PDA

View Full Version : Boat fire on Awoonga??

Barraboy7
24-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Hi all
During our fish on Monday we were far across the dam opposite the ramp and then saw a huge plume of black smoke over on the shoreline toward the ramp, definitely seemed to be at water level, with flames showing as well.
When we finally came over to the ramp later there was a very distinct burn smell in the air, but no sign of any boat, vehicle or burned items on shore. Anyone heard or know what happened?
Barraboy7

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
24-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Barry,
Unfortunately somebody lost the top half of their ski boat. It had trouble starting; maybe some extra fuel got the show rolling on start up. The smell was still there at 3 am the next morning. It was a sad sight from across the lake, let alone being the owner of the craft.
J M

Barraboy7
24-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks mate, scary reminder re safety and proper usage of fuels, electrics etc. Sure would wreck a trip. I hope none were injured.
Cheers
Barry

lippa
24-09-2008, 07:36 PM
wasn't an etec starting up was it?:-X:-X:-X:-X:-X

my bad, i'm crawling back into my hole now!!!!

robersl
24-09-2008, 07:53 PM

:D :D :D :D onya lippa

NAGG
24-09-2008, 08:45 PM

has anyone heard from Trev ?

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
24-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Actually Trev was my first thought. Horrible feeling wondering what was going on!

Obi _ Wan
24-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Trev's OK

I was talking to his wife tonight and she said he had gone off to bed a bit after 7.oopm, very tired and he can scratch his ankles without bending his back.

John.

rod harrison
25-09-2008, 05:30 AM
I'm kinda on the sidelines now, but amongst the vast majority of instances of this nature I was once paid to look into, a venting problem was the culprit.

...petrol fumes accumulate under the hatch housing an inboard petrol engine...it only takes a backfire or stray spark, and kaboom.

Whether the vent system was efficient or the operator took the additional (and common sense) step of opening hatch for a time prior to turning the key is a matter for the investigators to determine.

On other Awoonga happenings, I noticed a white plastic bag drifting around near Dingo yesterday. It's been a first sighting in my 15 years of fishing the lake. Hope it's the last.