PDA

View Full Version : Flares Disposal?

Straitened Out
24-09-2008, 06:41 PM
I've just bought a 2nd hand tinny and the owner threw in the safety gear, including a set of flares which, surprise surprise, expired in 1996!!!
Can anyone tell me where I can dispose of these in or around Maryborough.
Thanks in anticipation. S.O.

Marlin_Mike
24-09-2008, 06:45 PM
check here

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Safety/Flare_disposal_locations/

Mike

Straitened Out
24-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks MM. There aren't too many of them, are there.

24fish7
24-09-2008, 08:54 PM
i work at tackle world bundaberg and we dispose of a large amount of flares so im guessing your local fishing tackle shop mate, cheers mick

SummerTrance
24-09-2008, 09:43 PM
I keep my old flares in the boat as 'spares' The way I see it, if the boat starts slowly sinking, ive got some extras that might come in handy. Can anyone tell me if keeping old flares is a dangerous in any way ? and am I kidding myself ?

sea raider
25-09-2008, 09:19 AM
I keep my old flares in the boat as 'spares' The way I see it, if the boat starts slowly sinking, ive got some extras that might come in handy. Can anyone tell me if keeping old flares is a dangerous in any way ? and am I kidding myself ?

I think thats a fairly common practice and as far as I know not illegal (might be wrong though)

I'd use the old ones first though, I wouldnt want to rely on the old ones if the new ones were unsuccessful.

Cheers

honda900
25-09-2008, 10:39 AM
SummerTrance,

There was a post a while back on ausfish from bloke who got fined for having old flares on the boat, he even had good set, within date but was fined just for having them on the boat as they are expired.

Also same went for another bloke who was fined for having some old life jackets, on the boat which were not legal, but he had more than enough good ones on the boat to cover the passengers.

Just a heads up..

Regards
Honda

Dory4.1
25-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Hi All,

I just replaced my outdated flares, the guy that sold me the new flares said he had been told that you could keep your old flares on the boat, just keep them stored separately to the new ones (stored in a totally different spot) so you dont get old and new mixed up in an emergency. Makes sense, if asked to show your safety gear, just pull out the new ones whilst keeping the old one out of sight in a separate location. At least you would still have the option of trying to use the expired flares after you use the new ones.

Rgs
Michael

TOPAZ
25-09-2008, 02:51 PM
When I was an instructor at RVCP Melbourne, we used to get the Victorian Water Police to address our classes on the subject of Maritime Law etc.
The question of keeping out of date Flares was often raised, and they would (OFF THE RECORD) suggest keeping the immediately expired set as a spare, and using them FIRST in an emergency. DO NOT, however, show them to a Police Officer when pulled up, as it is indeed, illegal to keep them.
Whilst on the subject of flares - who knows exactly HOW to use them? Can you distinguish Red from Orange Smoke in pitch dark?
It is a very good idea to familiarise yourself with the operating procedure - READ THE DIRECTIONS when the fish are off the bite!
Different brands of flares have different firing procedures - check yours!
Incidentally, RED flares are usually marked with a raised CROSS (+) on the end, and ORANGE flares with a raised CIRCLE (0) so you can feel which is which in the dark. Make sure you hold the flare downwind and overboard whilst alight, as they get VERY HOT and drip hot bits everywhere (better in the water). NEVER point a parachute flare at anyone whilst handling it!

Richard.