PDA

View Full Version : Murray Cod

PinHead
25-09-2008, 05:44 AM
Am after some info from someone with experience in fishing for MC. Some advise on what lures etc would be greatly appreciated. and gear used. thanks

craig308
25-09-2008, 06:23 AM
g'day pinhead some of my favortie lures for murray cod are the ac invaders, stumpjumpers, jd lures, humpbacks and codgers colours i like are yellow&black, yellow&orange,blue, purple, pink&white then there is spinner baits they are all the rage at the moment and are accounting for a lot of fish if fishing in nsw or vic the season is closed until the 1 of december google murray monster they have some good info too

rossco
25-09-2008, 06:48 AM
Pinhead where are you going to be fishing ie rivers,creeks or impoundments.
I find most lures will work if they are fished close to structure ,rocks, logs tops of trees in deep water & steep banks.As craig308 said for lures & closed seasons, no closed season in Qld except boarder rivers.
cheers rossco

sleepygreg
26-09-2008, 12:44 AM
have always found the boomerangs and jindiviks are great for the smaller cod - colours are greens/yellows/orange combinations...deception cheraxes are also a great lure.....stick to the same colour variations.....but my experience is only in Burrinjuck, Windemere,Wyangala and Glenbawn.

Cheers
Greg

mikooh
26-09-2008, 08:11 AM
As Rossco said, it realy depends on where you are fishing... do you intend to cast or troll?
For casting, you cant beat a spinnerbait tarted up with a plastic and stinger hook...cast hard into sructure, let it sink down and retrieve dead slow. if the lure comes over structure, hop it over the snag and let it sink down again. Most of the time a dead slow is the go, however sometimes a faster retrieve will work as well.

In my neck of the woods hardbodies in the 70 to 100mm range would be my second choice- any of the Aussie made cod lures will work, just stay away from the cheap imported crap that is out there.

As for gear, I like to fish fairly light, my favorite combo is a Loomis SBR812 rod teamed with a little steez baitcaster spooled with 20lb braid. Once again it all depends on where your fishing, around northern NSW I would go for a 3-6kg rod-(check out the Pfluger range, some great rods for the price). Team it with a baitcast reel with 20 or 30lb braid and 20 to 40lb leeder and your all set to go.

Mick