PDA

View Full Version : Outboard service, kratzmanns or northside marine?

TheRealAndy
27-09-2008, 11:40 PM
My 50hp yammie 4 stroke is due for a service. Given that kratzmanns are now a yamaha shop, I am tempted to take it there. But Northside Marine is about 5 minutes from me, so they are easier to get to. Northside used to do yammies, I bought one from them years ago, but now honda and merc only. So who do I use?

Mindi
28-09-2008, 07:25 AM
My 50hp yammie 4 stroke is due for a service. Given that kratzmanns are now a yamaha shop, I am tempted to take it there. But Northside Marine is about 5 minutes from me, so they are easier to get to. Northside used to do yammies, I bought one from them years ago, but now honda and merc only. So who do I use?

If you dont need to drop the bottom of the leg to change the impeller...then why not do it yourself ..replace the plugs, replace the fuel filter, replace the sump oil, replace the gearcase oil...get really fancy and buy a little gearcase oil hand pump which screws in for about $50 and do it over your best tablecloth..!...if it's running well then leave the rest of it alone..if it's pumping water hard then the impeller is fine. IMHO putting a sweet running motor into a workshop is introducing about a 50% chance of it coming out with a problem, but I know many people see it very differently. I only go when it has a problem.

marty+jojo
28-09-2008, 07:58 AM
If you dont need to drop the bottom of the leg to change the impeller...then why not do it yourself ..replace the plugs, replace the fuel filter, replace the sump oil, replace the gearcase oil...get really fancy and buy a little gearcase oil hand pump which screws in for about $50 and do it over your best tablecloth..!...if it's running well then leave the rest of it alone..if it's pumping water hard then the impeller is fine. IMHO putting a sweet running motor into a workshop is introducing about a 50% chance of it coming out with a problem, but I know many people see it very differently. I only go when it has a problem.

The above is very bad advice IMO, is the motor under warranty? Do the valves need adjusting? I would take it to Kratzmans as i have herd good reports about them.
Marty.

TheRealAndy
28-09-2008, 11:54 AM
I am too lazy to do it myself anyway! Its not under warentee.

cobiaman
28-09-2008, 01:00 PM
is there nay particular oil or sparks you need to get?

Mindi
28-09-2008, 05:34 PM
sure....I just try to economise by not paying someone else $100/hr to change filters, grease nipples, and change oil and plugs. Realise that doing it self is not everyone's cup of tea. I would be just as happy to never need to do anything myself and just pay someone to do it.....!

Mindi
28-09-2008, 05:35 PM
is there nay particular oil or sparks you need to get?

yep...always the ones specified in the manual...or the ones you take out or equivalent ...certainly get the right spark plugs and probably any good quality outboard gear oil, and take the under cover filter cartridge with you to a filter place or boat shop.

joe 09
28-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Andy

give wade a call you wont be disappointed on 0437733056 i have been really happy with him and the advice he gave me.

If you tell him joe sent you the price will go up by about $50 LOL.

Joe