PDA

View Full Version : Hinz/Clarrie Hall

themissus
02-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Hi Guys,
Anyone know how Hinz or Clarrie Hall have been fishing the last few weeks? We have a long weekend and thought we'd give them both a lash. Anyone planning to fish them this weekend? We are coming down off a barra high and thought a few bass might keep the IBD at bay.:-/

Cheers Kim.

rc@hinze
02-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Hi Kim, I havent fished Hinze for 2 weeks but the two weeks previous to that saw us getting back onto a few bass. We got about 5 into the boat the last 2 trips in the eastern arm and I know a mate has been getting a few up the western arm .

There is also a new temporary boatramp at the Mudgeeraba end at the top of range rd. Dont go right any more but go straight head down the dirt track thru the gate in front of you. The parking problems have finally been solved.

All the best if you get up there. I might have to go to Noosa for work on the weekend otherwise I plan to get out there myself. I have included a photo of the new ramp. - cheers Richard

Pumba
03-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Hi Kim,
I will hopefully be fishing Clarrie on Sunday and maybe Hinze western arm Saturday Arvo. Hoping to 'blood' my new alphas/loomis.

If you see out, come over and say g'day. White Makocraft as in avatar.

Cheers,
Matt

themissus
03-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Cheers Guys, not sure what days we will be where yet. We will be in Tin Tub a 350 traveler. We will keep an eye out for you both. Good luck, keep us posted with how you go.
The ramp looks great, what an improvement!!
Cheers Kim

Tester63
03-10-2008, 09:23 PM
If you're at Clarrie, I'm the guy in the old Orange canoe. Been up last two saturdays. Good on dusk, but I wish the gate stayed open longer.

OverNover
08-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Not hijacking your thread, just wondering if you or anyone else got out last weekend and if so, how'd you go?? I was fishin the Classic but I'm keen to get attached to a Bass, Flatties are fun but just don't pull like a fired up Bass, Cheers Guys.

;)

rayken1938
09-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Fished western arm yesterday morning for 7 bass and one tandanus all on bait. Not a touch on lures or spinnerbaits. Ramp is a bit ordinary as you have to jacknife trailer and launch off side into deep water.
Cheers
Ray

themissus
09-10-2008, 09:52 AM
We fished Clarrie on sunday and Roo got 4 little ones about 20cm. I scored a donut. The water have this rusty cloudy stuff in it, it was really weird.
On Monday we put in at the bridge above the weir between m-bah and Uki and headed up the Tweed and got 2 each. It's really beautiful up there, leccie only so I don't think it see's to many people. Caught my first wild bass which was a bit of a thrill.
Cheers Kim.

rc@hinze
09-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Kim, i was working near Hinze this morning so went for a flick for 1/2 an hour. No hits at all on a variety of lures. One thing though,compared to your comment about the water quality at Clarrie, the water was the clearest I have ever seen it. I could see my lure flashing 20 metres out and with the polaroids on it was just amazing the detail you could see.( couldn't see any bass though)

themissus
09-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Cheers Richard, It was very strange, they were patches of crystal clear then there was the yucky stuff!! I still haven't fished Hinze yet, I really hope to get there soon.
Kim.

Leigh77
09-10-2008, 05:51 PM
The water clarity issues could (and I do say COULD) be a result of the council spraying the parrot feather weed.

http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weedident.cgi?tpl=plant.tpl&ibra=all&card=W18

So now not only is there Sylvinia

http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weedident.cgi?tpl=plant.tpl&state=&s=&ibra=all&card=W02

and cabomba

http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weedident.cgi?tpl=plant.tpl&state=&s=&ibra=all&card=W04

All of these weeds can get out of control very quickly...It would be a shame to see such a beautifull place destroyed by these weeds, but the Tweed Council is doing everything they can to at least control these weeds.

If you have ever been to Lake McDonald (Sunshine Coast, QLD) you would know what Cabomba can do...and check out this link http://www.wsbb.com.au/smf/index.php?topic=2168.0 to see what Salvinia can do.

Leigh.

themissus
15-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the links Leigh!! We saw all 3 at Clarrie. I was reading the sign at the boat ramp about how quickly Sylvinia can spread. It would be a full time job keeping it under control, bloody stuff. Being our water supply, you'd hope they don't spray. Although it may be the only way to keep the weeds under control. Wonder if spraying affects the fish at all?
Cheers Kim.

chewy01
15-10-2008, 03:54 PM
pretty sure it hasnt affected you n roo....... much :) :) :)

themissus
16-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Nope, we drink organic bottled water!! Nothing wrong with us babe:P

bugman
16-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Guys,

Sorry can't give a report on Clarrie or Hinze but can tell you the bass have switched on in the Tweed river.

Fishing below the weir last week saw us nail plenty of big fat bass and would you believe one yellowbelly (lost) amongst them.

The river has been full of prawns lately. The pro netters have been having a field day down towards the bridge at the sugar mill. We've even been getting the prawns off our pontoon.

The bass we've been catching have been spewing up prawns they're that full. We did ok on surface poppers at the weir but have had best success with deep diving lures trolled around the prawn schools hanig deep in the deep stretches of the river. Dark coloured Vipers actually.

Best have nudged 48cm but they are that fat it's incredible.

Good luck

Brett

Roo
16-10-2008, 12:48 PM
theres my weekend sorted then. How are you catching the prawns? I've never targeted them in NSW.....didn't know how.

cheers Roo.

bugman
16-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Roo,

Cast nets are illegal in NSW;)

The pros drive big sein nets across the holes and drive the prawns into long socks which they haul in by hand.

We watched them a few times and even went over in the boat to give them a hand because they had that many prawns they couldn't lift them. The guys we helped were catching them for Tweed bait in order to become little packets of frozen prawn bait.

We got a few kilos for our efforts but they are the smaller versions.

A flounder light and a little hand net off the pontoon at night has got us a few - but not really enough to eat - more for bait.

I haven't tried yet but anchoring up onthe bass schools in the deep sections and drifting down an unweighted live prawn would see cricket scores I reckon.

If only I had more time away from the shop.

Brett