50 AM
Timely mate, thanks for the input.
Are you hanging stingers off the main hook, I know a little while ago you were talking about a trailing single??
Ive moded some big berkleys that way, just done a half hitch around the gape of the main hook, so the stinger lies back near the tail. Yet to swim one, so will be interested to see how the action is affected, whether the snag ratio increases, or will I need to lightly pin the stinger back thru the SP to stop it catching on every little bit of crap in the water, will the stinger affect the drop rate (yes?) cause of the weight, so much to look at, cant wait to swim them.
All been done by others before I know, but a bit of trial and error for this HB addict lol.

NAGG
04-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Timely mate, thanks for the input.
Are you hanging stingers off the main hook, I know a little while ago you were talking about a trailing single??
Ive moded some big berkleys that way, just done a half hitch around the gape of the main hook, so the stinger lies back near the tail. Yet to swim one, so will be interested to see how the action is affected, whether the snag ratio increases, or will I need to lightly pin the stinger back thru the SP to stop it catching on every little bit of crap in the water, will the stinger affect the drop rate (yes?) cause of the weight, so much to look at, cant wait to swim them.
All been done by others before I know, but a bit of trial and error for this HB addict lol.

Hi Bryan

Yes ...... I do fish with stingers ( not so much on slick rigs) but certainly on the big Storm Shads

Chris

DEANO68
04-10-2008, 08:19 AM
ey chris,, do you use the "S" factor goop on your slicks..????????

NAGG
04-10-2008, 08:31 AM
ey chris,, do you use the "S" factor goop on your slicks..????????

Sometimes Deano ........ but the catfish love peanut butter:(

Chris

NAGG
04-10-2008, 10:26 AM
I've included a couple of versions of stingers that I used at Mondy & Awoonga last month ......... I dont use stingers all the time on slick rigs , but when the fish are a little more tentative ...... then they may turn a positive result

The top one is a Owner 6/O O' Shaughnessy ......... Which I used on a couple of trips with reasonably good results ........ There are problems constructing it though ...:( You break a high percentage of these high carbon hooks opening the eye! .......... Make sure you use the right tools & wear safety glasses!

This set up does not really affect the action , but you can waste 20% of your casts when the tail flips over the stinger:'(

The second one uses a 5/O shorter shank Maruto Stainless O'Shaughhnessy.
Being stainless steel ...... It is easier opening the eye:)
A big advantage of this set up is that the fouling of the tail in the stinger is reduced significantly.
I also incorporate a slight offset in the stinger by twisting the shank ....... this is a new idea but I'm sure it will improve penetration:)

Both rigs use a small piece of shape tube to hold the hook in position after crimping the eye!

So there you have it ...... simple stingers

Cheers

Chris

DEANO68
04-10-2008, 06:09 PM
I've included a couple of versions of stingers that I used at Mondy & Awoonga last month ......... I dont use stingers all the time on slick rigs , but when the fish are a little more tentative ...... then they may turn a positive result

The top one is a Owner 6/O O' Shaughnessy ......... Which I used on a couple of trips with reasonably good results ........ There are problems constructing it though ...:( You break a high percentage of these high carbon hooks opening the eye! .......... Make sure you use the right tools & wear safety glasses!

This set up does not really affect the action , but you can waste 20% of your casts when the tail flips over the stinger:'(

The second one uses a 5/O shorter shank Maruto Stainless O'Shaughhnessy.
Being stainless steel ...... It is easier opening the eye:)
A big advantage of this set up is that the fouling of the tail in the stinger is reduced significantly.
I also incorporate a slight offset in the stinger by twisting the shank ....... this is a new idea but I'm sure it will improve penetration:)

Both rigs use a small piece of shape tube to hold the hook in position after crimping the eye!

So there you have it ...... simple stingers

Cheers

Chris

thanks chris, last year at awoonga josh rigged some up ( bleedin mullet )with wire of the main hook to a treb out it ass, looked wrong , swam horrid and he got 4 fish in one sesh, on them 3 of them on the stinger ,,,mines got no stinger swimmin sweet , not a touch...>:(

NAGG
04-10-2008, 06:18 PM
thanks chris, last year at awoonga josh rigged some up ( bleedin mullet )with wire of the main hook to a treb out it ass, looked wrong , swam horrid and he got 4 fish in one sesh, on them 3 of them on the stinger ,,,mines got no stinger swimmin sweet , not a touch...>:(

I've done some with a treble below ........... but the size of the treble is important & it cant be too far back as it kills the action .......... but on a big plastic like a Storm shad - no worries

Chris

BR65
04-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Hey Chris, with the distortion of the original slick/pro hooks, how much hurt are you applying dureing the fight?

NAGG
04-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Hey Chris, with the distortion of the original slick/pro hooks, how much hurt are you applying dureing the fight?

Surprisingly little ........ The hook pictured was actually one of Whiteys ....... A good fish but he was only using a standard 5000 size ABU which would have only generated 3-4 kgs of Drag!
We had 90cm jumping fish partially opening them up too .

At the end of the trip .... When Whitey was sorting out his gear ...... he told me most of the used slick rigs were distorted ............ & he is going to upgrade from now on:)

Chris

Roo
07-10-2008, 08:46 AM
We used an 8/0 Owner for our stingers, the hook is called an "AKI". Didn't need to open the hook eye, we just "lightly" crush the main hook barb, slipped a soft glow bead on, then a bit of tube, the hook would just sneak on at the right angle and then push it over the tube to hold in place, another glow bead then used the beak of my spit ring pliers to gently push the main hook barb back out again. job done.

We had no drama's with original slickrig hooks, they held up fine but only on fish up to 96cm. Kim bent a TT Headhunter jighead on one fish and I had the Barb roll over on a Pro Range Slick Rig hook after a few missed fish.
I tried using wire to attach trebles on top.....but getting it to swim straight and not foul the tail was a pain. Tried an assist jighook but it was flailing around at the tail pointing the wrong way when Kim Bent the TT hook so it didn't find its mark either.
We only ran medium drags, we both got 96cm fish on Kims combo using an Abu Revo Premier.....these reels don't have the big drag of the STX Revo.....the Premier has a single carbon washer sandwiched between a stainless washer and the main gear, so its not a stumpuller...but work surprisingly well and was a dream to cast with being so light (170gms).
Cheers Roo.

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
07-10-2008, 11:22 AM
I notice a lot of talk about stingers on plastics.
At times they may assist the angler, other times they may be more of a pain than their desired value. To this day, I still do not think a stinger is required on a moderate sized soft barra lure considering the barra inhales the whole lure when committed and the single hook point is well and truly exposed. The rest is up to the angler. Has anybody ever considered or monitored rod angle, rod tip positioning, drag settings and reaction time as far as striking and line winding is concerned. What about foot stance on deck? The other parts of the equation are equally important.
Johnny

Roo
07-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Has anybody ever considered or monitored rod angle, rod tip positioning, drag settings and reaction time as far as striking and line winding is concerned. What about foot stance on deck? The other parts of the equation are equally important.
Johnny

Yes.....but getting those that know to actually divulge these thoughts has proved frustrating. Little snips here and there but nobody seems keen to spell it out for us hence the need to go through the motions of trying out every little thought for ourselves and slowly working it out and given that some of us get onto these dams once or twice a year, it can be a slow process. It would seem there are profits to be made in the dissemination of data.

I have had some quite useful feedback on some other forums about the very things you've mentioned, Feel free to elaborate these subjects further.

Cheers Roo.

blaze
07-10-2008, 12:29 PM
Yes.....but getting those that know to actually divulge these thoughts has proved frustrating. Little snips here and there but nobody seems keen to spell it out for us hence the need to go through the motions of trying out every little thought for ourselves and slowly working it out and given that some of us get onto these dams once or twice a year, it can be a slow process. It would seem there are profits to be made in the dissemination of data.

I have had some quite useful feedback on some other forums about the very things you've mentioned, Feel free to elaborate these subjects further.

Cheers Roo.
Hi
Maybe the people in the know (guides like Johnny Mitchell) might not give away all there trade secret on a forum (You cant blame them for that) but if you hire that same guide for a day, go with an open mind and you will learn why they can catch more fish. It seems to me that its money well spent and a quick way to learn the tricks of fishing a specific place.
cheers
blaze

Roo
07-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Hi
Maybe the people in the know (guides like Johnny Mitchell) might not give away all there trade secret on a forum (You cant blame them for that) but if you hire that same guide for a day, go with an open mind and you will learn why they can catch more fish. It seems to me that its money well spent and a quick way to learn the tricks of fishing a specific place.
cheers
blaze

With all due respect, Bollocks!!
This is an online community where like minded people share ideas, experiences and reports with their fellow fishing friends.
Nagg started this thread to show anyone who was interested, some tips and techniques behind how he successfully targeted barra on his recent trip. This very same information was passed onto us by him while we were still up there, and it directly lead to much improved success for myself and Themissus. Others too we're freely given tips on where and (importantly)why this method was successful in the current conditions.
I didn't ask JM for any trade secrets, he asked us(the forum) if we had considered a few other key factors. If he isn't willing to share the answer to his own question....one wonders, why ask it!

Cheers Roo.

blaze
07-10-2008, 04:39 PM
life is full of learning, some is freely given, some you pay for in one way or another. I figure the better the teacher the more I am prepared to pay and the quicker I will learn. Each to their own though.
Cheers
blaze

Roo
07-10-2008, 04:59 PM
life is full of learning, some is freely given, some you pay for in one way or another. I figure the better the teacher the more I am prepared to pay and the quicker I will learn. Each to their own though.
Cheers
blaze

yeah, there is always more than 1 way to skin a cat....but then sometimes those that give of themselves freely get it back tenfold.

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
07-10-2008, 06:57 PM
One day many will realise that my time on here is soley for the advancement and concern of learning anglers. I don't please everyone, no one does that. I add dimension to expand readers knowledge and to keep them thinking in a forward direction.
I don't need to expand on my description, the fine detail lies in there for anyone willing to analyze themselves as an angler. The more I give, the less anglers think for themselves. I give direction, the gaps often need to be filled by the individual.
Johnny

Colo77
07-10-2008, 07:10 PM
I read an article a while back on upgrading plastix. I'll try & dig it up & get back to ya.

Colo

Roo
08-10-2008, 12:00 PM
One day many will realise that my time on here is soley for the advancement and concern of learning anglers. I don't please everyone, no one does that. I add dimension to expand readers knowledge and to keep them thinking in a forward direction.
I don't need to expand on my description, the fine detail lies in there for anyone willing to analyze themselves as an angler. The more I give, the less anglers think for themselves. I give direction, the gaps often need to be filled by the individual.
Johnny

really? :-/ what you might be missing is that the bulk of us Do Not spend 300+ days a year fishing. most of us might manage that in a lifetime! I don't have the time left in me to analyse which way my toes point while winding. I'm more concerned about keeping them horizontal, when they point at the sky its too late to have the penny dropping. Life is short, I'm getting on with it. You can either be helpful or not. your choice.

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
08-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eotbmg
08-10-2008, 02:19 PM
really? :-/ what you might be missing is that the bulk of us Do Not spend 300+ days a year fishing. most of us might manage that in a lifetime! I don't have the time left in me to analyse which way my toes point while winding. I'm more concerned about keeping them horizontal, when they point at the sky its too late to have the penny dropping. Life is short, I'm getting on with it. You can either be helpful or not. your choice.

Roo,
i am not adding into this debate, but the last comment was well written and i got a good chuckle out of your writing, toes pointing at the sky and all.
Thanks
Ben

Roo
08-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad I could help.

chewy01
08-10-2008, 03:55 PM
have a safe trip roo, i dont want to see you on the news getting thrown in the brig :) :) :)

NAGG
08-10-2008, 07:15 PM
With all due respect, Bollocks!!
This is an online community where like minded people share ideas, experiences and reports with their fellow fishing friends.
Nagg started this thread to show anyone who was interested, some tips and techniques behind how he successfully targeted barra on his recent trip. This very same information was passed onto us by him while we were still up there, and it directly lead to much improved success for myself and Themissus. Others too we're freely given tips on where and (importantly)why this method was successful in the current conditions.
I didn't ask JM for any trade secrets, he asked us(the forum) if we had considered a few other key factors. If he isn't willing to share the answer to his own question....one wonders, why ask it!

Cheers Roo.

Thanks Roo for your comments.
Yeh look - this thread was put up just to help those who wished to fish plastics for barra ....... & hopefully shortcut a major downside of one of the most popular plastics.
As far as stingers go ....... I dont think they are the be all & end all ....... but they can improve results.......... At a cost in one way or another!

anyhow ...... Its out there to take it or leave it , but at least its being shared!

Chris

DEANO68
08-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks Roo for your comments.
Yeh look - this thread was put up just to help those who wished to fish plastics for barra ....... & hopefully shortcut a major downside of one of the most popular plastics.
As far as stingers go ....... I dont think they are the be all & end all ....... but they can improve results.......... At a cost in one way or another!

anyhow ...... Its out there to take it or leave it , but at least its being shared!

Chris

thanks chris, your info on this thread has helped me...,yes for the november trip to come and yes on the smaller plastics i use around the creeks, i,e...tt jig heads bend... learned that lesson already..got me some 1/6 nitros today for jacks, look heaps stronger..thanks..and will be getting the larger models for the 110,s..
all great info that can be used not only on barra but many other species also...
good stuff...i owe you a xxxx...;) ..deano..

NAGG
08-10-2008, 08:14 PM
thanks chris, your info on this thread has helped me...,yes for the november trip to come and yes on the smaller plastics i use around the creeks, i,e...tt jig heads bend... learned that lesson already..got me some 1/6 nitros today for jacks, look heaps stronger..thanks..and will be getting the larger models for the 110,s..
all great info that can be used not only on barra but many other species also...
good stuff...i owe you a xxxx...;) ..deano..

I thought I helped you Deano:-/

DEANO68
08-10-2008, 08:19 PM
I thought I helped you Deano:-/

haa ha , yea rito i,lll bring up a box of new stubs next month,,does matt drink new.??any way great info ..cheers.....

NAGG
08-10-2008, 08:30 PM
haa ha , yea rito i,lll bring up a box of new stubs next month,,does matt drink new.??any way great info ..cheers.....

Matts got taste ...... Extra Dry:)

Plasticin
08-10-2008, 08:44 PM

What do you want him to do Roo put the fish in the boat for you??? Sorry mate, met you before at the ramp and you seemed like a good bloke, but the less you think off the water the less you are going to think on. Forums are great but when you want everything spoon fed you can't adapt. But just my thoughts, hope you don't take it the wrong way, I sure it will be coz these forums always seem to give the wrong idea.

Cheers Scott

And before anyone starts anything no I'm not taking sides, its just what I think.

BR65
08-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Chris, Chris, Chris
Why is your name allways associated with these threads that venture into the untamed realms of +3 pages lol
From my point, thanks for your thoughts, it all adds to the knowledge base
cheers
brian

NAGG
08-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Chris, Chris, Chris
Why is your name allways associated with these threads that venture into the untamed realms of +3 pages lol
From my point, thanks for your thoughts, it all adds to the knowledge base
cheers
brian

Entertainment Brian ........ & maybe share & learn

You throw something out there - be it right or wrong ....... & you see what bites;)

We have a wealth of knowledge ..... & experiences hereabouts something there for everyone ..... GOTTA LUV THAT

Chris

BR65
08-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Entertainment Brian ........ & maybe share & learn

You throw something out there - be it right or wrong ....... & you see what bites;)

We have a wealth of knowledge ..... & experiences hereabouts something there for everyone ..... GOTTA LUV THAT

Chris

Maybe I should write "Nagg" on the side of my lures in black texta, seems to be plenty of hits, swipes and bites associated with that particular moniker;) , Potentially this could be a new secret squirral technique that no one has thought of, you have my OK to use it in ABT if you want;D

NAGG
08-10-2008, 09:18 PM
What do you want him to do Roo put the fish in the boat for you??? Sorry mate, met you before at the ramp and you seemed like a good bloke, but the less you think off the water the less you are going to think on. Forums are great but when you want everything spoon fed you can't adapt. But just my thoughts, hope you don't take it the wrong way, I sure it will be coz these forums always seem to give the wrong idea.

Cheers Scott

And before anyone starts anything no I'm not taking sides, its just what I think.

& ...... having said that ( & not blowing up anyone's skirt)

the little time I've spent with Roo & mulled a few thing over ....... I can certainly say that he is a thoughtful fishoe ......
However like many of us .... you need peoples experiences along with your own to store in the old memory bank , so you can draw on it when the need arises ........... otherwise we struggle & dont develop:(

Chris

NAGG
08-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Maybe I should write "Nagg" on the side of my lures in black texta, seems to be plenty of hits, swipes and bites associated with that particular moniker;) , Potentially this could be a new secret squirral technique that no one has thought of, you have my OK to use it in ABT if you want;D

If it works Brian :P I'm pretty thick skinned (head) ...... & not afraid to put it out there! ....... But like life , if you pop your head up , someone always wants to take it off !
fortunately ...... its usually the minority that feel the need to do so ( & aren't those types quickly discovered)

Chris

BR65
08-10-2008, 09:44 PM
If it works Brian :P I'm pretty thick skinned (head) ...... & not afraid to put it out there! ....... But like life , if you pop your head up , someone always wants to take it off !
fortunately ...... its usually the minority that feel the need to do so ( & aren't those types quickly discovered)

Chris

Tis a funny old game this barra fishing mate:-X
Certainly invokes passion, opinions and intriguing comment, some based on fact, some based on experience, some based on financial inducements.
Spose its up to us to decipher whats what.
In the end, its only a bloody fish, maybe some lose sight of the reason they first tied on a lure and chucked it into the water??
Keep em comeing

SeekingBarradise
08-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Hi guys and girls i hope all is well.

For starters everyone on this thread i'm not here to argue - i know most of you and you are all nice. I've been working on an article like this for a while now. I was a bit worried to print this one becasue i thought the fishing industry wasn't ready for it and i'd get laughed at. This is the perfect place to put some of those thoughts. :) as i'm friends with most of you so it will be like a campfire chat.

Roo mate i asked the same questions as you mate. Since then i've started thinking of things like i've listed below. I was probably more ticked off than you for not getting answers mate so this thread is off my experieces not yours ok.
This is my food for thought.

High Level Sport

From a sporting analysis point of view i've been looking at the fishing scene and one section of it is the fishing stance. This was after JM's thoughts and suggestions triggered me to think a lot more about my fishing than i used to. I still have ages to go, but that should be a fun path to travel down with fellow Ausfisho's. Fishing is a sport. Not many look at it like we do other sports. Have a think about the training required to be an Olympic athlete. Why? Because in fishing you are going in to battle against mother nature. One hell of a hard opposition to try and master as every day is different. It's the hardest opposition of all time. So we have to look at fishing as one of the hardest sports of all to master. I reckon even people i have disagreed with on here in the past will agree with me on this one.

A mate said the other day " i reckon fishing is the hardest of all mental sports to master". I thought about how frustrated i've been and agreed immediately, when im not catching fish and i'm tired the positive side of the brain is very hard to master at times. With the sport being so hard there is only one solution. We have to train smarter and harder - hence the Olympics theme. Billions of dollars of research spent on mastering the body/mind and sporting events. It has some of the best platforms to be used on fishing, which is a sport. There is no choice but to look at it like this if we want to achieve high levels of success.

Olympics

Start at 4 and train 6 days a week for atleast 20=30 years. For some events this is the minimum standard. Raising the bar even higher is the level of coaching an event/athlete requires. Physio, Massage, Strength, Conditioning (Running Agility, Balance=stability), Flexibility, Event coach e.g. 100m sprint, Pilates, Psychologist, Dietitian to name a few. The more the athlete wants to make it the more they strive and will sacrifice anything to get the best coaches for their network.
If you are not the best the sad fact of life is that we will get cut from the team and will have to compete in a lower grade. It's a tough path and the disappointments are endless. Some never make it and are told to retire, never achieving their dreams. This is usually a moment where teers flow freely.
Many are shattered and some require detraining over years to wean them off etc.

A coach is there at 90% of the sessions to keep the athlete on track and kick them up the ass if they are dragging their performance. Every session is the best possible session - as planned. It's not just rocking up and going fishing. Every session is planned. 4 Year cycles are plotted, yearly cycles are filled in with huge detail, monthly cycles have every cast/set/rep/lure/plastic/water/wind/time/weather/etc mapped out in advance with some leeway given for changes on the day. Weekly plans are a must with the great athletes shining with motivation in every session to beat their team mates and rise above their competitors stats. Even in training.

Example: National Competition. Australian Footy Team

A footy team wanting to win a grand final in one of our major national codes will have even more coaches and support staff than the above list. They pay coaches more than players = coaches are rated number 1. The biggest name player will at times earn more, but a club signs a coach, then players around them. However my experience in the fishing industry this doesn't correlate with any other sport i've seen. There isn't much respect for coaches and hardly anyone would fork out a months junk food, beer & smokes, one new rod and reel a year as a trade off to learning from some of the best impoundment barra fishing coaches we have going around.

Respect
At the moment i reckon we don't respect good Fishing coaches enough. We place their value much lower than what it's really worth. Yearly breakdown: e.g. less than a bottle of wine a week, eating out once a fortnight, smokes, couple of beers a week, a rod and reel combo a year, lures per year. I've thought about how much i respect a fishing coach to where i spend my money and i cringe when i've wasted money. I do have a point. The sporting question is " How much do we really want it?":D

Have a think about it. I'm dead right. As a sporting plan is a plan for us all to get better. Where will our current fishing sports plan take us in the next 5,10,15,20 years? If we don't value fishing knowledge higher than wine, eating out all the time, new expensive rods, reels, lures, expensive home entertainment that has us sitting on the sofa. How are we going to achieve Accelerated Learning, which is what everyone is after.

I reckon guides have the hardest job in the world. If they put all their trademark secrets on here for us for free that would be crazy i reckon and terribly unfair - and really bad business. It would be like KFC telling us all their secret herbs and spices or Kelly Slater telling everyone all his competiton/training strategies. Although he is so good that he would probably still win;D

I'm a Travelling Fisho 2

I reckon one of the biggest advantages we have as travelling anglers who really want to learn more about barra fishing is the time we can really think about fishing, instead of just going fishing. There are some disadvantages to being a local as well. Attitudes like " oh well i didn't catch fish today, i'll just go back out tomorrow and hope they are biting", could easily put someone who doesn't want to think well behind the 8 ball of barra knowledge and well behind a travelling angler in a few departments.

I used to ask for a lot of answers as well, and made the mistake of getting angry when i didn't get them. When i thought of it like accountants on a forum and one of the best giving away $100 000 bucks worth of tips for free that cost half a lifetime of fuel, boats, fishing gear, diving, spear fishing, hunting, observing nature and catching thousands of barra i then thought hell, i am happy to have these guys on the forum. :)

Then i made the decision as a travelling angler to do a bit more thinking for myself. I reckon i was even wrong in expecting free info at times in the past.
I've made stacks of mistakes. Hopefully i'll limit them in the future.

The best Olympic coaches never give away what cost half a lifetime to get, because that's how they get hired as coaches. To expect Leigh Mathews to give away everything or Lance Armstrong everything he knows to his opposition or future competition would not be the smartest business or sporting plan in the world.

My plan

Is to go fishing with most of you on here and learn from each other. It will be Quicker learning than staying at home etc. More people you know, the more trips you can do - the more training we cando.. Combine this with more thinking, chatting and tinkering is about the best i can do right now. This means i'll get beaten a lot, but that's becasue others will be training harder. Yep it would make it easier as a local, but i'm not so i have to make do travelling. We could all save more money, stop buying crap we don't need and go out with a coach to get a plan for the rest of the year. This might take decades to get up to anywhere near really good fishing status, but i'll have fun along the way.:D

When i say coaches we are lucky and have a few. Rod Harrison, Jason Wilhelm, Johnny Mitchell, Paul Dolan to name a few at Awoonga and Monduran.

Sorry for the long article. I had it on the computer stored away. Just had to modify it a bit. It's all directed at my own stuffups over the years so please don't anyone take offence. If you have met me you will know i can laugh at myself.

Cheers Lyndon.:)

chewy01
08-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Totally agree Brian,i steeped back the other day and asked myself why i fish,and this isnt it.fishing to me is the best stress reliever there is,up at f jumping a couple off.away from it all. they are as you said only barra.Do i enjoy catching em,bloody oath.Do i enjoy doing my head in thinking of how i can turn 5 fish in a weekend into ten... not so much.I think,really when its all said and done,its a personal choice thing.. doing what you enjoy.you can theorize o your head in,have all the best gear(which i must say is enjoyable to use anyway)and some bloke will wander down to the pumping station and pull in a 116 on a j/w combo and a smiling jacks lure with original trebles..Some times with fishing you just have a run of outs. the trouble is when you start second guessing yourself.trying 20 different things in an hour instead of working your plan thoroughly.Dont be afraid to try things but do give them a good go if you do.Remember guys to have a good time out there.i think ill be off for a while.iv got the jack fishing bug again..
cheers chewy....
ps good luck to all in the abt, drive safe guys and get a few.... but leave some at teemburra for me :)

SeekingBarradise
08-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Yes Brian and Chewy as we have chatted on before at times it's easy to forget what we started fishing for. Fun. I reckon the confusion comes in when we want to really improve and get frustrated. Then also want to have fun, which means different things for everyone.

Some fish a few hours like nath and whitto then chill out in camp over a yarn and a beer - how relaxed are those 2? I could learn how to relax from those guys, they are chilled out which is great.

Others need 14 hour days as they are on a mission and have to catch a fish. Once we have all sorted out what we want (goals) i reckon it's all fun from there. I reckon where the problems start is when we want something but have to do something different to what we are doing now to get it.

Stance while fishing

While we don't have to fish to live e.g. we have to catch fish or we go hungry and could die. I'm guessing that foot placement will never be really be important as we are in easy times where if missed bites are not converted to fish on board it doesn't matter. She'll be right there will be another fish around the corner.

Or if you are comp orientated or a guide or a social fisho who physically and mentally wants to do their best. For a comp angler the prize packet on the weekends event is $200 000 you can't afford one missed strike not being converted to caught fish. Big $200 000 contracts are another reward for the winner.

If you are a guide thinking along these lines the pressure is on to stay sharp and keep learning as the fishing gets tougher and you have to still put clients on to fish. If you don't you lose your clients and eventually you job. Not much pressure - crikey.

This line goes along the Olympic event path of throwing the kitchen sink at them to win. For a social angler a win might be a fish a day, which is still hard work on impoundments. Fishing like many sports require control, efficient movement and quick reactions in a fraction of a second. Balance and position will be a key factor.

One missed fish can let the social anglers goal of a fish a day/trip down. A comp angler's goal of the $200 000 grand US prize is missed. A guides living takes a blow with a fishless day as the angler was not concentrating and was off balance with their feet when the only strike of the day arrived.

Feet placement comes in to the sporting equation as they are the only 2 things on the floor keeping us from taking a swim. They are the start of your whole technique from casting to retrieving and striking. A less than efficient setup at the start of the chain causes problems down the end of the line.

Sport: Just like throwing a javaline, discuss, shotput, cricket ball, boxing, Muay Thai etc everything starts with the position of the feet. All control and power comes from there. This hasn't been talked about much because it hasn't been on the radar. And it probably goes with the fishing coaching scene not being respected as much as say a coach of a footy team etc.

Casting: You have a power position like throwing a jav. Stand on your toes on the edge of the boat and cast and you will fall in as this is a very weak casting position, so foot position does matter, it's just that we didn't notice it before.

Stand back feet back and apart spreads your centre of balance. In sport these casts/throws are replayed on video in most sessions to correct mistakes immediately. In fishing is this ever done out here? Next time you see a missed srike on tv if it's shown have a look at feet position. I've seen Harro and JM correcting and helping with their setups. There would be others for sure, definately. Ahead of their time for our market i reckon.

Summary: After thousands of fish i guess they would be seeing a pattern. It's an easy technique pattern to look at if you are in sport. Essential on windy days with big waves. Hard to explain on the net as it could take a thousand pages. Coaching is again required or we could use this valuable free advice to think about and then practise this for ourselves.

When you think about it the sport of fishing like any sport has it's good and bad positions. AFL kicks are replayed and clangers (bad kicks) are embarrasing for players. You see them out practising hard with their kicking the next week if it's replayed on national TV. It would be the same if our bad techniques on a bad day were all replayed for everyone to laugh at. I reckon my worst casts people would still be laughing at. I didn't even know i had poor technique or positions until i was alerted to it by someone better than me. I was embarrased that's for sure. I had foot position ok coming from sport, but rods and the rest were another story before i could even start thinking about lures.

Striking
Like casting, striking needs a power position. I reckon we should all have a look at our feet position then the rest of our body while fishing to see if we are ready for a strike. I've missed heaps from crappy technique. Terrible misses that hurt on travelling trips. I try and limit those stuffups now that i have my radar on a little better thanks to helpful info.

Nagg mate you are a good bloke and have a creative learning thread going here.
I hope my sporting cross fishing thread worked in with your helping thread.
This section will be used for articles in the future.

Cheers Lyndon.

Barraboy7
09-10-2008, 01:25 AM
Some good points here guys!
Re Experts, Guides and info... The flak some people throw at them on this site is alarming, spitting the dummy because you dont get what you want. In fact I have it from a good source it has driven one great contributor away from here.

I have learned heaps from paying a guide in many different fishing environments. In UK where I lived for 5 years, I hired a guide to ramp me up on flyfishing for trout. I then sought out some of the best flymakers in UK and bought some of their flies, (expensive) so I could learn to make them EXACTLY THE SAME. These guys encouraged that. Outcome..I just nailed heaps of trout!

If we want the fine detail, and thats what Roos wants, go hard after it and dont be afraid to pay for it! Funny, many will pay huge bucks for equipment to catch fish, but be horrified at paying to learn HOW TO USE IT. Beyond me...I want to catch fish!!
In every sphere of life, bettering your skills will cost in some way. Fastrack yourself and pay for it! Maybe thats not everyones cup of tea, but it works for me.
Earlier this year I hired a guide to get smart on SPs in the Estuary scene and one afternoon changed my whole approach and have been nailing heaps of fish on SPs ever since. The cost of an afternoon or day with a guide is microscopic, when compared with the overall outlay in boat, gear,fuel travel, accomodation we gladly cough up to get the chance to chase our favourite species. And its a great experience.
I have hired a guide on Awoonga twice, particularly as a person who doesnt get to go there very often, so we have been able to maximise our chances of nailing good fish on each trip.
From what we have learned here, Nagg had the chance to get on board at Awoonga with one of the best fishos around, and I am sure without that, as a maybe once or twice per year vistor, would have a lesser result.
To have fine detail spoon fed to us from real experts, guides included, on this forum is an unrealistic expectation, and I think anything offered for our help by them is a bonus, and we should be thankful, even if it is just enough to get us thinking outside the box.
Im not suggesting they are the only source of info, but hey as Roo mentioned, guides spend so much more time on the water, so they certainly should have a great and broader knowledge.
Nagg we all cant wait for your next seemingly benign thread!! LOL
Cheers
Barraboy7

SeekingBarradise
09-10-2008, 08:24 AM
Practical stuff we can all do. This is what i'd do if i was in a park or around a fire chatting with you guys.

1. Go out in to the back yard or on our next fishing trip and place our feet together standing on tippy toes. Then see how far we can cast. Say 25m. I'm using round figures for ease ok.

2. Then stand in a position that feels stronger and more balanced. See how far you can cast. Say around 30m.

3. Now get someone else to look at your foot & rod placement and cast. Maybe get it improved a little. What if you were now casting 35m with less effort to protect your back, shoulders over the decades. Many will have shoulder problems, spurs, crunching, arthritis, back problems etc from a lifetime if you do a lot of casts, some even surgery.

Is this important information? Well if you throw lures 4 days a week like some do or guide people to cast lures 6 days a week it's really important. For results and injury prevention. I'll go over those figures later.

Social Angler. Say you do one trip a month for ease of figures. 2 days casting = 1000 casts. 1000 x 25m = 25000m of time your lure was in the water.
1000 x 35m = 35000m your lure was in the water.

That's 10000 m of extra time per month (120000m+/year) that your lure was in the water to catch fish from the same amount of casts. That's only as a travelling angler wow. Massive differences appear. When you take in to consideration the further away from your boat you cast might be getting closer to spooky fish e.g. better fishing zones. That last 10m is the goldmine area, especially when compared to the first 10m zone from your boat to where you were casting.

Fish side by side with friend who casts 10m further for 10 years. The toll on his body will be a lot less if he has an efficient technique and the fishing zones he can get to will be thousands of acres more in size. This stuff has to mount up over time. Position of the whole body now takes on more importance if we want to improve.

Watch Brett Lee when he bowls those 150km bullets this summer and see where his feet are, then body and arms. When someone throws the wickets down have a look at where their feet are. The funny thing is that often the best throws and fastest deliveries feel like the easiest ones, becasue the technique was really good (efficient). I hear the same thing across a lot of sports, so muscling out casts is not the answer, that will soon give us a good dose of lure arm and back, one which i've had many a time ha.:)

I hope this stuff is of some interest.
Cheers Lyndon.

NAGG
09-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Lyndon , JM , Roo , Brian , BB7 & others ........ Thanks for the input hereabouts . Not only is it appreciated , it adds to structure of a good thread / topic :)

Raising the issues that fall under the umbrella of technique ....... often go hand in hand with tackle :) & actually the point of stance & striking technique are more important with a single hook plastics than with any hardbody multi hook lure .......

Think about the location of that hook during a retrieve & where you are likely to drive a hook home ....... clearly a vertical strike will hit the hard part at the top of the mouth . However a more horizontal strike , just may pull the lure to the side of the mouth & find that important hinge hook up:) ........ Well thats how I see it ! - Now to consciencely put it into practice::) ;D

Chris

Awoonga
09-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Lyndon , JM , Roo , Brian , BB7 & others ........ Thanks for the input hereabouts . Not only is it appreciated , it adds to structure of a good thread / topic :)

Raising the issues that fall under the umbrella of technique ....... often go hand in hand with tackle :) & actually the point of stance & striking technique are more important with a single hook plastics than with any hardbody multi hook lure .......

Think about the location of that hook during a retrieve & where you are likely to drive a hook home ....... clearly a vertical strike will hit the hard part at the top of the mouth . However a more horizontal strike , just may pull the lure to the side of the mouth & find that important hinge hook up:) ........ Well thats how I see it ! - Now to consciencely put it into practice::) ;D

Chris Chris......my take is...When you feel that strike the Barra is expelling the lure it happens so fast.. if you can master this technique you are a better fisherman than me.... But you are most welcome to try it on the tour...;D

Roo
09-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Just a quick Recap....

We used an 8/0 Owner for our stingers, the hook is called an "AKI". Didn't need to open the hook eye, we just "lightly" crush the main hook barb, slipped a soft glow bead on, then a bit of tube, the hook would just sneak on at the right angle and then push it over the tube to hold in place, another glow bead then used the beak of my spit ring pliers to gently push the main hook barb back out again. job done.

We had no drama's with original slickrig hooks, they held up fine but only on fish up to 96cm. Kim bent a TT Headhunter jighead on one fish and I had the Barb roll over on a Pro Range Slick Rig hook after a few missed fish.
I tried using wire to attach trebles on top.....but getting it to swim straight and not foul the tail was a pain. Tried an assist jighook but it was flailing around at the tail pointing the wrong way when Kim Bent the TT hook so it didn't find its mark either.
We only ran medium drags, we both got 96cm fish on Kims combo using an Abu Revo Premier.....these reels don't have the big drag of the STX Revo.....the Premier has a single carbon washer sandwiched between a stainless washer and the main gear, so its not a stumpuller...but work surprisingly well and was a dream to cast with being so light (170gms).
Cheers Roo.
This where, in the spirit of the advancement of all anglers available knowledge, I offered my personal experiences with relevance to the subject of the thread.

I notice a lot of talk about stingers on plastics.
At times they may assist the angler, other times they may be more of a pain than their desired value. To this day, I still do not think a stinger is required on a moderate sized soft barra lure considering the barra inhales the whole lure when committed and the single hook point is well and truly exposed. The rest is up to the angler. Has anybody ever considered or monitored rod angle, rod tip positioning, drag settings and reaction time as far as striking and line winding is concerned. What about foot stance on deck? The other parts of the equation are equally important.
Johnny
Johnny has added some food for thought on the subject matter and then added some other points to consider in the form of a question.

Cheers Roo.
I replied to the question posed, and invited him to expand further.

".....What do you want him to do Roo put the fish in the boat for you???....."

NO, that was not what I asked for.

"....If we want the fine detail, and thats what Roos wants...."
See above....I Invited someone who has the knowledge on the subject, who posed the question in the first place, to elaborate further. Just how far is purely up to him. I regularly share my thoughts here without fear or favour. I just hoped for some of the same. no need for novels on it, just some thoughts....Just how far can someone go with the "Mind Fishing"....How do you know you are on the right track from 600 km away and 2 trips a year!! a little bit of join the dots is fine but sometimes you need a clue as to what to be looking for.

I enjoy the detail because that is the sort of person I am. Punting Ideas back and forth between mates is my idea of a good time when "downloading" from a fishing session(cool ales are handy too). Suduko drives me Balmy.

Cheers Rod.

NAGG
09-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Chris......my take is...When you feel that strike the Barra is expelling the lure it happens so fast.. if you can master this technique you are a better fisherman than me.... But you are most welcome to try it on the tour...;D

In my dreams Trev ::) ......

Roo
09-10-2008, 11:34 AM

Chris

Chris......my take is...When you feel that strike the Barra is expelling the lure it happens so fast.. if you can master this technique you are a better fisherman than me.... But you are most welcome to try it on the tour...;D

I'll would think differently Chris, I'd be inclined to think the vertical strike has a better chance of a hook up.....whether it be hard tissue or soft, with the hook being driven home being the deciding factor to success rates. I can see where your going with trying to get that perfect hinge hookup but i'd be concerned that you'd end up pulling the lure straight out the way it came in.....I guess you've got a 50% chance of that at least. If what Trev adds is factored in and the lure is already exiting stage front....then an upwards strike is possibly more likely to alter the tradgectory towards hooking something solid rather than expediting its path out. I think behaviour study of what the fish do when they are in the throes of inhale and exhale would answer a lot of questions.
Break it down to this:
Eyes on top: looking up to eat!
strike zone depth: if it is above the fish's holding comfort zone, is it looking to snatch and dash? If the fish turns its head to retreat to cover/deeper water/comfort zone, is it then more likely to be expelling an unwanted prize at right angles or more to the path it came in on? hence the coveted hinge hook up being more likely with a vertical strike..... Or is there more to it? does the vertical strike have an advantage in our own physical make up. are our muscles able to achieve this direction strike quicker, improved reaction time, better chance of getting the lure deviating its path to the edge of the mouth rather than missing the chance with a slower reaction.

Ok I'm frothing a bit here, better relax and do some actual work so I don't end up having more time to ponder the intricacies of barra tactics while lining up on the bread line.

Cheers Roo.

SeekingBarradise
09-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Ok here are some photo's to help with all those words i've posted.
Hope i didn't confuse people more than i helped.:)

This stuff will be used in the future so if anyone wants to use it for an article please contact me first.

Feet Placement Photo's

Some will show a narrow stance. Feet together arches to arches & the second narrow stance will be one foot behind the other.
Both are poor positions to transfer power in a cast, or in a strike and during the fight with the fish.
Some photo's will show weight on the toes & weight on the heels.
This will result in the body crapping itself during the adrenalin rush of the strike. The bodies priority will then be to find a balanced position asap so we don't get injured e.g. fall over and break a leg. While this is going on we are not thinking about the fish on the end of the line, and in this split second we give some advantage to the fish to escape. The fish will then start to pull and we will then need to be in a stronger position to fight it.
Some photo's will show where our feet will end up after the strike when the body is happy we are now in a balanced position and not in danger.
My point is shouldn't we have been in that position to start with?
Most sports won't let you kick a ball or throw one when you are in a poor positions Someone usually yells out "Stop you have it all wrong".:) I realise many would already have all that i have mentioned about foot position nailed and this thread might be sucking eggs for them, but i thought i'd post it to help people that haven't thought about foot positions.

Do some tinkering yourself. Cast in all different positions.
What are the differences you noticed?

Everyday Application to fishing
At the extreme end how about some guide figures. Just guessing here but imagine 2 clients on charter for 250 days a year. If i used 300 days the figures would be even more amazing.

Casting: Let's say they do 600 casts a day and are 10m short on all of them as they are new to fishing and they had no help. Thats 6000m of potential casts where their lures would be in the water per day. A lot of fish catching time - when lures are well away from the boat. I realise they can do more shorter casts, but most of that range is close to the boat. Thats about one and a half million metres of lure retrieving that clients have missed out on over a year.
6000mx250Days=1500000 Metres lost.

The Metres lost are the ones well away from the boat. Good fishing zones. Then the guide fixes some setup problems and regains that potentially lost 1.5 million metres of casting which will result in a lot more fish for happy clients. Before this the client didn't even know they were doing something wrong and thought they had long casts.:)

Striking: Now factor in missed strikes to converted strike ratio's. What if all clients had bad footwork and then resulted in off balance missed strikes, coupled with poor rod position to set srikes. How many strikes is a good ratio to miss?

For round figures say they get 4 strikes a day x 250days= 1000 a year.
300 are missed just out of the nature of the game, didn't hook well etc. It happens it's not a perfect world. Murphy's law etc.

We are left with 700 potential fish.

Because foot position, rod position, strike and retrieve positionl, drags were not addressed the clients miss 50% of fish. If average jo gets on a boat and hasn't done a hell of a lot of barra fishing and doesn't get all the above setups checked i reckon 50% loss might even be conservative. It's food for thought as everyone would come up with different figures. But beginners missing fish would be high.

We are left with 350 potential fish for the year. A bit over one a day if we catch them all.

Say those 350 got hooked on the first strike. If the client is not taken through the correct fish fighting methods they might lose say 1 in 3 about 30%. Yes some people can work this out without guides, but a lot haven't.

This leaves about 1 fish a day or around 250 for the year. A 100% success rate for fish cuaght on charter. About a 25% success rate or 75% failure rate in strikes converted by the clients fishing. Scary to think of it like that, but not so far from where things are really at for many of us. Even 60/40 is an interesting percentage.

My point here is that when we break things down we can see how much we have to learn. The percentages i've listed above are off the top of my head. I hope they show the harder path taken by clients that don't want to change their technique or learn anything.

Thankfully real guided averages are higher than this for a reason. I'm still amazed at how many fish clients manage to hang on to by converting strikes to landed fish. Charter strike and catch %'s are higher than if the same people fished by themselves as they won't know what they are doing wrong. It's one figure that rammed home to me the difference coaching makes. I've seen some of the best as well, the taylor brothers excell in strike conversions to landed fish. A hell of a lot of factors are considered important before lures even get tied on. However in this industry the main focus is on lures. Looking at it from outside sporting perspectives we have most of the industry back to front in our approach to learning in the fishing industry.

These points are not the be all and end all. Just food for thought on a few things we might not all talk or think about all the time.:)

Jm will be going in depth on rods, reels,drags and positioning in his future work. Too many pages for here and way too valuable to post for free.

Foot Position - Body position. Where are they right now when we fish?

Strikes to fish caught ratio's. Is 50% good or bad? Or should we be aiming for what NRL goal kickers average 70-85%. What is our average over our last years worth of barra fishing trips?

What do you think?

I might post this section under another heading later.

BR65
09-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Lyndon, nice yellow thongs mate;D

cheers
to all who keep posting, what a mix it is:)

regards
brian

TonyM
09-10-2008, 08:03 PM
I agree with Brian - can't get much more diverse in the way of responses, something for everyone, what value!

Lyndon, great read and thought provoking. At first I thought you were trying to teach us to do the Tango or something! ;D

NAGG
11-10-2008, 09:21 AM
I can see it now ....... everyone will have painted foot prints on their casting decks ( like a dance studio)

So I thought I'd get started early

My Balanced position = 36251

I've also done a version to help the brothers north of the Tweed ;D

36252 36253

Cheers

Nagg

nipsta
11-10-2008, 09:56 AM
I can see it now ....... everyone will have painted foot prints on their casting decks ( like a dance studio)

36252 36253

Cheers

Nagg

chris your a funny bugger i like that i reckon i would need about 20 on mine as i change every second lol

TonyM
11-10-2008, 09:57 AM

36252 36253

Cheers

Nagg

Chris, I can't help but wonder if the second version isn't a representation of how whitey kicked your butt on the last trip? ;D

p.s. Are you sure you're not at least slightly unbalanced? :-X :D

NAGG
11-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Chris, I can't help but wonder if the second version isn't a representation of how whitey kicked your butt on the last trip? ;D

p.s. Are you sure you're not at least slightly unbalanced? :-X :D

I didn't see any hand prints on the deck Tony;D

I've been unbalanced for many years ....... in particular over the last couple of years due to the onset of IBD::)

Chris

nipsta
11-10-2008, 11:19 AM
I didn't see any hand prints on the deck Tony;D

I've been unbalanced for many years ....... in particular over the last couple of years due to the onset of IBD::)

Chris

that ok chris im sure you will curied soon only 4 weeks till the novemebr session at mondy im also thinkinng of ducking up tooo awoonga for a day trip during the week so are you going there before you head further up

NAGG
11-10-2008, 11:37 AM
that ok chris im sure you will curied soon only 4 weeks till the novemebr session at mondy im also thinkinng of ducking up tooo awoonga for a day trip during the week so are you going there before you head further up

Simon ..... Yeh mate
10th -Monday lunch time we move off to Awoonga ........ & on Wednesday lunchtime off to Teemburra

Chris

nipsta
11-10-2008, 11:53 AM
;D
Simon ..... Yeh mate
10th -Monday lunch time we move off to Awoonga ........ & on Wednesday lunchtime off to Teemburra

Chris

ok if i can i might come up too awoonga on the tuesday but ill see what happens;D

NAGG
11-10-2008, 03:28 PM
;D

ok if i can i might come up too awoonga on the tuesday but ill see what happens;D

Hopefully you can make it :)

Chris

nipsta
11-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Hopefully you can make it :)

Chris
yes i will try as im keen to have a look how it has changed since last fishinfg there and it would be nice to meet trev

NAGG
11-10-2008, 04:21 PM
yes i will try as im keen to have a look how it has changed since last fishinfg there and it would be nice to meet trev

When did you last fish there ?

nipsta
11-10-2008, 05:54 PM
When did you last fish there ?
um years ago basically june 2007

matt fraser
11-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Fantastic Thread Guys, great ideas and sharing of knowledge. This is why I love Ausfish. I have a bad case of IBD - but some of you need help! soon!

Getting back to Naggs original thread. The Owner Saltwater Pro jigheads are undergoing some changes. You may have seen in some models in some shops are now a silver hook. This is because I have changed the hooks in the entire range of Saltwater Pros.

The new models of Nitro Saltwater Pro are Super Tin in finish (same as ST66 Trebles) they are still chemically sharpened. The main difference is the wire diameter is 10% thicker and 12% shorter.

So they are at least 10% stronger and heaps more corrosion resistant, but they are shorter, which may not suit the slick rigs as well.

So for all those infected with IBD, stock up on the original Black Nickel Saltwater Pros, because once they sell off the shelves they're gone!

Cheers,

Matt

NAGG
12-10-2008, 06:46 AM
Fantastic Thread Guys, great ideas and sharing of knowledge. This is why I love Ausfish. I have a bad case of IBD - but some of you need help! soon!

Getting back to Naggs original thread. The Owner Saltwater Pro jigheads are undergoing some changes. You may have seen in some models in some shops are now a silver hook. This is because I have changed the hooks in the entire range of Saltwater Pros.

The new models of Nitro Saltwater Pro are Super Tin in finish (same as ST66 Trebles) they are still chemically sharpened. The main difference is the wire diameter is 10% thicker and 12% shorter.

So they are at least 10% stronger and heaps more corrosion resistant, but they are shorter, which may not suit the slick rigs as well.

So for all those infected with IBD, stock up on the original Black Nickel Saltwater Pros, because once they sell off the shelves they're gone!

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks for the heads up Matt ....... I'll be stocking up for sure!

I've had a look at the new jig heads & yes they look pretty good ....... Though all the sizes I've seen have been too small anyhow!

Now ....... why the change? , specially when you consider that a longer shank hook is required for a lot of the larger stick baits ( let alone .... the adapted use of upgrading slick rigs) :-/ :( :'(

Chris

PS ..... Did Trev send you the TT jig head that I straightened at Awoonga ?

Awoonga
12-10-2008, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the heads up Matt ....... I'll be stocking up for sure!

I've had a look at the new jig heads & yes they look pretty good ....... Though all the sizes I've seen have been too small anyhow!

Now ....... why the change? , specially when you consider that a longer shank hook is required for a lot of the larger stick baits ( let alone .... the adapted use of upgrading slick rigs) :-/ :( :'(

Chris

PS ..... Did Trev send you the TT jig head that I straightened at Awoonga ? Chris no l didnt send it to him.. but l told him about it...Matt/ Nitro will have a range of Heads just for the hollowbellys soon...pps...l sent BR65 a pm with my mob phone on it... He did call but l was on the phone and a return number was not left..He said that he was coming up Rain/Wind ...whatever..Found the blue" ute "at the ramp..but no Brian... Does anyone know where he is staying ??..Fishing for the majority has been tough with the water temp falling just as fast as the Aussie dollar :'(

NAGG
12-10-2008, 08:09 AM
Chris no l didnt send it to him.. but l told him about it...Matt/ Nitro will have a range of Heads just for the hollowbellys soon...pps...l sent BR65 a pm with my mob phone on it... He did call but l was on the phone and a return number was not left..He said that he was coming up Rain/Wind ...whatever..Found the blue" ute "at the ramp..but no Brian... Does anyone know where he is staying ??..Fishing for the majority has been tough with the water temp falling just as fast as the Aussie dollar :'(

Hi Trev

No idea where he is staying ....... Doesn't Brian normally just lay out a swag ?? ......... he is renown for his "under the radar" trips

conditions bad hey:( ....... Makes me think how blessed we were on our trip with conditions pretty well perfect:) ...... anyhow , get rid of the shite weather now ( from memory ...... we had strong SE winds this time last year ....... during our Hinchinbrook , Faust , Teemburra & Mondy trip)

Hey .... I think Whitey is in depression atm ..... not being able to come up next month :-[

Chris

matt fraser
12-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Nagg,

The main reason for changing the hooks was to suit the snapper and offshore market. Even though the Saltwater Pros were pretty much the strongest hook on the market, we got the odd report of snapper bending or crushing them. So we made them stronger, and I think we can now definitely claim Nitro Saltwater Pros are the strongest Jigheads on the market!

We made them shorter because they suit the soft plastics better. A shorter hook is easier to rig, and now the 7/0 suits a 7" Jerkshad, 5/0 suits 5" jerkshad, 3/0 suits 4" minnow.

Sorry they dont suit the slick rigs so well anymore, if Smimano, don't get their act together soon, and upgrade their hooks, we might have to make a specific slick rig jig with the Owner Hooks.

Trev, how did your trip with JE go? Did the conditions improve?

Cheers,

Matt

Awoonga
12-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Just a bit....... Still lots of rain and wind...l did show him how to use the wind...he did have two hookups but lost both. He is one switched on Dude... The all round fisherman..

BR65
12-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Chris no l didnt send it to him.. but l told him about it...Matt/ Nitro will have a range of Heads just for the hollowbellys soon...pps...l sent BR65 a pm with my mob phone on it... He did call but l was on the phone and a return number was not left..He said that he was coming up Rain/Wind ...whatever..Found the blue" ute "at the ramp..but no Brian... Does anyone know where he is staying ??..Fishing for the majority has been tough with the water temp falling just as fast as the Aussie dollar :'(

Hey Tev, PM sent

TinarooTriumph
12-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Just started reading this thread now (late as always).

For once, I won't fuel any fire... but good luck to you know who on your future trips. Just remember to turn your sounder off, mate.

Its good to see all of you going into detail e.g. Feet stance/positioning etc. But, I personally just can't see it making too much difference into your overall results. In all honesty, over the last few months I have been really, really crap at setting hooks into fish - for a few reasons. One, I havn't been concentrating (my mind is elsewhere... maybe more coffee in the mornings eh?), two my Rod angles when striking have been too high, but for the third reason I believe its the Rod Im fishing with - that is your best tool (along with your reflexes) to set hooks. I have been a bit slow of late too... unlike me. Why the Rod? Too much of a Broomstick, perfect for twitching Lures to make them look good, perfect for putting maximum stress on fish, but for setting hooks they just don't have the softness and that spongieness I guess you could call it to set those trebles. Instead, with this Rod I have been using lately (Penn Powerstick Tournament thing... cheap, but light and has balls) I have had Lures fly back aimed at my head out of those bucketmouth bitches because of the crisp tip to the Rod. I think you are looking into the wrong subject when you mentioned feet positioning etc. Might play a small part, but for the initial strike I think you shouldn't worry about such a thing.

There are a few others I could mention. One is the positioning of your hands behind/infront of the trigger grip on a Baitcast Rod. Even more interesting I think, is the slant and angle of the butt-end of the Rod which extends along your forearm when Lurefishing.

As for Stingers and Plastics - I too have had a pay with stingers, but they are more hassel for me then they are worth. Lightish drag and a certain striking technique which I have been shown and brought up with will Boat more fish then not.

Happy hunting.

T

NAGG
12-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Hi Theo ..... How did the gang go over the weekend ?

Its funny how you mention about drag tension in reference to the strike - MW & I had a discussion during the last trip about the virtues of retrieving with a loose(ish) drag when fishing plastics ........ allowing for line to be pulled from the reel during the inhalation :-/ .... With the strike coming from a clamped down thumb on the spool ( the drag is increased once the hook up is made) - Sounds risky but the first two barra of the trip were landed using this technique:)

On the subject of rods ....... I dont use any rods that are too stiff for the lure / plastic being used - & I like longer blanks ( which could be a problem .....)

Chris

BR65
12-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Theo, Penn Pinpoint 56BCH by any chance, great litle stick, and cheap as to boot.

OK, so a question about SP bites.
On the weekend up at Awoonga I tossed around squidgys and bekleys, some modded with TT's, some not.
I was hanging off a point, belting out casts, watching some big boneys flick around me, when on a couple of retrieves I felt the most subtle of rattle/taps. I put it down to an amorous boney looking to hook up in the biblical sense with the big soft plastic, but now I wonder, could this have been a barra?? It was so far removed from the usual big swirl and jolting intake I expect in the sticks useing hard bodies, I didnt even rate it.

NAGG
13-10-2008, 07:03 AM
Theo, Penn Pinpoint 56BCH by any chance, great litle stick, and cheap as to boot.

OK, so a question about SP bites.
On the weekend up at Awoonga I tossed around squidgys and bekleys, some modded with TT's, some not.
I was hanging off a point, belting out casts, watching some big boneys flick around me, when on a couple of retrieves I felt the most subtle of rattle/taps. I put it down to an amorous boney looking to hook up in the biblical sense with the big soft plastic, but now I wonder, could this have been a barra?? It was so far removed from the usual big swirl and jolting intake I expect in the sticks useing hard bodies, I didnt even rate it.

Hi Brian ........ I'd just about bet your left that you were encountering barra - We had a couple sessions at both Mondy & Awoonga where we had a tentative bite.
We converted some of these into fish ......... by dropping down from 130 - 110/100mm slicks - & Whitey did the back the drag off thing - which instantly saw him land 2 x 90cm & jump off a couple:P
From memory ....... In particular at Awoonga most of the fish landed outside the peak bites involved subtle hits rather than the earth shaking strikes - more like a knock knock ........... MW lost( worn leader) a big fish that bit 3-4 times before he got the hook up - - - - - It was common to hear "ooooh missed one" & "again" - very subtle
I'm so convinced of this, that I have bought a variety of 4" plastics to throw when we encounter this type of thing

Fascinating fish these barra

Cheers

Chris

vet
13-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Almost certainly barra bites Brian, sometimes the feintest little tap jumps out of the water and suprises you at just how gentle a big barra can bite. Give it a go Nagg, we have been using 4inch plastics when the bite is tough for a few years now and it seems to produce hookups rather than little taps. Bad news about the saltwater pros changing hooks, as we have been using them for 2 years as well. Keep thinking, everything seems to be coming together for you, cheers scott.

BR65
13-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks boys, your confirmation of my suspicion is a double edged sword, on one hand at least it meant that I had found a fish holding spot and my retreive was interesting enough to raise an enquiry, on the other hand it means my fishing skills wernt good enough to convert the enquiry into something in the net.
Ahh well, live and learn.

Big_Ren
13-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Hi Theo ..... How did the gang go over the weekend ?

Hi Chris

I am sure Theo will respond in time, but I spoke to Navi just before lunch today. They are travelling on tough street at the moment....just a rat or two in some really trying conditions. I believe Theo took the boys out for a fish on Saturday but they have been fishing with Joe since.

Think they have had about 8 hours sleep since Friday.

Not sure if Matt has caught up with them, but I don't think so.

It has been squally and windy, but I am sure they will come up trumps in the end.

No misadventures as yet.

SeekingBarradise
13-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Well done again nagg some great food for thought on here mate. You always seem to drag out some good barra chat:)

Theo a great article as well mate thanks it is a good read. I wrote the foot position article in a back to front way as rod, reel, hands etc are all done with JM covering a lot of this in the future. It was hard to write the foot position section without linking the chain in right up the body and all the way down the line out to the fish. I've seen more than a few missed fish in comp and socially from good and bad anglers because of foot position, i wouldn't have mentioned it if i didnt' see them. :) One thing i have seen is that when they step back their concentration goes away from the fish and i've seen rods drop a little and the fish shake loose and get away.

Also most people wouldn't be able to spot what is good and bad (positions) if their job doesnt' have this radar set to notice these positions hundreds of times per week to avoid weak positions, to be in positions which will reduce long term injury (lure shoulder), to maximise casting and have a stronger strike position. I can guarantee there are strong and weak positions for them all.

My point is that everyone thinks they are doing nearly everything right in the fishing industry and they mainly concentrate on rods (Guns) & lures (bullets) which are all end products. I wrote this section thinking about the fishing industry in 20 years when we might have massive comps and hundreds of thousands more anglers fishing. Much of it on video to check technique. I thought it might be a bit early.

Casting: If i asked most people to show me the strongest position to get the longest cast they could throw, how many would know where to start? yet most think they cast a long way.

Striking: If i then asked them to show me the strongest and quickest strike position many wouldn't know what was good or not or where to start, that's why i included the foot position, as thats where it starts like most sports. The only thing is that nobody is really qualified to look at sporting setup positions. If i then asked many to show me a weak position for casting and striking how many would know what that was? I didn't want to go too far up the chain too quickly if many didn't have what bolts them to the floor in the right place. They are the foundations and i'll let JM put his work out regarding that.

Surprising: The main thing i'm suprised about in fishing is that everyone wants to be the most supreme hunter/fisherman/women possible, yet stacks of good and important points are pushed aside, even if they are all linked to fishing. Yes feet might be less important than upper body, rod, reel, line, hand postition etc but they are the only 2 things keeping us balanced and upright so they needed to be looked once in 50 000 threads as they are connected to the setup chain. I'm not saying they are number 1 out of all fishing points, but like lures they have their place, so i opened up the topic after i saw a guide put up the setpup chain on this thread. I also had a lot of confidece in adding this foot position section after chatting to Matt Coleman about where the fishing industry is right now and where it could be in the future.

People Helping Each Other: All this will be way easier in real life to have a friendly yarn (& beer) in the campgrounds of our barra dams. It might only be 1% of the equation, but it might surprise a few 2. This chat will need to be a few hours long i reckon to let everyone fiddle around with everyones different ideas. I guess it's just hard to have a good chat about this on the net without physically going over a few of each others ideas and trying them out - helping each other. I'd just like to say i'd have craploads wrong but i'm willing to learn from everyone on here. We can all learn from each other on here and i'm glad you added your work to this thread Theo thankyou mate. I'll even pm you saying thanks.
Matt your updates on hooks are great as well thanks, keep the coming.

Where the confusion might be is that i've seen JM's work and fishing setup going up the chain which will all be out in the future hence why i am confident in my article on here. I even double checked it with a chat for an hour on strike ratio's , guide results over the years last friday.

The more information out about barramundi the better and threads like this one are great as we are all helping by talking about our own experiences.

NAGG
13-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Almost certainly barra bites Brian, sometimes the feintest little tap jumps out of the water and suprises you at just how gentle a big barra can bite. Give it a go Nagg, we have been using 4inch plastics when the bite is tough for a few years now and it seems to produce hookups rather than little taps. Bad news about the saltwater pros changing hooks, as we have been using them for 2 years as well. Keep thinking, everything seems to be coming together for you, cheers scott.

Hi Scott
Seems that I'm a little behind the times ::) Nothing new:(
Its one of those things, I guess - working out the subtleties , which you only get with time on the water ! Very difficult when you are 1400kms away from the nearest barra impoundment!!!!

All good fun though!

See you at Teemburra

Chris

Big_Ren
13-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Thanks boys, your confirmation of my suspicion is a double edged sword, on one hand at least it meant that I had found a fish holding spot and my retreive was interesting enough to raise an enquiry, on the other hand it means my fishing skills wernt good enough to convert the enquiry into something in the net.
Ahh well, live and learn.

Brian

We encountered the same phenomenon last October at Awoonga. Plenty of gentle taps and short strikes on the SPs at night. We were dead set certain they were catties, until Navi tied on an X Rap and connected to a barra.

The lesson for us was when the barra were short striking, bugger off the plastics and switch back to HBs with a real slow retrieve cadence.

NAGG
13-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Well done again nagg some great food for thought on here mate. You always seem to drag out some good barra chat:)

Hi Lyndon

As you've discovered .... I love to chat about barra tackle, locations , techniques etc ........ & considering we are pretty light on down here with experienced barra fishoes - forums like this are gold
Its all good when we can learn from each other by sharing personal experiences or throwing something into the ring to promote discussion ! - As I said at the muster "The regular group that participate in the freshwater chat seem to be a great bunch ..... with so much to offer! - much more than just a fishing chat site IMO!

Cheers

Chris

DEANO68
13-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Hi Lyndon

As you've discovered .... I love to chat about barra tackle, locations , techniques etc ........ & considering we are pretty light on down here with experienced barra fishoes - forums like this are gold
Its all good when we can learn from each other by sharing personal experiences or throwing something into the ring to promote discussion ! - As I said at the muster "The regular group that participate in the freshwater chat seem to be a great bunch ..... with so much to offer! - much more than just a fishing chat site IMO!

Cheers

Chris

hi chris, personaly i cant throw much experience at many as im still a bit of a greenhorn,on the barra scene, but the knowledge i have sucked in from you and others on this site has been priceless,and it keeps me very keen after some fruitless but very enjoyable trips..yes i have reached the metre mark but quantity has avoided me(so far ).but the social side has been fantastic,ie muster...thanks for yours and everyone elses advice...see what it turns to next month..
cheers deano...

vet
13-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Hello Nagg, You're not behind the times just because we have tried it. We spend a lot of time on the water so have tried many things. Your suggestions help out many people who don't get to spend the time. Sorry if i caused offense, cheers scott.

NAGG
14-10-2008, 05:37 AM
Hello Nagg, You're not behind the times just because we have tried it. We spend a lot of time on the water so have tried many things. Your suggestions help out many people who don't get to spend the time. Sorry if i caused offense, cheers scott.

Scott ..... No offence taken at all
As you pointed out .... your self ( & others) get to spend many days fishing for barra ( I am green with envy though:P ) ....... so you have the opportunity to tinker etc .......... Me I have to look for answers & solutions before I even know what the problem is::) - Keeps me insane;D

Cheers

Chris

TinarooTriumph
14-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Brian,

Yeah mate thats the Rod. Its not a bad one for the price I paid... I like it.

NAGG & co.

Trying conditions up here at the moment. Nav and Vin have had jack all sleep... Joe's giving them a workout as you would expect haha. I saw em' yesterday at lunch and they were just about to head out again for an arvo session... up until then I think Vin and Joe had landed a few rats each and Joe missed a set on a nice fish in one session. In 3 morning sessions I scored quite a few rats, 9 or 10 of them... missed a 90 odd on the first morning. Matt, Andrew and Aaron had about the same success as I did from what I hear.

Am taking Nav and Vin out 2moro for a day session up the Northern end of the Dam. The weather looks to be October-ish to say the least. We'll get a few though.

Theo

mikooh
14-10-2008, 06:18 PM
On the subject of casting...

On my last trip I recon the average cast was around 30-35 Meters in calm conditions, mainly throwing 6" hollowbellys on a 3/8 jighead and lightened slickies. With a good breeze behind you could push to say 45 M.

So I guess my question is how far do you think you need to cast to effectively fish points and shallow bays? If you are quiet enough (sounders off etc) does it really matter if your out 20M or 40M? I wouldn't think so....but may be wrong!

BTW I was using a steez and 6'10" loomis spinnerbait rod loaded with 30lb- A bit adventurous for Awoonga, but a joy to cast all day!

Thanks,

Mick

NAGG
14-10-2008, 06:46 PM
On the subject of casting...

On my last trip I recon the average cast was around 30-35 Meters in calm conditions, mainly throwing 6" hollowbellys on a 3/8 jighead and lightened slickies. With a good breeze behind you could push to say 45 M.

So I guess my question is how far do you think you need to cast to effectively fish points and shallow bays? If you are quiet enough (sounders off etc) does it really matter if your out 20M or 40M? I wouldn't think so....but may be wrong!

BTW I was using a steez and 6'10" loomis spinnerbait rod loaded with 30lb- A bit adventurous for Awoonga, but a joy to cast all day!

Thanks,

Mick

Mick ... sounds like you were throwing a sweet outfit ........ I know of someone with an identical one ( do you want to see my photo ;) )

OK ...... I'll probably be shot down here .......... 30-40M should see you in the good zone & to date for us - most hookups will come in the first 5 M from the shore or weed edge ! ........ Yes you will get followers & yes you will get hits at the back of the boat .......... but so far from my experiences - early rather than late.

If you are tied off or anchored quietly - 25M may be enough!!

Chris

mikooh
14-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Mick ... sounds like you were throwing a sweet outfit ........ I know of someone with an identical one ( do you want to see my photo ;) )

Ahh....unless your tall, blonde and busty.....I think I'll pass;D ;D

Some of the areas we fished were over submerged weed where there was only around 2ft or less of clear water to present a lure. we dropped back to 1/4oz jigheads in order to keep the speed down, but casting distance suffered a fair bit using baitcast gear. Still had some enquiries though.

Mick

NAGG
14-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Ahh....unless your tall, blonde and busty.....I think I'll pass;D ;D

Some of the areas we fished were over submerged weed where there was only around 2ft or less of clear water to present a lure. we dropped back to 1/4oz jigheads in order to keep the speed down, but casting distance suffered a fair bit using baitcast gear. Still had some enquiries though.

Mick

mick .... I handed that outfit to MW to throw Kermits over shallow weed beds ( What a nice bloke I am :P ) ......... ;) ........ He missed a couple ( 20M no worries)

Chris

Big_Ren
14-10-2008, 10:06 PM
Am taking Nav and Vin out 2moro for a day session up the Northern end of the Dam. The weather looks to be October-ish to say the least. We'll get a few though.

Theo

Theo most probably has heard but the boys have come good....Vin has nailed 4 (a 114, 116 and 117 and a 70-odd I think) while Navi has scored 3 (a 30, a 118 and a 121).

Cheers
Paul

BR65
15-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Paul, did I read correctly, a 30???????????
Navi isnt fishin in the fingerling tank is he?

NAGG
15-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Paul, did I read correctly, a 30???????????
Navi isnt fishin in the fingerling tank is he?

gotta be a misprint ....... 1030 or 1300 ......

I've never heard of a 30cm barra landed ....... 45 is the smallest I've seen

Chris

Whitto
15-10-2008, 08:16 PM
What tha.........7 Barra... 1 of dubious size....would I be too early in thinking the tide has turned for the boys....concidering there has been no breakages or losses at this stage.......none the less Good Job Lads....can't wait for the report:o

BR65
15-10-2008, 08:24 PM
What tha.........7 Barra... 1 of dubious size....would I be too early in thinking the tide has turned for the boys....concidering there has been no breakages or losses at this stage.......none the less Good Job Lads....can't wait for the report:o

Im with you Whitto, but... ......a 30???? ;D

chewy01
15-10-2008, 08:29 PM
It may have been geting friendly with navis stiffy.Glad to see the dynamic duo getting into a few without too many debacles. nice fish guys

eotbmg
16-10-2008, 09:16 AM
confirmation of a 30cm barra, and he reckons it took drag!!!!
Ben

Whitto
16-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Ripper Ben......A baby with attitude....that can only be good....Cheeky little pr..k;D

vet
16-10-2008, 04:24 PM
30cm definitely possible. This monster went a whole 28cm, from mighty faust. cheers scott.

NAGG
16-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Yeh that is a small barra Scott ...... Would have been nice on bream gear:P

vet
16-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Hooked on 50lb jigman braid, black sheep, live fibre 50lb impoundment barra rod, twisted 60lb leader. I wasn't even sure if he was on or not. Did consider leaving him on the hook and towing him around slowly as a livey. cheers scott.

Bugeye
16-10-2008, 08:25 PM
a little fella i got in the fitzroy river today in rocky.. didn measure him but i reckon hed be flatout bein 25cms as thats a 11cm lure he tried to eat.

Big_Ren
16-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Yes Brian, Whitto and all

A 30 it was (my pet barra was bigger)....Navi's guns would have been pumping.

He now has his PB and his PW, all from one trip;D;D The boys apparently dropped another 3 this morning. They are home tomorrow night.

Cheers
Paul

NAGG
17-10-2008, 07:51 AM
Yes Brian, Whitto and all

A 30 it was (my pet barra was bigger)....Navi's guns would have been pumping.

He now has his PB and his PW, all from one trip;D;D The boys apparently dropped another 3 this morning. They are home tomorrow night.

Cheers
Paul

It sounds like they have had a good little trip (PBs & PWs ;D ) ....... I cant wait to have another crack at the place

Chris

SeekingBarradise
23-09-2009, 03:42 PM
This good thread started by Chris has become topical again so instead of typing the same info over and over again just because people didn't slow down read, then trial the ideas over a year ago, i took the time to search for it and post it up agan.

It kills 2 birds with one stone, it gets another soft plastic looked at in a soft plastic series (The slick rig) which is reviewed by Chris, which follows on from the Hollowbellies thread and the soft plastic thinking thread by Johnny Mitchell which helps everyone out with suggestions on what to look for in a barra soft plastic.
I'm sure some of this info will be copied and used by companies in the future.

This thread also branches off to some current topics such as Matt Frasers dominant arm, non dominant thread and Nagg's Barra nips & conversions thread, they all weave in together in parts.

All in all this thread should please everyone from people interested in thinking and starting off on the right foot. (Pardon the pun). To those slick rig lovers that should be as happy as Larry with this thread like chris and those stiffy lovers like Steve B and so on. :)

If the combined knowledge of the last 3 threads in the freshwater section doesn't help people out this summer i don't know what will LOL.

Enjoy the reads.
Cheers Lyndon.