PDA

View Full Version : Townsville fishos

reel screamer
25-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Hey all

Joined this forum awhile ago.....but have not had the time to chat......too busy with move from South Africa to Townsville. Since arriving here have managed to catch some good fish in Townsville (got my first Barra the other night 80cm- very chuffed). Now that we are settling in a little would really like to meet up with some other Townsville fishos.

I am off to Cairns tomorrow (Friday) but will probably be back Monday or Tuesday and if anyone is keen for a fish please let me know as I am on leave until the following Monday. The tides are getting rather large in the morning next week alternatively if anyone is up for exploring some freshwater flyfishing or soft plastic options that would be good as well.::) Just keen to get out and meet some like minded people and learn more about the wonderful area.

Regards
RS

Fisher4life
25-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Welcome RS to Ausfish and townsville...

Mate you'v done well to get a barra so quickly, i know it took me around 8 months before i got my first. did you get it from the fresh water?

Keep an eye out in the going fishing section in the forum, quite often there are guys from up here organising trips out and about.

Cheers
Josh

reel screamer
25-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Hey fisher4life

Truth be told I have been here since Jan but been very busy with work and family etc. Got the Barra off the rock wall on lure at night.

What do you know about the Ross creek above the bridge by the boats? Thought about going and tossing some plastics there later on the incoming tide. Went to visit a mate in the flats overlooking the water and was amazad at the fish life in there. Maybe get on to the old railway bridge and cast off there.

Any thoughts?

I will keep my eyes on the going fishing section thanks

Regards
Dave

Fisher4life
25-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Yeah Dave the amount of fish activity in that section of the river is unreal at times, when i first moved to towsnville i stayed with a friend in the mint apartments overlooking the river. I would quite often see queenies and a few barra around the bridge and smashing schools of mullet. In 2 weeks of watching it with lures and plastics in hand, i never got a touch.

The ppl we were staying with would always sit on his balcony laughing at me continually casting into the creek telling me the fish are too well fed to eat any of my imitations.

Incoming tide and the first of the run out seem to be more active times in the creek.

Good luck

reel screamer
25-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Thanks Josh,

I am going to give it a bash this arvo. Good to explore even if the fish are being difficult- That is my story and I am sticking to it:D

Later
Dave

STUIE63
26-09-2008, 07:22 AM
just up from ther is the causeway I have caught quite a few barra flicking HB lures from road height they normally sit on the down tide side at the end of the run if you know what I meam
Stuie

reel screamer
26-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Hey guys

Went down yesterday and saw plenty of chases but no cigar! Got one pull on a mackeral pogy but that was it. Stuie do you mean inland or towards the sea? Still very new to Townsville so a lot of the landmarks are a mystery.

I started on the side of the bridge throwing towards the railway bridge.....I then moved over to the other side of the bridge and walked and cast for a bit.....lots of mullet around but no action.

I still think this is a good spot it just looks so fishy! Now gotta to work on cracking the code:-/ Probably need to spend a lot more time down there.

What do you think?

Later
Dave

STUIE63
26-09-2008, 12:14 PM
inland I think on Boundary street between the civic theatre and the Charters Towers road intersection sorry Dave there used to be a pub there called the causeway got knocked down around 2-3 years ago
Stuie

STUIE63
26-09-2008, 12:21 PM
approximately Q 17 on map 6 in the phone book
Stuie

Mozza
27-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Dave,

Welcome to 'ville, yes, very keen for a catch up. I'm more than happy to show you a few spots. pm your phone no.

Cheers
Mozza