View Full Version : Proof of ownership when buying a 2nd hand boat

Mike Delisser
25-09-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm sure some very experienced Ausfishers out there will know the answer.
If buying a 2nd hand boat through a private sale, is there a way of finding out if there's a covernant over the boat, like getting a Revs certificate for a car.
I wouldn't want to buy a boat and have it repossessed because the guy I bought it off still owed money on it.

25-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Hey M,

Check that the name on the registration papers is the person you are buying the boat from.

In Qld a REVS check can be done on boat and trailer.

See the office of fair trading website. Costs about $30 I think.



25-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Hey M,

I bought a secondhand boat from a guy in Newcastle and used his rego details for his boat (needs a HIN) to do a REVS check just like boatboy says you can do in QLD. Not sure about oyhers states but probably they have something similar because I think all the states have HIN so that they can reduce stealing and fraud.



25-09-2008, 01:47 PM
yep, if you go to the REVS site, there is an option for Boats as well (at least there used to be)

Mike Delisser
25-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Thanks guys,the boat is in NSW so I'll neen to check their transport dept I guess.

White Pointer
25-09-2008, 10:21 PM

The REVS system is operated by NSW Govt for the whole of Australia. For cars they have been obtaining VIN and matching engine and rego numbers for many years. Vehicle manufacturers have cooperated with the system. In addition, QLD has enhanced the system with traces on validated odo readings from service history and trading history.

Boats and trailers and boat engines are fairly recent additions to the REVS control system so you still need to be wary. Don't rely on the Hull Identification Number, check the engine number on the motor and the VIN on the trailer as well.

If in doubt, ask. Ask if the boat, engine or trailer was ever a security for debt and if so ask to see proof that the debt has been discharged. If it hasn't the current owner will produce sales invoices (including progress payment invoices and receipts) and original registration papers in their own name. If you get into an argument over this or proof can't be produced ... walk, quickly.

If proofs are provided write these into the "Contract of sale". There must be a "Contract of sale". If the person you are buying from lies in the Contract of sale you can can sue them for the price, your costs and damages ... but it doesn't mean you will get a cent.

The ultimate failure is finding out that the seller was an undischarged bankrupt and was not allowed (by law) to make a contract without creditors/liquidators/court approval.

Caveat emptor (Buyer beware)

White Pointer