PDA

View Full Version : Glass vs. Ally

owie625
24-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Hey all, I guess I am about to show my ignorance but here goes.

What are the advantages of a glass boat over alloy? The way I see it the main ones are stability due to hull weight, and less noise at rest.

I can however see more disadvantages:

- Heavy hull = more hp to move it = more fuel needed (both out/inboard and tow vehicle)
- Beaching would damage hull
- More care/maintenance to keep hull in good nick
- Hull can crack and 'bruise'

I am open to all arguments for/against either glass or alloy boats, so please feel free to give opinions........

krill
24-09-2008, 09:19 PM
One advantage of glass over alu is that with glass you have complete design freedom. If you can think it, you can make a mold of it. With plate or pressing there are limitations as to what is possible with the alu sheet.

Technically, this should mean superior designs can be implemented in glass.

TheRealAndy
24-09-2008, 09:55 PM
I think build repeatability is a key aspect. Once you test ride a glass boat, you know the next one out of the mold will be the same. Have a read of this: http://www.seamedia.com.au/_tmp/seamedia-XpH5aq.pdf

And whilst you at it, have a read of this: http://www.seamedia.com.au/_tmp/seamedia-eSp31M.pdf you will never doubt a glass boat again!!

sooty_mad
25-09-2008, 07:32 AM
There is no doubt that glass takes a little more looking after and you need to be a bit more careful around rocks and at boatramps. If you go glass however, your back and neck will thank you every day for the rest of your life.

Regards... David

STUIE63
25-09-2008, 07:49 AM
weight = deeper vee = better ride
Stuie

PADDLES
25-09-2008, 07:58 AM
i'm assuming you're comparing plate alloy to glass and not pressed sheet to glass. glass takes a bit of looking after, rides nice and because of it's ability to be moulded easily more complex hull designs can be created easily and it looks heaps nicer than alloy. for practicality though plate alloy is pretty damn bulletproof. for me personally, glass all day every day for my use, but if i was somewhere that i could run into hard stuff like rock or coral a bit then plate alloy would be looking pretty good.

Noelm
25-09-2008, 08:02 AM
I guess this is a bit like the 2 stroke V 4 stroke, Ford V Holden and so on, there will never be a clear winner, but for the sake of debate, here's my go, I have had both many times so I do not really favor one over the other, Glass is much easier to keep clean, one because it is smoother, and two because there is rarely little corners and ledges, the chance of Glass being damaged by Beaching is about the same as Alloy (most will disagree) Alloy will not rot as Timber used in some Glass construction is prone to do, Glass has almost endless shape possibilities, Alloy is restricted somewhat, Alloy is a bit easier to "add" onto, just weld it on, don't like it? cut it off and grind smooth, Alloy does have some corrosion issues not found in Glass, Alloy does crack sometimes, but glass has been known to split, Glass does have a perceived better ride over Alloy, Glass MAY need a tad more power (not always) these are just a start at the pros and cons, so as you can see, the list would be endless, and never a clear winner will ever be found, just buy what suits you, and join the fight forever!

business class
25-09-2008, 09:26 AM
There is no doubt that glass takes a little more looking after and you need to be a bit more careful around rocks and at boatramps. If you go glass however, your back and neck will thank you every day for the rest of your life.

Regards... David

Argh don't you just love it when someone jumps out of a 4.2 pressed tinnie which they call plate and then jumps into a 7m fibreglass and then thinks Glass is the best.:P God love the Boaties:P ;)

IMO different boats suits different people, for me i am just about to go from a glass boat to a PLATE boat, one which is not pressed, not light in the hull either, not one that is going to hurt your neck and back::) i mean a PLATE boat. Its funny when people compare weight when looking between a glass and plate as most Plateys these days are very similar in weight in the 6m and 7m ranges but of course we all knew that because weight is evrything hey;) . Its that glass is less bouyant then plate, so along with its vee it does sit deaper in the water but buy doing so with its deep V it rocks and rolls quite alot more. the 680 patriot is a perfect example as its a nice ride underway but rocks like the 70's when at rest. Plate i think rides just as good as Glass when your in the 6+m range but yess it is noisier. Even in saying this you also need to pick your boats carefully no matter what you choose, and stick with computer cut plateys as they ride alot better. As for glass the only glass builder today i would go for IMO in a mono hull would be the Eden Craft as it really really impressed me, in bad weather it was awesome and is also quite good at rest and did everything you need a boat to do.

Also KRILL you can do quite alot with plate these days also at alot less of a cost too may i add. ;)

Ask most Platey owners that are open about boats or even someone who has owned both, and not someone who is one eyed either:P and you will see that fibreglass isn't the best thing since slice bread.

Cheers Matty

Local_Guy
25-09-2008, 09:29 AM
anothing point of view to look at is costs.

glass is more expensive and the bigger engine they require cost more too.

but costs aside, if your looking at buying your first boat consider the conditions you'll be fishing in. if you plan to explore creeks were submerged trees and rocks can pop out go alloy for the knock around durability.

if your doing offshore work only then glass might be the way to go for their stability and ride comfort.

sooty_mad
25-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Matty

I have owned all three types of boats, pressed, plate and glass - all under the 5.0 metre range. I have also spent many hours in all three types of boats and believe me there is no way I will ever go back to alloy in any form.

I, like you do have an opinion which I believe I am not only entitled to but also I am (based on experience) qualified to make.

Kind regards... David

Noelm
25-09-2008, 01:54 PM
I always wondered why people think Alloy can stand bumps more than glass, it just is not so! a scratch is a scratch, it may not look as bad on an unpainted Tin Boat, but it is still scratched or gouged, have a look at a painted Tinny been used for crabbing, it is just as knocked around as any glass Boat! both materials are very strong and will resist a bang from a rock or the like equaly, a poorly built/thin Alloy Boat will get a hole/tear just as easily and a badly constructed Glass Boat, but, all things equal, that sort of argument just does not hold true, they are both strong.

Noelm
25-09-2008, 01:55 PM
OH and stability has bugger all to do with the type of Material used for construction! so forget that one as well.

Getout
25-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Is it just my warped view of things, or are most of the plateys really high in the topsides? Is it a design feature to enhance dryness or is it about trying to create a self draining deck? Surely it makes them more tender?
I watched a 6m platey (recognised manufacturer) leave the ramp recently and thought it was going to tip over when three people went to the same side.

BrewGuru
25-09-2008, 06:48 PM
IMO the only reason you would choose alloy, be it pressed, squashed, riveted or welded is its power to weight ratio, cheaper to power, can be towed by a smaller car.
I don't see too many ocean going alloy yachts or blue water cruisers.
Alloy has its advantages as I have pointed out, BUT you can't beat the soft ride of glass, the weight of glass or the flexiblity of the design features.
It has always been horses for courses.
What you save in alloy you sacrifice in comfort and ride.

Wahoo
25-09-2008, 07:04 PM
IMO the only reason you would choose alloy, be it pressed, squashed, riveted or welded is its power to weight ratio, cheaper to power, can be towed by a smaller car.
I don't see too many ocean going alloy yachts or blue water cruisers.
Alloy has its advantages as I have pointed out, BUT you can't beat the soft ride of glass, the weight of glass or the flexiblity of the design features.
It has always been horses for courses.
What you save in alloy you sacrifice in comfort and ride.

do a search on alloy motor yachts, you will be shocked on whats out there, and as for ride, a plate boat in the 6m+ will give a better ride than some new glass boats

finding_time
26-09-2008, 12:09 AM
do a search on alloy motor yachts, you will be shocked on whats out there, and as for ride, a plate boat in the 6m+ will give a better ride than some new glass boats

Come on Wahoo !!put up ,or shut up!!! Which plate boats give a better ride than which glass boats????And what are your reasons for these observations?

Ian

Ps regards to the post , both have there advantages but the plate boats biggest advantage( Ability to be very customized) can also be it's achillies heal. I'm sure every plate boat builder out there has built a dog that just didn't work because there changed to much trying to keep the customer happy and the boat became unbalanced! I personally like glass for several reasons but i know guys who will only ever own a platie! Horses for courses imho!!

Ian

spears
26-09-2008, 01:48 AM
If one was looking at alloy then only a small percentage are plate as the majority these days are pressed because of price.

In regards to alloy..go down to the local ramp and see all the pressed hulls .

The other point is that most sizes seem to only get to 5 m length.(this may vary to different states) and most will buy a glass boat here in south Australia due to the afternoon 2 foot chop (sea breeze)

So far I’ve had 5 alloys and 3 glass,there are advantages and disadvantages with both.

The best boat to buy is what's suited for your type and style of fishing for your local area.By that you would need to go to a ramp and see what the majority are using.
Then you make a choice for size and hull material.

Wahoo
26-09-2008, 05:14 AM
Come on Wahoo !!put up ,or shut up!!! Which plate boats give a better ride than which glass boats????And what are your reasons for these observations?

Ian

Ps regards to the post , both have there advantages but the plate boats biggest advantage( Ability to be very customized) can also be it's achillies heal. I'm sure every plate boat builder out there has built a dog that just didn't work because there changed to much trying to keep the customer happy and the boat became unbalanced! I personally like glass for several reasons but i know guys who will only ever own a platie! Horses for courses imho!!

Ian

seems alot of PPl hit some sought of nerve with you........ the AMM pisses over the new Allison in ride/dryness, i have been in both, have you?????? no really have you????like i said, some of the NEW glass boats, not knocking the Allison either. so now i have "put up" but we all know you will have something else to bitch about....

Noelm
26-09-2008, 08:12 AM
not too sure the material used in construction is the be all to end all as far as ride comfort goes, you could build (say) as huge V Alloy Boat, make it as heavy as you like to cancel out any "perceived" weight advantage, then build a flat bottomed Glass Boat and see which one rides the best!! same goes for stability, material does not come into it (almost) design is the governing factor in all those areas, end of story!

Noelm
26-09-2008, 08:13 AM
OH and the ride can be determined somewhat by the driver, someone who knows how to use trim and throttle will make even a pig of a Boat go OK! whereas someone who just gets to cruise RPM and has a nap on throttle control and just steers, will certainly hit a couple of water speed bumps along the way!

finding_time
26-09-2008, 09:13 AM
You didn't hit a nerve at all Wahoo:D Just interested on what you based that broad ranging statement.;) I cannot compare those 2 as i've only been in a 18 foot amm and a 21 foot allision , as you would expect in that comparison the allision would win, but it's hardly a fair fight! I've also spent a bit of time in a 6.8m very popular make of plate boat( an i'm not naming names on this site as this thread would degenerate very quickly) and was less than impressed this may have been for many reasons, poor driving or the modification it had made it a dog but i couldn't wait to get out. saying that there a a few glass boats i wouldn't own either as there performance on rough days leaves a little to be desired!

rather than name boats i dont like here's my list of great performing glass and plate hulls!

Glass

Seafarer Victory
imho the best 6m hull around but i believe this boat works better offshore with the 150 on the back not the 200, 225,250 it's nowhere near as quick but i feels great, but hey i've never been a rev head and dont believe the rubbish about coastal bars and hull shot!;)

spent a fair bit of time in a haines 630 warrior and a 680 both great boats

Also i like the signatures but why do they use so many screws in the fitout!

Haven't been in many american hulls but gee some look like real performers!

Plate boats

well um ah oh errrgh forget it ,i'm a glass fan!;D

Ian

Noelm
26-09-2008, 09:39 AM
I think a 12' tinny would be a better Boat than a 21' Alison, but hey that's just my opinion (hope it doesn't hit any nerves)

TheRealAndy
26-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Any boat will drive well if you know how to drive it. Some just take a little more attention than others;D

ozbee
26-09-2008, 07:54 PM
i feel that the limiting factor with many plate boats is the econmics and restrictions that come into play that alliluimn sheeting forces upon the maker especially in the nose v cone area . when a large engineering firm develops the ability to give a concave ally nose without to many weld stress joints the gap between glass and ally will be very much over .

Mr__Bean
26-09-2008, 09:22 PM
If I could tow a six and a half metre glass boat or an eight metre platey, I'll take the eight metre platey.

Biggest reason for me is ability to tow (safely) a big hardtop all over the country.

So far mine has fished off South Australia, Victoria, New South Winge and Queensland.

Whilst possible to tow an eight metre glass boat there as well I doubt my landcruiser would do it for long and I know that the wife wouldn't help me with the towing like she does now.

- Darren

kingfish101
26-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Alright, you considered a hybrid of both? I own a kevlarcat 3000 sports fisher, and they build the hulls with a certain thickness of a ally then they coat the hull with kevlar and fibreglass.

Nick175
27-09-2008, 03:28 PM
I think a 12' tinny would be a better Boat than a 21' Alison, but hey that's just my opinion (hope it doesn't hit any nerves)

Hey,
We own an Allison Fisherman 21 and think it is a great performer.
Do you think you can you give a reason as to how a 12 foot tinnie can perform better than the Allison?

Rock Crab
29-09-2008, 12:07 AM
Talking about stability I've owned both glass and plate and IMO, besides a glass cat, there wouldn't be too many glass boats around that could get anywhere near the stability of the Stabi Craft plate alloy boats.

What mono hull glass boat in the 4.5 - 5 m range can you put 3 fully grown men onto 1 side without feeling like your going to go for a swim - there aren't too many. You can easily put 3 people on 1 side of a 459 Stabi and the thing hardly moves and thats just the baby of the Stabis !;) oh and they ride very nicely as well !;)

Cheers