PDA

View Full Version : Fishermen - Boaters - Nav Lights

Obi _ Wan
30-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Unfortunately i hear once again of a near miss at night on one of our impoundments :angryfire:

A fisherman was heading back to the boat ramp when at the last moment he saw a tinnie in front of him with no nav lights, now travelling at a fair speed he only just managed to avert a collision :furious:

Now i think we have all heard of these near misses and fortunately i have not heard of an impact yet , but a collision will happen if these mindless idiots continue to travel, troll in mind numbing circles, fish shorelines without nav lights.

Why do these people continue to do this? when it is a well known fact that the boating and fisheries patrols quite often station themselves at the ramps at night time and fine boaters who come into the ramp without nav lights ;)

It is beyond my reasoning to understand why they would and that by doing this they risk, losing their lives, losing a loved one (wife, son, daughter), killing another party.
All that with the possibility of losing their boat and all their gear and cop a huge fine and possibly be charged with manslaughter or even murder :o

WHY???? WHEN A SET OF NAV LIGHTS COST LESS THAN THE FINE FOR NOT HAVING THEM :angry: WTF!!!!!!!!!

It is law that you display nav lights and also carry a signaling device (TORCH), if for some reason your nav lights have a problem, FOR GOD'S SAKE, MINE AND EVERYONE ELSES, turn the F******g torch on to show others where you are >:(

Do you want to continue to fish at night??????? do you wish to be able to travel at more than 6 knots?????????

IF YOU DO, INSTALL NAV LIGHTS, TURN THE BA*****S ON AT NIGHT :angryfire:

John.

PS. Sorry for the rant and rave people but this is a very serious issue and all concerned should be aware of their responsibilities with nav lights before somebody is killed.

2manylures
30-09-2008, 11:58 PM
Why not take it a step further and ask the question WHY isn't it legislated & mandatory for dealers, manufacturers etc to have bloody lights fitted as standard.

Try & buy a car or TRAILER without lights.

It's LAW to have lights on all trailers & other road vehicles!

Why should a boat be any different?

Luc
01-10-2008, 01:02 AM
It would be one thing to have nav lights mandatory, the other would be to get the idiots to actually turn them on.

Having nav lights on spook the fish you know!!!

Idiots without lights is the main reason I try not to fish around the new moon.

The fines that would be levied during a serious night blitz by fisheries and boating patrol would more than cover the cost of their overtime and the fine for not having lights on should be significant.

Luc

BobbyJ123
01-10-2008, 04:45 AM
Good post, Obi_Wan....Just bought a set, even though I have never used my tinny at night- just in case.

mikooh
01-10-2008, 07:38 AM
In the few trips I have made to Awoonga, every one of them has involved a near miss with a tinny in stealth mode... close enough to ensure that all trips across the basin now involve a spotter at the front of the boat with a searchlight. Now my little hornet doesn't go that fast, but with the amount of high powered boats getting around now it seems that it is only a matter of time before a near miss turns into an accident. When this happens, it wont be the tosser in the unlit boat who suffers most- everyone else will be the scapegoats.

A well timed post Obi_wan!

Mick

NAGG
01-10-2008, 08:00 AM
With the ABT Awoonga rounds (Night event & Evening rounds) being held during pretty well moonless nights .......... I only hope those jokers stay at home, because with a fair few boats fishing the ABT ....... . someone just may get killed!

SO LIGHTEN UP !!!!!

Big_Ren
01-10-2008, 10:03 AM
A timely post John.

The law is unequivocally clear in this respect. http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Safety/Navigation_lights/

The applicable sections state:

Sailboats less than seven metres and vessels under oars must have a torch or lantern showing a white light ready to display in time to prevent a collision.

Power-driven ships must show sidelights and either an all round white light or a stern and masthead light. Sailboats under engine power are considered to be power-driven ships, and must show the same lights as a power-driven ship.

Power-driven ships less than seven metres in length and whose speed does not exceed seven knots, may show an all round white light in lieu of sidelights. If practical, these ships should also show sidelights.

All ships at anchor must show an all-round white light.

Cheers
Paul

Brenno
01-10-2008, 07:43 PM
i know what you mean i've been out and have gone past some boats with out ligths on and when i put my spot light on them they quickly shine one back, lucky these has all been just on dark and there is still enough light to see them by.

was out on saturday night when i realised that my lights weren't working so i quickly made my way back to the boat ramp. it was then that the lights came back on but keep blinking, thought about staying out, but decided against it, didn't this it was the right thing to do.

Mark

Tropicaltrout
01-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Its a tough issue this one. I am sure most of us have a story to tell of a near miss or how many shadows was on the dam last night etc...:o

The hard truth is the chance of getting caught is near impossible,>:( we had many topics on here and sweetwater web site on the issue of policing or lack there of on our fantastic impoundments that alot of us frequent.

What do we do well give them a blast (with in reason)I reckon and take down a rego, and report them to the local athorities.;)

With a hundred trailers at a ramp on any given summer month on barra dams why the hec is the no policing???? I buy my SIP each year and with that like the fact that I doing the right thing but in the years since they have been in this state I have never once been checked nor seen a inspector at a ramp. some of us no dobt have seen one once or twice but gee they a few and too far in between.

Thats my winge:)

Nath

Dick Pasfield
01-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Not sure if I've posted this pic on this subject before but as well as nav lights this one stays on all the time when I'm on the plane.

Don't have a boat issue of a night up here but floating cumbungi rafts are just as hard to see.