PDA

View Full Version : 115 Merc 2stk Overheating Problems

PelicanTSV
24-09-2008, 11:35 PM
People

Was on the wrong end of the tow rope this afternoon after my 96 model merc overheated and would not restart.

When I got it back home and it started first time.

The impellor is less than 4hrs old. It seems to be pumping a lot of water out where the "leg" meets the "cowling" this doesn't look normal.

Just wondering:
1. if anyone has any experience with overheating problems on this model.
2. If there is some sort of safety switch that shuts the spark off when the motor is too hot and takes a long time (circa 2.5hours) to cool down. I've been told that Merc at one stage had something like this on their starter motors.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Shaun

mally
25-09-2008, 04:40 AM
hey mate, start it in a test tank ,leave it in neutral and hit the throttle a few times around 4000 revs.if no water comes out the exhaust ports,check the pocket valve.

Noelm
25-09-2008, 08:08 AM
OK first off, you say the water pump is only 4 hours old, I guess there is a possibility that it was not installed correctly, or the tube from the pump to the power head is damaged or not aligned, next, it may have got so hot that it partially seized, in which case it may not start, but when cool it did, this may also mean severe internal damage (but not always) only inspection will tell you, so whoever did the water pump needs to dismantle to carefully inspect their handy work, and go from there, and DO NOT rev to 4,000 rpm on the flushers or in a tank with no load!!!!