PDA

View Full Version : Smoke from Offshore Caloundra area

Angla
28-09-2008, 07:58 PM
I was travelling from scarborough to comboyuro today and noticed smoke from Cal 5 mile direction.

Does anyone know what it was from? I noticed once I got towards the smoke that there was a plastic burning smell in the air.

It was a long distance away so I decided it was not necessary for a investigation due to other boats being visibly much closer to the event.

Chris

Mr__Bean
28-09-2008, 08:55 PM
News report here, boat gone and 3 saved.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24415081-29277,00.html

- Darren

Angla
28-09-2008, 11:40 PM
Thanks for that Darren. That's the one we saw. Looks like I should have investigated to see where the new reef is. Terrible luck to the skipper though.

Chris

PADDLES
29-09-2008, 07:29 AM
you could smell it in the middle of the bay yesterday late morning. it made me stop the boat and check all my electrics/wiring before i realised what it was.

Blackened
29-09-2008, 07:44 AM
G'day

I'm glad all is well, and realize it's journalism.............. but since when was a "fishing trawler" a luxury vessel?

Dave

Jeremy
29-09-2008, 08:43 AM
anyone got the marks?

Jeremy

PADDLES
29-09-2008, 09:13 AM
you're a bad man jeremy, but i like that train of thought.

dave, we heard on the vhf yesterday morning that it was a 38 foot cruiser.

lethal098
29-09-2008, 10:28 AM
we heard the same thing, when we got back to the ramp about 1030 coastguard were just pullling up with the people off it and channel 10 had camera and reporter but didnt see the news last night. not something you really want to have to do is jump off in the middle of the ocean, hope they all are well. cheers lethal

uripper
30-09-2008, 06:37 AM
We saw the smoke from hutchies - thought it was a fire on Bribie.
On way home this is what we found - a real tragedy - all on board safe though.
Can supply approx position if you PM me, but she may have drifted a fair way after this before going down.
Mal

Hornet Rider
30-09-2008, 09:24 AM
uripper - that's a quality pic of the fire fighting action. Glad no one from the cruiser or from the rescue teams were injured. Looks like your boys had something for show & tell yesterday. :o

General question - is that the Bribie Is VMR baot with Qld firefighters onboard?

oldboot
30-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Just as amatter of interest.

How may boats would have plumbed in fire extinguisher systems like you would find on race cars.

If there was a system with a trigger button on the topsides, you could hit the button and it would flood the bilge with foam or CO2.

Considering the price and the ease with which these boat seem to go up once they start.... I am surprised that it isn't a common thing.

cheers

Hornet Rider
30-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Just as amatter of interest.

How may boats would have plumbed in fire extinguisher systems like you would find on race cars.

If there was a system with a trigger button on the topsides, you could hit the button and it would flood the bilge with foam or CO2.

Considering the price and the ease with which these boat seem to go up once they start.... I am surprised that it isn't a common thing.

cheers

oldboot - just like boats & motor options, lots of products - here's just one example, http://www.nmsc.gov.au/product_detail.asp?index=158
http://www.pyrogen.com/marine06.htm
http://www.pyrogen.com/marine09.htm
http://www.pyrogen.com/GensetLocal1sMTC.jpg

http://www.pyrogen.com/marine01.htm
http://www.pyrogen.com/

PADDLES
30-09-2008, 12:27 PM
you wouldn't want a gas system on a boat oldboot. foam should work though.

oldboot
30-09-2008, 02:14 PM
I thik you will find on may large military vessels there are gass systems employed.

Like anything... there have to be safety procedures and interlocks.

CO2 realy only presents 1 risk.........if you have a bilge filled with explosive fumes, pumping it full of CO2 is possibly the best and safest option.

If you have a fire downstairs, A bit of clean CO2 is the least of your problems

The good thing about CO2 is that it is clean and damages very little.

In a boat something as insignificant as a carby fire can get very dangerous very quickly.
I good solid chuff of CO2 and the danger is averted...... vebtilate the bilge and the liklihood of motoring home is pretty good.

fill the bilge with foam and you have a big clean up job and lots of things wont be working

foam would be no less dangerous....

That said...foam is probaly the most practical.

cheers

PADDLES
01-10-2008, 10:12 AM
the issue is leakage or a fault in the system letting gas out without you knowing. foam you can see, CO2 you cannot and it will kill you and anyone who comes to your aid quicker than you can even think. do a bit of research on confined spaces and see how many multiple deaths have been attributed to gas inundation, what happens is guy 1 goes into the hole and drops then guy 2 goes in to help, he drops, guy 3 goes in to help and dies as well. most business' don't even specify gas (halon or CO2) in a switchroom these days because of the danger and a switchroom can generally be easily emptied of the gas (ie. open the door and out it comes). a boat by design is a big dish with hopefully no holes in the bottom, these gases sink and there'd be no way of them escaping. a gas detection system would help out but as we are taught in safety, removing the unsafe material is way better than trying to manage it. gimme a racecar style fire bomb any day i reckon. good question though, i wonder why more of the big boats don't have it. for example in this situation the boat would have been worth heaps and a fire bomb not much money at all by comparison.

oldboot
01-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Even a simple thing like a few sprinklers run off a deck wash down pump would be better than nothing....... and cheap and easy enough to do.

boats especilay fibregalss and timber ones just burn so well........surely you'd want to have some "substantial" fire fighting capacity.

and there has to be one of two causes...... electrical or motor........so the high risk locations are easy enough to determine

Can you make foam with salt water?
If so there isn't much you clouln't knock down with some very simple gear.

cheers

PADDLES
01-10-2008, 06:42 PM
agreed, you'd think there'd be something pretty simple that could be set up

sleepygreg
02-10-2008, 03:30 PM
I have heard that one of the turbos blew and caught fire.

oldboot
02-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Yeh well that would do it........
If it was a car you might have some melted wiring and a the paint burnt off the bonnet........(remember the starion turbo they were good for that).... in a fibregalss boat it burns to the waterline in minutes.

How much good could you do with a standard stored preasure foam extinguisher plumbed in with one nozzle pointing at the inlet manafold.

it could be so simple

As long as a vehicle is properly wired and correctly fused......... the single most likly seat of fire is the inlet manafold............unless there is a gas stove

cheers

PinHead
02-10-2008, 05:26 PM
many boats have a firebuoy system as standard..I know my last one did.

PADDLES
02-10-2008, 08:04 PM
what's a firebuoy system ph?

PinHead
02-10-2008, 08:36 PM
large fire extinguisher with a head (similar to a sprinkler head) on it..fire hits the head..lets out the contents of the cylinder in the engine bay

PADDLES
03-10-2008, 07:37 AM
aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh, sounds like a great idea for big boats

oldboot
03-10-2008, 05:29 PM
For those who were asking where the wreck is....( for safety reasons).;)
Check out notice to mariners 653.
Who says the harbourmaster isnt a fishermans friend;D

1NM south of the NW12 beacon, in 10 meters of water.

All the details are there.......so be carefull you might get snagged on something if you arent carefull;)

It truly is an ill wind that blows no good.

cheers