PDA

View Full Version : New boat - flooring problem.....advice please

yellahunter
25-09-2008, 09:47 PM
hey guys,

well my new boat has recently had the framework and flooring put in,
initially i was going to do it all myself but when i got a good price for welding and decking i went with it.

I took the boat out on the weekend and in the storm it got a little wet,
nothing major, just normal spray and bit of rain etc.
i noticed tonite that the decking is bowing or curling up on the edges.
is this normal and will it just flatten out over time or is it not right.....?

my initial thoughts were that its a bodge job,
when i spoke to the guys doing the job they said the decks didnt need to be sealed as that only causes problems. I was also told that quintrex and all the other tinny manufacturers dont seal either.....i was a bit funny about that but went with the experienced guys opinion,

check the pics below,

any info or advice is much appreciated

cheers,

Ben

yellahunter
25-09-2008, 09:48 PM
this all happened after its first trip on the water

garman1
25-09-2008, 11:10 PM
That doesn't look good to me......................... Don't think I would be to happy with that after 1 trip!!! I use a water blaster on my boat and the decking doesn't look like that.

Chimo
26-09-2008, 07:04 AM
Ben

Is the flooring screwed to the frame?

You do have the option of taking it back to where it was done and get them to sort it for you don't you?

Cheers
Chimo

tunaticer
26-09-2008, 07:10 AM
It sounds to me like only the visible side of the ply is sealed and the top side has shrunk for the effects of water.

Take it back and ask for it to be fixed or replaced.

My floor was never sealed and gets absolutely drenched or awash on most every trip and never warped. It is now 13 yrs old and there is about an inch of wet rot right at the very bottom end of the ply near the stern, not bad for 13 yrs of service.

Jack.

Mark-P
26-09-2008, 07:24 AM
If they had used quality marine ply that shouldn't happen !
If using normal ply sealing is a must !!!

Mark

Spaniard_King
26-09-2008, 07:33 AM
To me it looks like the aft section is not sup[ported underneath.. you can see the front section is sitting on a rib.. but the peice just to the aft of that is not.. so what is supporting this.

Looks like it was made from 2 pieces??? Ask them why :P

Kleyny
26-09-2008, 07:38 AM
making my deck i used two types of materials.
One was form ply and the other was normal ply. i used normal ply as i had run out of the form ply and refused to pay for another sheet.

out of laziness i didn't seal all of the form ply and its still going strong. i did however seal the normal ply and it also is still going strong.

one i have notest is the left over normal ply i had leaning on the wall in the shed got wet on the bottom after a big down poor and it warped similar to your deck.

its up to you what you do but i would be going back and ask for the job to be done correctly.

dreemon
26-09-2008, 12:53 PM
If it was sealed on only one side, it will cause the warping for sure, I put up a treated pine fence for a guy and even used galv screws to fix pailings to rails,

he painted one side and in a few months alot of the boards pulled through the screw heads

fish-n-dive
26-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Boats by their very nature are made to get wet.

The Quintrex WB Dory I had lived in the back yard and copped whatever mother nature (or the kids) threw at it. I can assure you that the floor never bowed in the 2 years I had the boat.

As has been said above, I'd be going back to the ones that put it in and asking for restitution.

foxx510
26-09-2008, 01:54 PM
I'd have thought you would need to seal both sides to stop warping. It's not just water from the top, but condensation from below in hot weather.

Chimo
26-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Hi Yella / Ben

By any chance after you took the floor out and put it back, did you put all the screws back in to hold it in place?

Cheers
Chimo

wiz
26-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Spaniard king is on the money, that piece is not pinned down near the brace. There needs a screw and bracket in that piece near the brace. Not many manufactures seal the under side of their floors, they might just last a bit longer. Without sealing their ply it is certain that the timber will absorb any moisture in the vacinity and cause bowing.

foxx510
26-09-2008, 03:08 PM
I assumed it was not screwed down as there would be storage underneath. Our seajay tinny has a factory ply floor that is sealed on both sides.

wilcara
26-09-2008, 03:32 PM
About 2 years ago I bought a casting deck for my Quinny through Quintrex and they would only sell me their particular aluminium one at around $600 I think (???) There was no option to get ply, sealed or otherwise because they said it warped.

I've had no issues with the one I bought, other than the temptation to put it on a chain and hang it around my neck for that price.

I only mention this in reference to your problem, which I would be spewing about if it was me. Something not right, whether it is the material, whether it was sealed or not, or how it was manyufacturered or installed, whatever it is.