PDA

View Full Version : 5 metre Bruce Hariss Sharkcat

Anthony Davies
23-09-2008, 09:12 PM
G'day all

Firstly I would like to say hi as Im a newbie to this site and from what I have been reading so far the forum is full of interesting stuff. I am considering buying a Bruce Harris 5 metre which has fairly new 70hp Tohatsu's on it (under 50hrs) has anyone got experience with them or info on how they hand. Your feedback would be great.

Cheers

Anthony

Kendall249
23-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Welcome Anthony, sorry I can't help with your questions. Are you the regular contributor to FnB? Either way I look forward to any contributions you can make in the future.

Kendall

Anthony Davies
23-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Thanks Kendell, the web site is great should find heaps to discuss.

boatboy50
24-09-2008, 08:31 AM
Hey Anthony,

The original Harris 5m cat was a fairly good one. Has all the usual Shark Cat traits which so much is written about here.

The Tohatsu's are a very simple engine. They are very reliable and easy to work on. You will find they chew more fuel than we are used to from today's outboards, and will suffer from resale because nobody knows about them.

I would think if it's a real 5m Cat, the 70's will make it fly.

Regards

Darren

Noelm
24-09-2008, 08:56 AM
while the 5 metre was OK, it was never popular, not too sure why, whereas the 18' sold in the thousands, as mentioned the Tohatus's will be OK, but they are almost the same as the Boat, regardless of how good they are, they are just not all that common, once again who knows why?

Grand_Marlin
24-09-2008, 01:32 PM
G'day Anthony,

I replied to your PM, but didnt hear anything back or get the photos you were going to send.

Can you post the pics on here now?

The 5m is a great little boat and 70's are the right size motor.
They need every bit of the twin 70's to get up and going, and the 70's push the 5m to a top speed of 35 knots.
Keep in mind you have a 5m boat that still weighs 2 tonne.

The version with the pods is arguably a better balanced boat, and certainly gives heaps more deck room.

The 560 is a more solid feeling boat in the sea, but the 5m is still a great sea boat.
The one that I got for my brother now lives in Cairns, and he has no trouble out performing a Haines 19C and a Trailcraft 640 in all conditions.
Last time they were all out, it blew 25kts for the trip home.
The cat beat the others by 20 mins from Oyster reef back to Cairns... the cat was loaded and waiting in the car park when the others arrived.

The main downfall with the 5m is the classic droopy nose syndrome ... if you have 2 or 3 people standing at the dash, it will dip its nose at slow speeds.
The front is like a big shovel, and delights in throwing heaps of water over the screen.

I think the Tohatsus are an under rated motor ... you dont hear much about them, dont see them marketed like all the major brands - yet a lot of commercial operators have them and swear by them.
They were originally marketed as a budget motor, and I think a lot of people have thought budget = poor quality.
This doesnt seem to be the case with the Tohatsu's.
I have honestly never heard a bad report about them.

Cheers

Pete

Anthony Davies
24-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Im heading out for a test tomorrow so I will know more then but never been in one before so dont know what to expect. I can only go on what Im reading. I have owned monos before and looking for something that can handle offshore conditions but without the 40k price tag

Ant

Anthony Davies
24-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Hi Pete,

Having trouble with the sizing of the pics, so it wont let me attached them.

Is there any other address I can send them to?

Regards,
Anthony

Grand_Marlin
30-09-2008, 07:32 PM
How did you go with the test run Anthony?

Cheers

Pete

Ratman
30-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Some good advise there 'showbags.'

Missed you down the boat club mate. ;D

Mick

Anthony Davies
02-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Still waiting for the seller to make the time for a run. I have bought a few boat before but never have I had to wait so long for the seller. I'm getting a bit annoyed with the wait, started looking a other boats but really want this sharkcat.

Dean1
03-10-2008, 07:56 PM
G'day mate, theres a writeup in a F&B about 4 months ago about a 5m sharkcat called Pekelo. The author stated that these boats are one 'plank' short of a fishing trip as in not enough freeboard. If a few guys stand up front and you dropped off plane heading into short vertical waves they can be potentially dangerous. Good boats but the 560 sharkcats are a much better boat, then theres the 5.2kc which has awsome lift and freeboard. Maccas on here had a 5m sharkcat and now has a 5.2kc. Cheers

getin'catty
03-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Hey there I've got a 5m sharkcat now. Mines made by noosa but the same mould anyway. Has twin 85 yammys, gets up and goes very well. I do agree about being a plank short but every boat is a trade off. The 5.6 is a lot more boat which means a lot more weight to tow and a bit more to handle at the ramp. The 5.0 lacks a bit on the freebourd height but with all the cat features they are famous for it is still a very sea worthy craft and a very forgiving boat in its handling.

Dean1
04-10-2008, 08:29 AM
Hey there I've got a 5m sharkcat now. Mines made by noosa but the same mould anyway. Has twin 85 yammys, gets up and goes very well. I do agree about being a plank short but every boat is a trade off. The 5.6 is a lot more boat which means a lot more weight to tow and a bit more to handle at the ramp. The 5.0 lacks a bit on the freebourd height but with all the cat features they are famous for it is still a very sea worthy craft and a very forgiving boat in its handling. Yeah mate no doubt they are a great handling boat, lets face it its a cat ;D Once you were aware that they behave this way in those conditions you would have no worries at all. I looked at buying one some time back. Yours would fly with the 85's! You said yours is built buy noosacat what year is the hull?

Vitamin Sea
04-10-2008, 11:55 AM
G'day Anthony,

The one that I got for my brother now lives in Cairns, and he has no trouble out performing a Haines 19C and a Trailcraft 640 in all conditions.
Last time they were all out, it blew 25kts for the trip home.
The cat beat the others by 20 mins from Oyster reef back to Cairns... the cat was loaded and waiting in the car park when the others arrived.

Cheers

Pete

Hey Pete

You forgot to mention that Haines only had a 115 on the back and was only running on 2 cylinders;D

Cheers

Bill

getin'catty
04-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Hi there Dean1

Yeh its deffinately no slouch with the 85s, I beleive it to be early 90's. I can't be sure though. Researched it a bit but is basically impossible to pin down exactly. I don't beleive many were made by noosacat though because they changed them to a 5.2 around 93-95 sometime, can't quite remember. And didn't noosa take over bruce hariss in the very late 80's, around 88-89?

Anthony Davies
04-10-2008, 04:24 PM
G'day fellas,

This boat im looking at has 6 planks not 5 like some i have looked at, is the one with 5 planks the one you mean is too short i would love to post a pic but just cant seem too, even the misus has tried who is normally pretty good with that kinda thing.

Cheers

Ant.

getin'catty
04-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Hi there Anthony

I don't claim to know a huge amount about this but I was always under the impression that the 5m had 5 planks and the 5.6 had the extra plank. If that is the case I would also assume that a 5.6 would be grossly underpowered with 70s on it. Grand Marlin is the guru on this stuff though from reading things on here in the past.

Grand_Marlin
05-10-2008, 06:42 AM
Anthony, my email is petermccullagh@hotmail.com

Email me the pics and I will put them up for you.

I think you have to have a certain amount of posts up before you can post pics on Ausfish.

Cheers

Pete

Grand_Marlin
05-10-2008, 06:48 AM
Hey Pete

You forgot to mention that Haines only had a 115 on the back and was only running on 2 cylinders;D

Cheers

Bill

No Bill, it wasn't a Mercury ;D

Cheers

Pete

Grand_Marlin
05-10-2008, 07:09 AM
The 500 Series has 5 planks - this is the boat known as the 5m Sharkcat.
The 560 Series has 6 planks - this is the boat known as the 18ft Sharkcat.

The original Bruce Harris 16ft Sharkcat has 6 planks.
This boat also has flat sponsons at the rear.

Cheers

Pete

Vitamin Sea
05-10-2008, 09:06 AM
No Bill, it wasn't a Mercury ;D

Cheers

Pete

;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D

Grunter71
05-10-2008, 11:36 AM
I have a 560 series made by the Noosa Cat Company in February 1990, so they had defintiely taken over the company by then.

getin'catty, my 560 has 70's on it and it gets along pretty well. They are probably as small as you would want to go, but I wouldn't consider it grossly underpowered.

Maccas
05-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Hey Anthony,

I had a Sharkcat 500 with pods which were 500mm long so boat was basically 5.5m long. It had 60hp Johnsons on it and did 27knots at WOT. It was a good boat once I had a wheelhouse type canopy set up which solved the worst problem with which was getting wet by water being scooped up when the boat dropped into waves going slow into them or when it was rough you came off the top of one wave and dropped into the next wave. This mostly was only a problem in a head sea or if you didn't use your throttles for the odd wave in a following sea. Once you leant how to manage it properly it was a safe and good sea boat which I often went 30 miles out to sea with no problems. That's a fair way out here in WA, not something to do unless you have a good sea boat.

It was good with three people but it was nose heavy with three people up front especially with a lot of gear in the cabin. Also with three people down the back fishing you would get a bit of water flow back through the scuppers, not dangerous but uncomfortable if the water was cold. I only sold it because it had old motors, trailer needed a refurb,electronics were average and by the time I did all of the things I wanted it was about the same dollars to buy my KC5.2 which had most of the things I wanted in a slightly bigger boat with low hour motors. The KC 5.2 is able to go quicker in the same seas because it has more lift in the bow and is a better boat all round but the Sharkcat 500 was still a very good boat that would outperform monos its size and many bigger monos as well. For an 18 ft boat it had plenty of room and was stable at rest. I bought it new in 1988 and was one of the last Sharkcat 500 before Noosaat took over. BTW it had 5 planks. I'll see if I can post some pictures of it and my KC5.2

Cheers,

Maccas

Anthony Davies
05-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Hey Maccas

The KC looks nice but they are abit out of my price range at the moment. How did your five metre go on the juice was it thirsty? This is my first go at a cat Iv had a few monos but they have only had the single motor. I plane on doing some offshore fishing in it so seaworthiness is important.

Ant.

Maccas
05-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Anthony,

I worked on around 35 lts/hr for the two 60hp Johnos combined but it probably did a littles less than that most trips. The boat was not much lighter than the KC on its trailer probably 200kg but I didn't weigh it. The two 60's were enough power but 70's would have been ideal. I used to have a mono before the Sharkcat but I would never go back to one. I used to get seasick in the mono but only sometimes in the cat;D . Once you get used to a cat you won't want to go back, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, especially the ability to fish in rough weather and get home in comfort.

I just love my KC;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers,

Maccas

Grand_Marlin
05-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Here is Anthony's Boat.

Looks quite neat after its overhaul.

It is an original 16ft Sharkcat - Circa late 70's.

Would still be quite a good rig at the right price.
Although I have never been in one of the originals, I am led to believe they are not as soft as the later model boats due to the flat sponson.

If it isn't a rude question Anthony, what is the asking price?

Make sure you get it checked thoroughly - motors, floor, transoms and if possible stringers / bulkheads.

Also, get someone to strengthen the front of the trailer where the boat sponsons touch it ... it looks very weak at the moment.
Hard braking or an accident could see the boat come forwards.

Cheers

Pete

Maccas
05-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Hey Ant

Have you got any photos of boat from front and side on. I would like to see where the helm is in relation to the front of boat as if it is too far forward it could be prone to dropping into oncoming waves if front heavy when loaded up with gear and crew.

I know that was something to be aware of in my Sharkcat and when they designed the KC 5.2 they spent a lot of time getting it right so that the weight balance was right.

I agree with Grand Marlin as far as ride, I think that those flat sponsons will make it ride a bit harder than my old Sharkcat 500 which had a narrower planing plank.

Cheers,

Maccas

Anthony Davies
06-10-2008, 07:10 AM
G'day Pete,

Thanks for the advice and posting the pic for me, the price he is asking is 18k, the motors and new hydraulic steer cost him that 12 months ago.

Cheers

Ant.

Grand_Marlin
06-10-2008, 07:50 AM
G'day Anthony,

I personally think 18K is getting up there for that age boat.
In saying that, it does look in good condition.

If it were me, I would either be negotiating hard, or looking at a later model boat like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SHARKCAT-500-SPORTSMAN-SHARK-CAT-by-Noosa-Cat_W0QQitemZ110294656649QQihZ001QQcategoryZ158332 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers

Pete

Anthony Davies
06-10-2008, 08:03 AM
Maccas

Grand Marlin was kinda enough to post the pic for me. The helm position is back a fair way and if you put ice box's etc at the back of the boat maybe this would help with the nose dive problem. I fish the two gulfs here in SA which generally have a short half-1 metre chop, you just dont see to many cats on the water here except rescue vessels which says something in itself I guess. 35l/h sounds good for two motors I had a Merc 75 2002 model on a 4.75 alloy centre console which used 25l/h doing about 30km. I suppose the two motors working together reduce overall fuel consumsion.

Cheers

Ant.

julian1
06-10-2008, 09:42 AM
if it was me, i would harrassing Grand Marlin about that 560 sitting in his front yard, as it's one of the better models of that series, i'm sure he is selling it ? ;D

cheer's

Julian

Blackened
06-10-2008, 12:19 PM
he is selling it ? ;D

G'day

I wouldn't sell the woman I love, would you? :P

Dave

Dean1
06-10-2008, 06:07 PM
He's (grand marlin) gotta pull his finger out and get it going before he can work out what his going to do with it!! ;D

Grand_Marlin
06-10-2008, 09:13 PM
You can pick up a woman anywhere ... but a good boat is hard to find ;D

Not for sale yet ...

Doesn't it look sweet with the Yammies on it though :-*

Cheers

Pete

julian1
07-10-2008, 08:29 AM
is it terribly slow with the 80's on it ?
does it still lift out of the water or just barge along ?
that is the sweet model 560 probably the only better was the next model that had pods, but they seem to be very rare.

Grunter71
07-10-2008, 11:29 AM
They are a good boat, the podded versions. I might know of one coming up for sale after Christmas.

julian1
07-10-2008, 02:00 PM
is it in good condition ?
private or been a commercial vessel ?

Dean1
08-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Well im unsure but Im now thinking that my cat I had 7 years ago must have been the early 16 ft bruce harris mould with waterline pods on her as the hull was flat at the rear. This boat was built in 1996 by multihull yaucht builders called a multicat and the hull was 5m plus 500mm long pods making it 5.5m. The helm position is a long way back obviously making it a better boat. It had a big cab 3 could sleep in. It did 30kts WOT with the merc 75's and weighed 1850kgs. It performed great I saw some mean seas in her. Deano.

Noelm
08-10-2008, 11:27 AM
are you thinking of getting rid of yours Grunter??

Maccas
08-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Hey Dean,

Nice looking cat, did you sell it to get the KC 5.2?

The photos show that your old boat with pods looks to have the balance right as far as position of the helm compared to the photo of the 16ft sharkcat by Grand Marlin. Also your old boat has large pods which if the boat had the large flat planning plank bottom would have matched the boat without the gap of other pods which don't go to the waterline thereby making it act as a true 5.5metre boat. This would make it a much better boat than the 16 ft sharkcat, plus the pods give you more deck space.

Basically it was the same as my old sharkcat 500 with pods except a bit better balance due to the extra plank(6 not 5) and helm position being further back. Was your old boat 2.4m wide as mine was only 2.24m wide which would also affect deck space and stability.

Cheers,

Maccas

Dean1
08-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Hey Maccas mate I sold it as I needed the money to get into a realestate investment. I loved the boat I regreted selling it but you have to do what you have to do at sometimes. The whole rig only had a genuine 180 hrs on it. By memory it was 2.3m wide maybe it was 2.4m. Yeah they were great pods made it very stable especially while travelling been so flat, better than the KC I think. I recall coming home in an ugly 25kt NE and it ate it up so well but the KC is definately better in a following sea. Pity Kc's dont have full pods like these hey. Only seen one other multicat like mine for sale. Id much rather my KC but the deck layout etc. is superb ;)

Maccas
08-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Dean,

Bit of a bugger having to sell the multicat. Were you boat less for long? Still that's when your mates boats come in handy;D even if it was a mono. Which boat would you prefer if you had the choice?

Did you have any spray deflector plates on your multicat. I didn't need any on my Sharkcat but am looking at fitting some to my KC5.2 Have you got any on your new 4 strokes and did you have any on your old 70 hp yammy 2 strokes?

Cheers,

Maccas

Dean1
08-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Dean,

Bit of a bugger having to sell the multicat. Were you boat less for long? Still that's when your mates boats come in handy;D even if it was a mono. Which boat would you prefer if you had the choice?

Did you have any spray deflector plates on your multicat. I didn't need any on my Sharkcat but am looking at fitting some to my KC5.2 Have you got any on your new 4 strokes and did you have any on your old 70 hp yammy 2 strokes?

Cheers,

Maccas Mate I was boatless for about 3 years and that hurt!! Too busy renoing houses! Id definatly rather the KC mate its a better all round boat no doubt ;) I had foils on the multicat, never thought of taking them off to try the difference. I had spray plates on my 70's, I took them off and put them on my new 4 strokes. They are a MUST!! Totally get rid of the mist that people say cats are so bad for. Heres a pic of them on my old 70's

Tri N Hard
09-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Have a look at the the 5m cat on ebay at the moment it has twim merc 4,s and refurb asking low 20,s