PDA

View Full Version : boat trailer protection from rust

catfish55
01-10-2008, 03:58 PM
ok guys and girls what's the best thing to paint the trailer to stop rust. it's galled but the rust is just starting to appear.
somone has suggested tectyl???? does anybody have some input.....pat;) :o
or other suggestions ....now be nice hehehe

dog tooth
01-10-2008, 04:37 PM
why not get it re galv diped

cheers
dog tooth

ronnien
01-10-2008, 04:56 PM
catfish55

give the rust a good sanding than paint some gal over it & tectyl it, i do mine every 6 months & no rust at all.
the trailer is about 18 months old.

ron.

Moonlighter
01-10-2008, 10:06 PM
I spray my trailer every 12 months or so with lanoline - the Ozspray industry extra brand and grade. 7 years, no rust.

Just have to keep a bucket of cold water handy for a couple of weeks after re-coating it to keep the Kiwi's off it ....;)

Grant

oldboot
01-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Galmet duragal........ fabulous stuff
It has more resin in it that most other cold gal products...sprays great, brushes well.....dries real fast...........sticks like ..... to a blanket.....and looks good.

scrub whatever back to bright metal and clean well with thinners...stick it on.... sprays best......

thinners clean up.

cheers

twist
02-10-2008, 06:44 AM
Tectyl is easy and at ten bucks a can you can't go wrong... Great call about the bucket of water in there.

catfish55
02-10-2008, 06:47 AM
catfish55

give the rust a good sanding than paint some gal over it & tectyl it, i do mine every 6 months & no rust at all.
the trailer is about 18 months old.

ron.
if you do it every 6 months how do you get the tectyl off before you repaint the gal ???
does it stay sticky all the time??
what sort or type no. tyktyl did you use.....pat

catfish55
02-10-2008, 06:50 AM
I spray my trailer every 12 months or so with lanoline - the Ozspray industry extra brand and grade. 7 years, no rust.

Just have to keep a bucket of cold water handy for a couple of weeks after re-coating it to keep the Kiwi's off it ....;)

Grant

hehehe good one grant doesn't the lanolin come off and it'd be sticky all the time wouldn't it . what happens if you needed to paint an area again say with

catfish55
02-10-2008, 06:57 AM
Galmet duragal........ fabulous stuff
It has more resin in it that most other cold gal products...sprays great, brushes well.....dries real fast...........sticks like ..... to a blanket.....and looks good.

scrub whatever back to bright metal and clean well with thinners...stick it on.... sprays best......

thinners clean up.

cheers yeah done the cold gal thngy can never gat all not sure what to put on it though tectyl thers about 200 different products and not a contact no in australia , well by the site i found ,,thanks....pat

Poodroo
02-10-2008, 07:47 AM
I use a Karcher high pressure cleaner to thoroughly blast all the salt off it after every trip. The trailer is nearly a year old and so far so good. Not a sign of any rust yet. If it does appear I will hit it with Tectyl.

Poodroo

MarkDiver
02-10-2008, 08:53 AM
I use fish oil on suspect areas. Straight out of a can from S-Cheap. Probably 2 cans for under $10?? Also on winch or anything else that needs some protection.

oldboot
02-10-2008, 09:43 AM
All the film protection products such as lanolin, fishoil and the proprietry chemicals are fine & beaut, but they can not replace the cathodic protection provided by zinc.

Hot dipped gal is best, but a cold gal product properly applied is a good second.

A oily film product then applied in conjunction with a zinc product is a very good combination.

cheers

Moonlighter
02-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Hi Catfish

The Ozspray lanoline dries ofter a couple of weeks, and in that time it picks up a bit of road dust, so trailer looks "dirty", but underneath the gal steel is still shiny! The "wet sheep" smell disappates then too so you can then put away the buckets of cold water .....;) Poor sheep ....:o :o

If you want to totally remove the lanoline coating at any time, any decent HD grade degreaser or steam cleaner will rip it off pronto. I don't bother - just spray over the top of last year's coat.

I agree with Oldboot - you can't beat proper hot dipped gal - what I think most people here are saying is that they apply tectyl, fish oil etc over the top of the hot dip gal as extra protection, and especially hit non-gal parts like springs etc, that's certainly what I do.

I also replaced the cheap zinc plated bolts and nuts with HD gal or stainless, in both cases also gave them a good coat of lanoline grease, as it seems that of all parts of the trailer suceptible to rust, these are the worst. Them and non-gal springs and axels of course.

I also sprayed the lanoline are far up inside the RHS section as possible. So far, so good. Sheep happy too, as they get a couple of week's reprieve as well.....::) Am thinking of hooking the trailer up to the electric fence for a couple of weeks after re-sprayng with lanoline - that'll make things interesting.;D ;D

Grant

flyer912
02-10-2008, 06:29 PM
I wrap the back end of my trailers up as far as it goes into the water in Denso wrap.
The waxy one, it's a gauze impregnated with wax for wrapping underground pipelines.
I also wrap the axle and leaf springs, water will not get in.
Blackwoods should have it.

Baz

murf
02-10-2008, 06:39 PM
tectyl 506 I think it is from memory

the only way to go on the back end of the trailer that gets wet all of the time, been 2 years since I did mine and just a quick touch up on a few places. the trailer was two years old when I first did it

Tectyl will stay in a waxy coating and self heals, it hardens enough on the outside so it doesn't collect dust (I live on a dirt road)

I put it on all bolts (wheel Nuts etc) when installing them as well as any other place that is a high risk area, you soon see these;)

cheers Murf

watup89
04-10-2008, 08:16 PM
tectyl 506

aval at supercheap in the spray cans

or autobarn had the cans and the big 4L tins

just about to coat my new trailer and all parts

Daz

ronnien
04-10-2008, 08:31 PM
if you do it every 6 months how do you get the tectyl off before you repaint the gal ???
does it stay sticky all the time??
what sort or type no. tyktyl did you use.....pat

Valvoline tectyl, haven't had to re gal at all. the same day i bought the trailer i done it & do it every 6 mths & no rust. if you have to re gal you are going to have to get the rust off either use a wire brush or a angle grinder to get it off so you are back to bare surface, then brush the gal let dry then tactyl it.

ron.

murf
04-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Yep 506 is the #

my bad:-[

cheers Murf

Lucky_Phill
04-10-2008, 09:49 PM
All good info guys,

I used tectyl 506 and then also did some Lanotec.

At Kingfisher Bay resort on Fraser Island, they spray the trucks, buses and cars with 50/50 tectyl 506 and Lanotec.

Tectyl helps the lanotec to dry but still allows it to ' creep '.

Best bet is simply keeping on top of any spots that appear.

catfish55
05-10-2008, 06:59 PM
ok guys and thanks for all your input ... yes and tetyl is the winner untill .
i got a tin of tectyl 506 and on the top of the tin was some spilt tectyl.mmm so i left it out in the sun as you would a boat trailer. this boat trailer is galled but it's 5 years old.
anyway back to the experiment after leaving it in the morning sun today sunday and not a hot day like in summer.
you can move it with you fingers
if i was on the trailer i'd have footprint everywere and then some on the boat wheni crawled on...
coments please from people that have used it.
also i do see on the bucket it says ther is one for galled trailer but it's an epoxy mix??? and coments ther too , has anyone used this one i'll get the no soon .......pat