PDA

View Full Version : What would you do; pocket the $1,000?

NormC
26-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Went in to order my new outboard today. A Mercury 30 HP 4 stroke.
When the dealer rang the importer to see if there was one in stock, he was told I have a choice.

A 2006 build, or a 2008 build. Both identical and both come with the same new motor warranty.

Price difference (after some negotiation) is $1,000. $5,200 v $4,200.

Dealer says there is no problem with the 2006 build motor sitting in the warehouse for 2 years. Once it has predelivery service it will give identical performance to the 2008 build.

Is he right? Are there any risks taking the 2006 build motor and keeping the $1,000?

Yes, there is the resale value issue, but I expect to have this motor for many years.

Anyone out there with real knowledge of the effect of an outboard sitting this long? I'd like to save the $1,000. But don't want to take risks on performance or reliability to do it.

Norm C

wiz
26-09-2008, 02:13 PM
IMO it is a blessing in disguise there should be no difference between a 2006 and 2008 if it is brand new from the box. I have bought old stock before and saved good dollars with no problems. When I have sold the motor I just showed the prospective buyer the DOP.

Cheers

Noelm
26-09-2008, 02:15 PM
I would think that sitting for a brand new Engine would mean bugger all, it is not as though it has got salt and dried up fuel or corrosion to contend with, so, except for resale (as you mentioned) a thousand bucks is a pretty good saving, I bought a 97 Motor in 2000 and it is perfect, and the same as you, not intending on selling soon, so resale is not an issue for me either.

disorderly
26-09-2008, 02:31 PM
As long as there is no doubt about it being a brand spanking new motor,then I'd take the '06 motor and spend the extra grand on something else.

Scott nthQld
26-09-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm with everyone else, as long as it is as they say, 'a brand new motor' then there should be no issues at all, you still get the full warranty, and if the specs for the 2006 and 2008 are exactly the same, do yourself a favour and pocket the $1000.

If you plan on keeping it for a number of years, then resale won't be an issue, 10+ years down the track there might be a couple of hundred bucks difference between the '06 and '08, but even then, you'd still be out in front after many years use out of it.

backlash08
26-09-2008, 03:27 PM
take the 1000

tunaticer
26-09-2008, 03:28 PM
As long as there are no issues with the old motor's running I can see no problem with buying the older motor. If by chance that particular motor did have a faulty pump, seal, ignition or anything else make sure it is upgraded prior to the sale so it does not become a warrantee claim in the future.

Easiest $1000 you will ever earn.

Jack.

foxx510
26-09-2008, 03:28 PM
From a paranoid point of view, why has the motor been sitting in the warehouse for so long? I'm not saying there isn't a legit reason, just asking the question....

fish-n-dive
26-09-2008, 04:11 PM
well, it looks like the negatives are starting to surface...........

I find it hard to believe that the technology hasn't changed from 2006 - 2008 (nearly 2009 now)

If it is EXACTLY the same motor then maybe but...... the word here is caution....

JMHO ;)

NormC
26-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Just rang the dealer back. The way he tells it, Mercury imports into Australia on the basis of anticipated future sales. On some motors, they over estimate and end up with surplus stock. The motor I wanted was electric start / gas assisted tilt (electric tilt is too heavy at 85KG). Most people have been going for electric tilt, so they have a couple of the gas tilt left over from a previous batch.

I've told him that providing I get a guarantee the 2006 is identical to the 2008 build, I'll take the 2006. He says he is sure it is, but will double check to be certain.

Given what I've been spending lately, I'll keep the $1,000 in my pocket.

If it gives any trouble I'll certainly let them (and you) know.

Thanks for your input.

Norm C

foxx510
26-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Sounds fair, I'd probably be taking the 2006 as well.

jimbo59
26-09-2008, 05:37 PM
How much was it in 06 might only be saving 200 bucks, the merc guys will have problems moving it,offer $4000 cash...jim

NormC
26-09-2008, 05:48 PM
How much was it in 06 might only be saving 200 bucks, the merc guys will have problems moving it,offer $4000 cash...jim

Did that Jimoo. First offer on the '06 was $4,450. I said 'give me a price that starts with a 3 and I'm interested'. After a couple of phone calls they came back with the $4,200 counter. I asked for better, but was told no go. I therefore had to choose between the two. The price on the '06 is close to $1,200 off RRP.

Choice was buy the '06 for $4200 or the '08 for $5200 - or neither, but I had already chosen this motor and was prepared to pay the $5,200. I think both prices are reasonable for this motor.

Norm C

BrenMac
26-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Norm, I may be wrong but I thought that the current Merc 30HP EFI 4 stroke had only been around for about a year.

Wouldn't be surprised if the 06 one they are trying to move was the previous non-EFI model, which from memory looked different and was heavier. Guess you'll know when you see it!

Cheers
Brendan

Coontakinta
30-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Normc, as already mentioned if the two motors are identical after checking Brenmac's claim, then go with the 06.

I did the same thing purchasing a brand new 04 plate Tohatsu TLDI90 in NOV 05. From memory the savings you mention are similar to those that I received in buying this way.

Best advice is to confirm / dispel Brendans claim (no offence meant to you brendan) and make a decision on the information you uncover.

I have had no issue with my motor nor do I expect there to be any and I would purchase this way again given the opportunity

bluefin59
30-09-2008, 05:58 PM
I did something similar when i bought my bluefin in 04 they had an 03 60hp leftover instead of an 04 50hp and they said i could have the 60hp for the same price so i told them to chuck it on probably the best move i made i hope this helps in some way ...matt

BrenMac
30-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Normc, as already mentioned if the two motors are identical after checking Brenmac's claim, then go with the 06.

I did the same thing purchasing a brand new 04 plate Tohatsu TLDI90 in NOV 05. From memory the savings you mention are similar to those that I received in buying this way.

Best advice is to confirm / dispel Brendans claim (no offence meant to you brendan) and make a decision on the information you uncover.

I have had no issue with my motor nor do I expect there to be any and I would purchase this way again given the opportunity

None taken mate! Looks like the 06 motor may well be a current model as I have found a couple of old press releases from late 05 on the 25-30 4 stroke EFI. If so, $1k is a worthwhile saving.

Any word yet Norm?

aussiebasser
01-10-2008, 09:14 AM
I just bought a 25 EFI Merc, similar deal. Mercury release a "specials" sheet each week with certain motors available at discount pricing. Some dealers tell you about this, some dealers don't. On the same day I got the quote from my dealer, another quoted $1041 more and didn't mention the specials. I'm still saving $300 compared to the short shaft and this one is electric start. It's costing about $150 to convert the Proline to a long shaft transom, so I'm still in front. An '06 build would probably be an '07 model here. Make sure it is the EFI model.

Coontakinta
01-10-2008, 10:12 AM
$1k is a worthwhile saving.

Sure is! Buys a heck of a lot of fuel, a considerable upgrade in electronics, or your insurance & maintenance costs for 12mths;)

NormC
01-10-2008, 12:36 PM
In late '05 / early '06 ('06 in Australia I think), Mercury changed the 25 and 30 HP 4 stroke from the one on the left to the one on the right.

I'm assured that since this change, there have been no further updates or mods. Since the release of the new motor, all produced have been identical.

I'm also assured the one I am getting is the one on the right. Even I will be smart enough to know the difference when it arrives. That, combined with the full 3+2 warranty which starts the day I collect the motor, gives me some confidence.

So, I'm hopeful everything will be fine.

Norm C

oldboot
01-10-2008, 10:24 PM
It is quite interesting this concept of "NEW".

ther is quite a lot of fast moving product that is manufactured quite close to when it is sold.
But many customers cant concieve that the product they are buying "NEW" off the shelf could be several years old.

Lots of things are batch manufactured.....so a ( for arguments sake) outboard company XYZ may only make the 14HP long shaft electric start every 6 months... they may only bring a batch in every 2 years..... the spare parts you but for your motor may be have been manufactured 8 or 10 years ago.

I know cars and stuff are a very date concious purchase...... but if the outboard in question is straight up..... I would be having very little problems sticking a $gorilla back in my pocket.

If you realy want to see some old stock....... fishing reels.
There are plent of reels " spanking new & in the box" on shelves of many stores that show up as obsolete on the manufacturers web site.

cheers