PDA

View Full Version : Anchor up of move by electric whilst Barra fishing

Mossie1
29-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Gents
I would just like to ask your thoughts relating to the difference of sitting in one location and peppering it, against slowly working an electric along a bank or weed edge.
What are the factors as to why you tie up and when?

Regards Mossie

PS 6 more sleeps until Awoonga, if you see a with skeeter with a silver slash please come and say g,day.:P

NAGG
29-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Gents
I would just like to ask your thoughts relating to the difference of sitting in one location and peppering it, against slowly working an electric along a bank or weed edge.

Regards Mossie

PS 6 more sleeps until Awoonga, if you see a with skeeter with a silver slash please come and say g,day.:P

Hey Mossie ....... I'm a big fan of Anchoring / tying off ......... It's a bit more of a hassle but the results often justify this tact
I feel that given the right location & sometimes conditions ....... Transient fish will move past prominent points or out / into holding locations.
There is a lot to be said for stealth as well ........ just as long as you are not clanging away with anchors & chain .......... We were forced to take this approach last March ...... due to Leccy failure & with some instruction by Trev (Awoonga) we had success - We have adapted this approach for our prime time fishing these days
We still continue to prospect bays & points on the leccy ....... but catch 80% of our fish whilst tied off!

Cheers

Chris

(PS Use a buoy on the rope ...... so you can cast off if necessary)

Awoonga
29-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Yes yes all off the above...

mikooh
29-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Gents

Regards Mossie

Hey Mossie, We will be up there from this Saturday for 7 days;D ;D , in a blue hornet with grey and black stripes (towed by a grey Hilux). If you see us come over for a yarn.

To anchor or electric? In my experience (ie not very much!) I would say it depends on the weather a bit. When you are trying to fish an area with a good breeze behind you the leccy is useless, however if its glassed out......It has only happened to me once at the big A..... then I prefer the electric.

As I said, this is my experience only- there are plenty of more knowledgeable Awoonga fishers on this site, hopefully they might give you some better insight ;)

Mick

Steve B
29-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Mossie,

Here at Monduran we are blessed with many many trees so I tend to tie up at times....and electric at times. More recently, compared to previous years, I have tended to electric more than tieing up. but I have had good results either way this year.

If its a point that has the desired structure,depths, temps, currents and or I have a good feeling about it, I will definatly tie up to a tree and give it a good flogging.

benefits for tie up; work an area thoroughly
accurate and consistant casting (particurly if a bit windy)
you can really concentrate on perfect retrieves, its much easier slow retrieving when your not trying to manoever the boat in wind etc.
less noise, you can turn off sounders etc, no electric motor.
Downside: hookups - un hooking the boat. I have added a thing called a jam cleat to the bow of the boat. essentially you tie to the tree, then jam the rope in this cleat and it has teeth that grip rope....when you hook up a fish simply lift the rope out and your free. (the rope stays attached to the tree)
Downside of anchoring is similar -anchor rope can create havoc landing fish. and If your too noisy dropping pick then you run risk of spooking fish too.

I also fish (more and more recently too) under electric. particularly still days or working new areas helping to create an mental mud map of the layout under water in a broader area, looking for water temp differences etc.. Obviously benefits are covering more ground. downsides are noise from motors and water slapping boat if windy. I fill my livewell up before fishing. For my boat, it tends to keep electric motor further in water avoiding prop cavitation. (added weight at bow) and reduces hollow slapping noises on aluminium for some reason. This is specific to my boat though which is quite high in the front end....skeeter boys dont have to worry about this!!

I personally find my casting and retieving less refined when operating electric motor, I had a tendancy to rush retrieves....although its something I have been working on improving recently.

hope this is of some help....Just the way I work. cheers Steve

BR65
29-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Agree with you Steve about the rushed retrieves on the leccy, especially when fishing the jungle, your allways looking for the next line to cast down, rather than working the ground thats in front of you properly.
If a spot looks fishy, tie off and give it a go, many is the time its taken a bit of casting practice down the same line before curiousity killed the cat and a barra siddled over for a look at all the commotion.

slickrig
29-09-2008, 07:22 PM
hey mossie,
Chewy and i hadn't ever tied up until a couple of weeks ago when we went to mondy with roo and kim. We have always caught plenty of fish and we just work the bank and if there are many good sets of trees we keep working the same bank and than we turn around and work it for long long time. Chewy finds the point fishing and i love it so i convinced him to tie to a tree and he got a pb but i think if there are points that have a strong wind i would fish the points but if its only a light brease i would look for laying down trees and wort them really hard

Cheers Slick

Mossie1
02-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks for your comments gents, good food for thought.

Mossie

Barraboy7
02-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Anchoring and Working abay or point well allows you to wake up, annoy, pester and trigger them to bite. I dont understand why but it seems they will sit and watch it for 10 casts or more than suddenly slam it. Our first charter with JM taught us that.
If you motor along casting, its basically a one cast chance on his area and then youve moved on. Especially during the day when fishing is slower.
Something to think about
Hope you nail some Mossie, thers nothing like catching these barras!
Barraboy

rc@hinze
02-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Hey Mossie, one thing I have learnt about tieing up is to tie as high as you can up the tree so if the fish runs around the boat it is easy to feed your rod under the rope. Steve's idea of a jam cleat is a good one. All the best- Richard

eotbmg
02-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Hey Mossie, one thing I have learnt about tieing up is to tie as high as you can up the tree so if the fish runs around the boat it is easy to feed your rod under the rope. Steve's idea of a jam cleat is a good one. All the best- Richard

Great thinking Richard

waggy
04-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Hi Guys,
Just thought I'd add a few thoughts on the subject that may help. I use a heavy weight tied directly onto a bit of rope. The absence of chain prevents the noise while the absence of an anchor stops the risk of getting it stuck or dredging up a pile of weed every lift. It won't hold in a gale, but it keeps me in position in most circumstances & is easily lifted in a hurry. Regards, Ray

Sniper
04-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Guys, when anchoring, what sort of anchor does everyone use and do you use chain? I use a standard sand/mud anchor with chain, but thinking the chain would make noise under water when its rough up top.
What are your thoughts?
Cheers
Bill

TinarooTriumph
04-10-2008, 08:34 PM
G'day Bill.

Mate I use a very long length of relatively thin Dynamic Rope, which I have tied directly to part of an old bench vise (would you believe!). It is the sliding shaft part of the Vise I have used, and it can not hook up on anything, yet it will dig into timber/rock etc and not give way. It is rather weighty, but holds very well. Benefits are that it holds, there is no chain/shackles etc to make any noise what so ever, however you must lower it down slowly into the depths so it doesn't send fish scattering a mile. The Rope has an element of give in it too, unlike Static/Waxed rope. One thing I have also done to the rope is tied a heap of Alpine Butterfly loops into the Rope so I can just sling it around the Cross on the top of my Anchor Shelf. Saves me messing about tieing up everytime... just sling it over and pick up your Rod to fish. To do this effectively and properly you do need a good amount of Rope though. Another thing I have also done is tied a milk bottle to the other end of the rope, incase I have to move quickly to give chase to fish etc. I can just chuck it rest of the Rope overboard and rescue it later.

Hope this helps.

Theo.

NAGG
04-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Guys, when anchoring, what sort of anchor does everyone use and do you use chain? I use a standard sand/mud anchor with chain, but thinking the chain would make noise under water when its rough up top.
What are your thoughts?
Cheers
Bill

I'm still using a sand anchor & 5 M of chain ........ but i really shouldn't :( I do compensate by sitting back on 30M of rope & now I have 50M

I have also made up a 15kg lump of concrete ........ but I reckon it would be a bugger to lift ........ Gunna try it at Awoonga next month!

Chris

MeePee_99
05-10-2008, 07:09 AM
Yer if you did listen underwater you would realise that the electrics are about 1000 times Quieter that the combustion motor and allow you to postion the boat 1000 times easiler and better than the combustion motor.

vet
08-10-2008, 03:38 PM
I cannot catch fish from a moving boat because it is difficult to get your retrieve right every time, especially when doing slow retrieves or working hard bodies with long pauses. This dictates whether I anchor or use the electric, if the conditions allow me to keep the boat stationary with the electric than I use it but if they aren't then I anchor.

Advantages to anchoring: you can put reteated casts into area to eventually create interest, easily allows you to try multiple different lure types and retrieve styles in the same area to find out what is working on that day, better control and consistency in retrieves, allows the fish to settle down from the noise you made when you came in, if you are in the right spot you can catch multiple fish quickly.
disadvantages to anchoring: if you're not in the right spot, you won't catch many fish, so you need to be confident about the area you are in, don't find new ground.
advantages of moving by electric: cover more ground so new discoveries can be made, allows mental mapping of the area you are fishing, hopefully present your lure to more fish in the hope of finding one in the mood.
disadvantages of electric: boat noise and electric noise will scare fish, usually only get one cast into an area so fish have to be in the mood to bite, only allows 1 lure and presentation type as you have moved on too quickly to try multiple, so you may not discover what lure will work today.

In conclusion, the method I use depends on the weather and what you are trying to get out of the fishing trip. If I just want to catch a bag of fish than anchoring up in area that has previously been productive and working it over is my preferred method, whereas if I am wanting to find new areas than I choose a calm day and electric along.

hope this is easy to understand, scott.