PDA

View Full Version : Power v Manual Trim and Tilt

NormC
25-09-2008, 09:13 AM
This has come up on another thread where I have asked about the best motor for my needs. Thought I'd start a fresh thread on this specific question.

I'm upgrading to a bigger roof topper. Boat will be Sea Jay Angler 3.95. Looking to put a 30 HP, probably 4 stroke on it. Top of the current short list is the Mercury 30 EFI.

I've only previously had power trim and tilt on a much bigger boat. All my small tinnies have had manual.

We often fish in places where there is a chance of hitting a stump or log - The Gulf rivers in Qld and NT for example. I have been working on the theory that using a manual tilt motor in the unlock position gives the least risk of damage if I hit something. For my new motor I was going to get gas assisted manual tilt for this reason.

A couple of forum posters here on Ausfish have raised the issue that with power tilt, I'm more able and likely to trim the motor up when in shallow water or in an area where there might be obstacles. True - though I have hit a log when I was in 3 m of what I thought was clear water.

I spoke to a salesman today. He said that there is no difference. The power tilt motor is not 'locked down' and if I hit something it will jump up over it. That's not what I understood, but I'm far from an expert.

The question is - am I jumping at shadows? Power trim and tilt would be great to have on a heavier 30 HP motor. Is there a greater risk of damage if I hit something with a power tilt motor? Is so, is the risk sufficient to justify sticking with the manual tilt with gas assist instead of the convenience of power tilt.

Hope you can help overome my confusion.

Norm C

Scott Ashe
25-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Hi Mate,

I'm not sure if I can help with your question, however I have an '07 Allycraft 410 Rhino fitted with a Yamaha 25 4 stroke with electric start and power trim and tilt. I have this because I have cerebral palsy, and cant lift my motor without it. Yes there are benefits with the power tilt as I'm a keen mud crabber and it's brilliant for working in the shallows.

It also save your back too, as my Yamaha weighs in at 72kg.

just my opinion.

Cheers
Scott

Noelm
25-09-2008, 10:08 AM
the Motor will "kick up" if you hit something, no worries about that, the trim unit is designed to keep/hold pressure from the prop thrust forward, not from the front of the leg (as in hitting something) trust me on that, done it heaps of times, not too sure how good it will be for the transom of a small tinny though.

the baker
25-09-2008, 11:13 AM
How are you going Norm

Mate I have just put a new 40 yamaha 4stroke on the 4.2 dory the power trim on the yamaha is locked to the motor it is agreat thing to have but if you are doing alot of small creek fishing you do want something that if you hit something that it will lift to and also the more you have on the motor the heavier it is going to be when you have to lift yourself

peterbo3
25-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Norm,
Regardless of which way you go with the trim, could I suggest fitting a prop guard.
You may lose a little bit of speed but they work.