PDA

View Full Version : Props

curiser
25-09-2008, 11:53 AM
I have a Alum 14.5x19p prop and am thinking of getting a Solas HR4 Torquemaster 4 blade, I do a lot of off sure runs and am not sure if the $850 would be worth sending as I not sure if it would make a lot of differance any thoughts

Spaniard_King
25-09-2008, 01:18 PM
What engine do you have and what sort of max RPM are you getting??

This will help us to give you a response.

It takes a lot more HP than people realise to spin a 4 blade prop above 4000 rpm

curiser
25-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Garry
Its a mercruiser stern drive 135hp 3.0L and its max RPM is 4900

BM
25-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Curiser,

Buy yourself a Merc prop rather than a Solas. Merc manufacture the best props in the world.

Cheers

curiser
26-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Thanks BM,
Do you think a 4 blade would be better or should I get a ss 3 blade.

BM
26-09-2008, 08:07 AM
4 blade will give you better midrange hold so you should see a more efficient cruise. But, it may also load up the engine a bit too much.

The best thing to do is put a call into Mercury in Melbourne and speak to one of their technical guys. They will work out for you the best prop for your application.

You could also contact a Merc dealer but that will be hit and miss. Some will know plenty, others will know very little.

cheers

curiser
26-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Thanks BM I'll call them

propdinger
26-09-2008, 04:42 PM
curiser
why not try a solas prop Steve lets you try them out with a gaurantee that they work. i have bought a few from solas and even took the boat up there and tried a few different props to see which suited best worth a thought. was up there 2 weeks ago getting a prop for a mate he has a merc 4 stroke 60hp which now planes and cruises much better with the new prop (matched to the hull)

Wahoo
26-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Thanks BM I'll call them

curiser
if you go to your local Merc dealer, they will keep swapping the prop until they get it right and your happy with it

Daz

Poodroo
26-09-2008, 06:36 PM
curiser
if you go to your local Merc dealer, they will keep swapping the prop until they get it right and your happy with it

Daz

Yup. Solas offer that same deal. How do I know? Because I just purchased a Solas prop. Great guys who know their stuff and are willing to bend over backwards to keep you happy. Water tested it for the first time last Sunday and I am happy to say that there will be no need to swap anything over until I am happy. They got it right the first time. My brother also is happy with his Solas prop. ;)

Poodroo

curiser
29-09-2008, 07:22 AM
thanks guys will phone both of them

snatchy
02-10-2008, 09:59 AM
We went from a 14.5 19p alloy 3 blade to a 14.5 19p 4 blade stainless mercury vensura behind a v6 sterndrive. it is correctly propped at 4700rpm WOT (specs state 4400 to 4800)

we just do long runs offshore (35nm to the grounds) and it has made a S**load of difference. lower planing speed for the rough conditions. much better acceleration - which is needed when you back off for a big wave, then on the throttles to get straight back onto the plane. I suggest going to the trouble of sorting out your prop to suit your needs - i am sure solas or mercury will help you. For us it has made the boat much easier to drive and generally better offshore and was well worth the trouble.

if the price of new SS props scares you, i would suggest looking on that well known internet auction site to see what comes up at much cheaper price than new. it might take a few months to get the exact size/pitch etc you want, but will save you a few hundred $ - but for this you need to know what prop your boat needs. we bought our prop for half the new price of $1200, and its condition was as new.

curiser
02-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Thank you snatchy you have been very helpful