PDA

View Full Version : First boat: What do I need/want?

Damned67
27-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Hi All,
Just returned from my RMDL course, so now I'm hunting for a boat. Problem is, I'm not sure exactly what I want/need, so I'm looking for suggestions.

Basically, it'll be a fishing boat. Mostly the local rivers/creeks and nearby, but really want to be able to run out to Mud Is on a nice day.

So, to run out to Mud and the like, I don't want to go too small. Yet, my current 'towing' car is gutless. Last weekend it had no issues towing a 8x4 cage trailer (big heavy hire one) with over 250kg of rubbish in it. However, that's not pulling it out of the water.

I'd love a 4.2ish glass boat, but doubt that the 1.6L Toyota powerhouse would get it up the ramp (maybe I'm wrong?). So, I'm guessing that I'm looking for a 'tinnie'.

I guess the big question is, after all that waffle, is what is the smallest boat you'd feel comfortable running out to Mud Is in?

Cheers!

MeePee_99
27-09-2008, 06:33 PM
I took my 400 hornet trophy through the bar and out to coffee and brays rock with ease out from caloundra. But it handles very very well in swell/chop. So it wouldnt be too big.

Kleyny
27-09-2008, 08:22 PM
when i first got my 4.6 tinnie (weight is spot on 750kgs) my wife Hyundai lantra wagon towed it no dramas. a few more revs at the ramp was required but it seemed to do it ok.
IMO a 4.2ish glass boat would weigh close to the 750 as well.

personally i would run with say a 4.2 tinnie of some kind.

neil

Luc
27-09-2008, 09:24 PM
SeaJay 4.2 or 4.4 Magnum with a 40/4stoke.

Luc

bbayjohn
27-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Test as many boats as you can. Most boat yards have open days. Maybe some locals could take you out. If u see a boat for sale, ask for a test run. Each person is different in there requirements. For me I couldnt go past a pollycraft, with the smooth ride.

CreelReaper
27-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Mate, it will depend on a few things first. How much are you willing to spend?? Do you want new or are you happy going second hand for your first boat? What creature comforts do you want in a boat?? What is the towing capacity of the little car although I don't think that would be a problem.
I would say that anything from 3.5m upwards will get you to where you want to go on a reasonable day. Make sure it is a vnose, has heaps of free board/depth and the outboard is suitably sized for your rig. Have a look at a few boat yards, do some exploring on the net on what each make model offers and go from there.
At the very least if you look at a boat and it feels good then explore further. If you feel uneasy then be wary. Take your time with it and make it a project, learn as much as you need to but also remember that very few boaties get it right the first time. You may want to start small (lower price 2nd hand) and build up from there as your experience and confidence grows.

Shane
ps I own a 4.0m Bluefin Outlaw with a 30hp Yammie and it does the whole of the bay on a reasonable day.

dogsbody
28-09-2008, 10:41 AM
I got a 4.2 tinnie Blue Fin 3mm bottom 2mm sides very strong and very capable getting to Mud in good-maybe conditions. 30hp minimum, 40hp would be better if fishing more than 2 up with gear.

Dave.

Damned67
29-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Mate, it will depend on a few things first. How much are you willing to spend?? Do you want new or are you happy going second hand for your first boat? What creature comforts do you want in a boat??

Definitely going (cheap) used. That's part of the deal with the Wife.
Basically, just looking for a cheap, reliable vessel that'll get us to where we want to go. Obviously, the smaller the better (for price, towing, availability etc), as long as I can get out around Mud etc on a reasonable. A 12ft would suit us well for many reasons, but would it get us out comfortably on an OK day?
What about 13ft? or do I really need to step up to a 14ft?

foxx510
29-09-2008, 01:26 PM
I reckon you need a deepish hulled 4.1m minimum to go any distance from shore safely.

wiz
29-09-2008, 02:00 PM
I tend to agree the bay may start out good but sometimes the run home can get a bit bumpy, if you are only fairly new to boating it is better to have something that allows for this. I think most tinnies of about 4m from 90 onwards had good beam and freeboard. At least a 30hp. This sort of setup would be a good starter especially if you intend to use it in the bay, and not just creeks and river

Crocodile
29-09-2008, 03:28 PM
You may need to find out what the towing capacity of the Toyota is, most small cars only tow about 450kgs.
A 4.3m tinnie could weigh more than that when loaded.

oldboot
29-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Not that I'm any expert but.... you need to be 14 foot if you want to go very far at all.......14 foot and 30HP... is a common package.

Best bet is to take a folding chair down to your favorite boat ramp on a weekend and sit there for a while and take note of what comes and goes.

cheers

wilcara
29-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Without any knowledge of your local waters whatsoever, my guess would be that something around 4.2 in a second hand tinny with forward controld might be the go. Seajay was mentioned above, also the Quintrex in breezabout or fishabout or estuary angler... there's heaps. There are many older ones that have been repowered if you have a look around.

Anywhere between 20-40 horses. 20 will be adequate to fish with with two persons but 40 will provide that extra wind in your hair.

I'm not sure that extra power is justified for when "things get ugly" as many people say. When things really are "ugly" speed ain't going to help you in a little critter like that: but some good solid seamanship will. Actually a big motor weighing down the back of a small boat may not help at all.

Damned67
29-09-2008, 05:22 PM
You may need to find out what the towing capacity of the Toyota is, most small cars only tow about 450kgs.
A 4.3m tinnie could weigh more than that when loaded.

Towing Braked (kg)850 Towing Not Braked (kg)400
Looks like it would be pretty borderline.

Is there a site which gives approx weights of specific hulls?

foxx510
29-09-2008, 06:02 PM
A Seajay 4.2 bare is 152kg. A Yamaha 30 2cyl is 55kg. Trailer ~ 250kg. Fuel ~25kg. Plus ~ 25 kg of fishing crap. Most likely you will be over your limit.

Mindi
29-09-2008, 06:24 PM
I dont know your waters but suggest that 14ft good place to be if it gets at all choppy, and 30-40hp depending on what you find. Good suggestion above about park at the ramp and talk to owners of boats that catch your eye. Dont go too small...I dont really think you have a towing issue with anything up to a 15ft tinnie.

fish-n-dive
29-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Do yourself a favour and look at a Quintrex 4.2 Wide Body Dory with a 40hp on the back..........a 2nd hand one will cost roughly $7000.00 and be worth every cent. Big tinny with high sides, flat floor and you can find them already fitted with lots of options.........JMO..........;)

Chamelion
29-09-2008, 07:15 PM
It all depends on your budget.. I'm shopping between the 5k and 8k mark at the moment, but I (read: The mrs) wants forward control.

What about something like this? - http://noosaboatsales.com.au/ed.html?de=32520&cat=sml

EDIT: For you I mean, it's not what I'm after. :P

oldboot
29-09-2008, 09:46 PM
I don't know... if you are carefull what you buy.... and dont put too much extra weight in the boat you might get away with it.

you may have to downgrade to a 12' and a 15HP.......you'll just have to be more carefull where you go and when.

A decent 12 fotter will still get you lots of places

you may have to drive to a closer or beter on the day ramp

OR upgrade the tow vehicle;D

cheers

wilcara
29-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Braked trailer and you are doing it easy with 300kg to spare nearly on a estuary angler 420 and 30 2stroke. I think the weight is the least of your problems.

oldboot
29-09-2008, 10:34 PM
adding brakes to such a small boat trailer package may be a bit of a problem.

Even getting overriding brakes on such a small trailer would be a special order and would add considerable cost to the exercise.

It might be worthwile factoring a cheapy tow vehicle into the equasion..... that way you have a tow vehicle you don't mind leaving at the ramp.

2 litre corrona had a great towing capacity and $1000 will buy you a decent one.

cheers

Damned67
30-09-2008, 12:55 PM
The towing issue is somewhat simple to resolve. The wifes 626, with a towing capacity of 920kg, will just need a hitch. Of course, I'm selling the perfect tow vehicle. Well, perfect outside of a 4wd. A VR Commodore wagon, with electric brake set-up. Why am I selling it? To buy a boat. Wife says that if I want a boat, then one of of the four cars needs to go. The Toyota stays over the VR as I commute to the Gold Coast every day, and if I ran the Commodore, the fuel cost would kill me.

The next issue regarding boat size, is the trailer. We have a very steep driveway, and if the trailer axle/wheels are too far from the hitch, it'll likely not make over the top of the driveway. Is there a 'tool' to temporarily raise the tow ball/hitch for such occasions? Not something to tow to the ramp and back with, just to get over the top of the driveway?

Cheers

oldboot
30-09-2008, 02:18 PM
The simpleset is bigger wheels......... or....... just let it scrape;D

If is realy a problem..... fit the jocky wheel and winch it in.

cheers

Chamelion
02-10-2008, 01:48 AM
You can't beat a $2000 ED-EL Falcon on LPG as a cheap tow vehicle... I've got my AU3 wagon, which tows fantastically. I do about 350km per week to $38 on LPG, just can't beat it in todays fuel climate. Earlier falcons tow just about the same for just about the same economy.

Matt.

Ostheman
06-10-2008, 01:01 PM
I took my 400 hornet trophy through the bar and out to coffee and brays rock with ease out from caloundra. But it handles very very well in swell/chop. So it wouldnt be too big.

Any chance for some pics of your tinny mate, i m about to buy a hornet 400 and just wanted to see how u deck it out?

Thx