PDA

View Full Version : 22Lb Golden off Lucinda

JRJR
02-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Just got back from my trip up North.

After much Trolling of a large lure off the Lucinda belt (almost 6ks off shore in 50' of water) I finally bagged my first Golden Trevally.

22lb (100cm)

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u22/paulez2/IMG_0115.jpg

These Goldens sure do pull hard. Rod tip bend down right into the water at one stage. It sure was a lot of fun. I knew I had a big fish as soon as I grabbed the rod and I didn't care weather I landed the fish or not as I was was having so much fun.

Took about 10 minutes to land.

fish-n-dive
02-10-2008, 07:02 PM
LOL, you wouldn't catch me out in the briny in a kayak (not that they make em big enough for me........) Very nicely done mate!!;)

Scott nthQld
02-10-2008, 07:28 PM
well done mate great fish, they pull hard don't they? See what I have to put up with!

Your a bit game heading out on the yak up here, a few too many bitey things up here for me to get the mustard to do that.

PS. Those goldens are great on the tooth fresh, and freeze well too, but they are a little bit dry at that size, about 3-5kg is perfect though.

JRJR
03-10-2008, 06:58 AM
One day I went for a trip up one of the rivers to see if I might see a small croc. Up to Dungeness and left at the first small creek and just a little past an old trawler anchored in the middle I heard something, looked up and this dirty big croc was just sliding off the bank into the water. Must have been 4-5m. Not a small one after all!

I thought to myself, I come, I saw.................and now I'm bloody leaving!

I turned around and left.

I basically kept to the ocean and out of the creeks after that.

There are always plenty of Kayakers going over to Hinchinbrook. I don't see any major problems Yakking in the ocean.

StevenM
03-10-2008, 08:10 AM
Great fish mate

couta1
03-10-2008, 07:08 PM
great fish mate...dont u love the way those trevally pull

Fishin_Dan
03-10-2008, 07:46 PM
I've been weighing up my options on kayaking up here... I'm so tempted to get it out and get some fish from it, but I'm also s**t scared of getting eaten!!! ;D HA HA HA. The stingers up here that are about to appear aren't real fun either...

Awesome Golden but! They're so much fun to catch.

Pilchard
26-10-2009, 11:31 PM
nice fish JRJR

LostNearBribie
27-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Excellent!
Great pic too.
Is that a Halco hanging out of its gob?

JRJR
27-10-2009, 04:53 PM
It's a lively lure actually.
People always put the wind up me a bit when I go up there but once I get on the water I relax. No point worrying.
Kayaks are always paddling to the island and there has never been any reports of any incidents.

It's funny some of the stories you hear though. A story I heard last month when I was up there was that a big croc was supposed to regularly have a go at the big steal barge that travels to and from Palm Island.

So................It seems a croc would rather have a go at a 10 or 20 tonne large steel barge than worry about a defenceless Kayaker.

The stories get better each year.

Glad you like the Golden.

Hope you like my most recent catch:

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=155744