PDA

View Full Version : Yalta triple 5 Recommendations?

secret_spot
23-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Hi all,
looking at purchasing a yalta triple 5 and am wondering if anybody has had experiences with them, good or bad. I live in Mackay so we get a mongrel SE half chop up here so i am after a boat that can handle chop without buckets of water coming in.
Cheers
Secret.

tin can marlin
23-09-2008, 10:39 PM
I saw one the other day at crew marine getting a service and in the right sunlight you could see though the fibreglass side they were that thin you get what you pay for.

TheRealAndy
23-09-2008, 10:46 PM
They have a pretty good reputation around SE QLD. I just got a big wad of cash recently and was going to buy one but changed my mind in the last 2 weeks and decided to bang it onto the mortgage.... sigh.....

Jabba_
24-09-2008, 05:45 AM
Tin can is right,, they are cheaply built... been out in one a few times, and there is not much I can say that is good about them, except there cheap to buy.. IMO the Pursuit 550F, which is similarly priced, is a better boat, but still not a solid sea boat but it would be my pick from the 2....

I spent 3 weeks in Mackay last year, got heaps off time on the water.... Our worst trip was comming home from the Power Pole, About 35 miles straight out from the marina.... A front came though, wind pick up 25nt SE,,,, which is not that bad, plenty off islands to hide behind... But when you get to the east side off Keswick Is, The channel has two currentts that colide together, add makes a very dangerous passage.... There is no way I would feal safe in a Yalta, or Pursuit for that matter in those conditions.....

If money is a restricting factor, Buy a secondhand quality sea boat... Hains hunter, Seafarer just to name 2... Either off these 2 boats will run rings a around a Yalta....

thelump
24-09-2008, 07:14 AM
[quote=Jabba_;902313

If money is a restricting factor, Buy a secondhand quality sea boat... Hains hunter, Seafarer just to name 2... Either off these 2 boats will run rings a around a Yalta....[/quote]

I own a Yalta and dont really agree with Jabba. Yes they are cheap to buy which is a good thing but I doubt whether a Haines or Seafarer will "Run rings around them". Any 5.5 boat in crap conditions will have a hard slog. I have had mine in ordinary conditions both at sea and in the short chop of Moreton bay and it handles it well. I have been in a 550 CC Outsider in similar conditions and it went no better than the Yalta (just cost a lot more for the name). Given my time again I would still buy one over the more expensive "better sea boats". There are quite a few guys on this site that should tell you the same.

Cheers Jason.

megafish71
24-09-2008, 07:30 AM
Tin can is right,, they are cheaply built... been out in one a few times, and there is not much I can say that is good about them, except there cheap to buy.. IMO the Pursuit 550F, which is similarly priced, is a better boat, but still not a solid sea boat but it would be my pick from the 2....

I spent 3 weeks in Mackay last year, got heaps off time on the water.... Our worst trip was comming home from the Power Pole, About 35 miles straight out from the marina.... A front came though, wind pick up 25nt SE,,,, which is not that bad, plenty off islands to hide behind... But when you get to the east side off Keswick Is, The channel has two currentts that colide together, add makes a very dangerous passage.... There is no way I would feal safe in a Yalta, or Pursuit for that matter in those conditions.....

If money is a restricting factor, Buy a secondhand quality sea boat... Hains hunter, Seafarer just to name 2... Either off these 2 boats will run rings a around a Yalta....

Sorry Jabba, but I dont think you have any Idea about Yaltas at all. The yalta are built very strongly and ride much better than you imagine. A few years ago when I bought my Yalta I test drove the 615 Yalta, and 6mtr Haines and a 6mtr Haines Sig. On the day (20knts SE out off Cairns) the Yalta out performed both of the Haines boats and never felt unsafe, the Yalta hull is basicly a moderized copy of the old V-series haines, the 555 a copy of the V-17 and the the 615 a copy of the V-19. As for the comment from Tin Can that you can see daylight through the hull, that has nothing to do with anything, I have seen daylight through new Haines and Seafearer as well as others, When cutting some holes in the side of mine while fitting up some plumbing for the bait tanks I was suprised to see that the hull was about 15mm thick an I could see daylight through the hull just above this area. The Yalta is a dam good boat with out a lot of the fancy overpriced extras found on other more expensive so call better sea boats.

Ron

spearking
24-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Have to say I agree with megafish, I just went through the process of buying a new boat and a new yalta 555 was high on my list. I did a heap of research and basically the yalta is just a no nosense simple base of a boat, built well, rides well, and economical to purchace.
Also with a clean slate like the yalta although it will cost you extra coin to set up, at least it'll be set up the way you want.
For intrest sake I ended up buying a 97 cruisecraft outsider 550, only because I bargained a killer deal and the boat was in top condition.
Happy Hunting

TheRealAndy
24-09-2008, 08:24 AM
I wouldn't say a yalta is a cheaply build boat, I would say its built to a price. Its not as fancy as the haines or the cruiscraft, its plain looking basic boat. The lack of fluff is what pulled me in when I was looking at them. The hull design is pretty old now I think, and has stood the test of time. I did know one owner who had to have a transom replaced, but I have no idea of the age of the boat.

Do yourself a favour, get out and look at all the boats on the market. I did, and it takes ages. There is some great boats out there and in the end I think most of it comes down to how the boat is configured and weather it meets your needs. The build quality of all aussie boats are in the same league IMO, some may be sligtly better (ie read glass stringers etc) but they are not far apart. After all my searching i had narrowed my selection down to 2 boats, they were the Yalta and the Tournament 2000 (ex mustang moulds).

honda900
24-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Yep agree with the others, dont know what jabba was in, maybe an older version of the same hull.

I have had mine for 2 years, solid, reliable, safe and dry. Got caught down the goldie one time in some pretty crap weather with a 3-4 metre swell rolling in, and thing just made you feel safe.

When they say cheap, it is not cheap but as some one els has mentioned built to a price. Not that you miss out on anything.

Great boat and I think a little underated by some guys. Plenty of guys have em on this site and Jabba's comments are the first bad words I have ever heard mentioned.

Go the Yalta..

Regards
Honda

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/honda900_uw/PHOT0013.jpg

Blackened
24-09-2008, 09:45 AM
in the right sunlight you could see though the fibreglass side they were that thin you get what you pay for.

G'day

I can confidently say I've been through 40' Bavaria yachts, 36' yamaha flybridges, haines, c/c, mustangs of all shapes and sizes and I have been able to see through them.

I garuntee you the Bavaria's are built superbly, as are most oif the others mentioned, Fibreglass by nature is translucent, that is untill you add a bit of flowcoat, a solid medium to block any light.

If you can see light through parts of a yalta..... that means nothing because that's a common enough theme through all brands using the same medium

Dave

chop duster
24-09-2008, 10:11 AM
I have seen the same "daylight comments" on here regarding another boat of late. Usually comes from someone who doesn't know much about GRP construction and can be damaging to the reputation of the boats they are bagging.
Blackened has hit the nail on the head (well thought out explanation by the way). So peoples, stop the rot, I think if we all just comment on the things we know, this place would be all the more useful.
Regarding the price of Yalta's - see TheRealAndy's response. If bling is your thing, then buy something else.

Brejen
24-09-2008, 03:18 PM
All I can say is that I have been out in Gawby's 555 and we have been out at the banks in 25knt WSW and the 555 come home in it without worry. We've been 120km offshore up of Gladstone again top stuff.

They have a top fishing area and great cab to boot. And for the money thay are new its hard to go past them IMO.

Gawby has contemplated selling his only to get the bigger brother but again he finds it very hard to justify it.

my opion top boat allround

Brett

Blackened
24-09-2008, 03:38 PM
G'day

For the record, I have been offshore in a yalta odessa, it's a 20' half cab that Grand_Marlin had completely restored, and did a job that well surpassed standards of a new boat.

It was a brilliant boat in the ride, handling and fishing areas, simply a simple craft with all the abilities needed

Dave

Jabba_
24-09-2008, 06:13 PM
I own a Yalta and dont really agree with Jabba. Yes they are cheap to buy which is a good thing but I doubt whether a Haines or Seafarer will "Run rings around them". Any 5.5 boat in crap conditions will have a hard slog. I have had mine in ordinary conditions both at sea and in the short chop of Moreton bay and it handles it well. I have been in a 550 CC Outsider in similar conditions and it went no better than the Yalta (just cost a lot more for the name). Given my time again I would still buy one over the more expensive "better sea boats". There are quite a few guys on this site that should tell you the same.
Cheers Jason.
I don't believe I mentioned Cruisecraft.....

Sorry Jabba, but I dont think you have any Idea about Yaltas at all. The yalta are built very strongly and ride much better than you imagine. A few years ago when I bought my Yalta I test drove the 615 Yalta, and 6mtr Haines and a 6mtr Haines Sig. On the day (20knts SE out off Cairns) the Yalta out performed both of the Haines boats and never felt unsafe, the Yalta hull is basicly a moderized copy of the old V-series haines, the 555 a copy of the V-17 and the the 615 a copy of the V-19. As for the comment from Tin Can that you can see daylight through the hull, that has nothing to do with anything, I have seen daylight through new Haines and Seafearer as well as others, When cutting some holes in the side of mine while fitting up some plumbing for the bait tanks I was suprised to see that the hull was about 15mm thick an I could see daylight through the hull just above this area. The Yalta is a dam good boat with out a lot of the fancy overpriced extras found on other more expensive so call better sea boats.

Ron
Yeah I might not have much off an idea,, but what I do know is the fishing trip in the Yalta 555 was one of the worst rides I have experianced, Conditions wern't perfect, 10-15kn NE... The Yalta got bounced around like a tinnie, and it took more effort to maintain coarse because the chop would push you off coarse very easy.... We opened the throttle to get on top of the chop, and it banged it ass off like a $2 hooker..
Again the Hains Signature is not a true sea boat,,, great for protected water but outside not that good when it turns ordinary.... Hains Hunter, Seafarer, the newer Cruisecrafts, Edencraft,,, Heavy boats perform better then light boats in rough/choppy conditions...

jack sparrow
24-09-2008, 06:26 PM
to tin can and jabba, yous 2 must be wankas, im gawbys son and i cant say anything bad about the yalta. as brejen said, we have been out in it in monster seas and cant feel any saffer in it. and for daylite, it must be shining out your you know what, if u dont like my comments, go to bunning and buy a can of HARDEN THE **** UP.
DAVE.

gawby
24-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Jabba with all due respect you don't know what you are talking about.
The boat you were in was not obviosly set up properly. Take a look at most
glass boats and you can see daylight through the sides.
Tin can marlin yes you do get what you pay for being a very sea worthy boat
at the right price. Not knocking cruise craft as i like them also but you pay a lot more money for the same boat with a lot of trimmings that don't make you catch fish any better.
I am more than pleased with my 555 and have had no problems with it in the 2 years i have owned it.
My brother in law has been fishing off the gold coast tweed heads area for the past 30 years in a number of different boats and he has said that he feels safer in his 555 than all the others.
Like aholes everybody has an opinion and this is mine.
Graeme

Jabba_
24-09-2008, 08:31 PM
to tin can and jabba, yous 2 must be wankas, im gawbys son and i cant say anything bad about the yalta. as brejen said, we have been out in it in monster seas and cant feel any saffer in it. and for daylite, it must be shining out your you know what, if u dont like my comments, go to bunning and buy a can of HARDEN THE **** UP.
DAVE.
Wankers or whatever, all I'll say is some people are easily pleased, and some aren't... You and your dad must be easily pleased ..... There's no way I'll ever have a Yalta...

I think you need the can off HARDEN THE **** UP, after your little dummy spit

Jabba_
24-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Jabba with all due respect you don't know what you are talking about.
The boat you were in was not obviosly set up properly. .
Graeme

Yeah, your right. To start with it wasn't built properly....;D

captain rednut
24-09-2008, 09:02 PM
hey jabba you need a chill pill!

tin can marlin
24-09-2008, 09:46 PM
You go and ask stones corner about yalta they will you how s#$t they are. And i would trust waynes veiw over a lot of peoples and they don't stock a glass boat so you can't say they are saying because they sell another brand. You can charge half price and build the same boat as a cruies craft or a allison etc.

captain rednut
24-09-2008, 09:57 PM
hi marky tcm i personally like yalta crafts!they are built as good as most and use substandard ply without even coating it! like most? so what is so different? maybe a alloy boats are the go?

TheRealAndy
24-09-2008, 10:17 PM
The cruisecraft I used to build used masonite...

chop duster
25-09-2008, 09:34 AM
In the floor. The stringers etc.. were all ply right?

So Jabba doesn't recommend the triple 5 due to a bad experience (his opinion)

TinCanMarlin doesn't like the Yalta range because some bloke selling tinnies doesn't like them (hearsay)

Seems as though the owners like them.
Have you had a look at the re-sale? I'm not sure (haven't researched it).

TheRealAndy
25-09-2008, 09:58 AM
In the floor. The stringers etc.. were all ply right?

So Jabba doesn't recommend the triple 5 due to a bad experience (his opinion)

TinCanMarlin doesn't like the Yalta range because some bloke selling tinnies doesn't like them (hearsay)

Seems as though the owners like them.
Have you had a look at the re-sale? I'm not sure (haven't researched it).

Yup, the floor. Stringers were ply. Cant remeber what the transom was now, too long ago!

honda900
25-09-2008, 10:01 AM
The resale value is good, they are holding pretty much to new price..

Can say that the 555 doesnt come up for sale that often and when they do they are coming up at near new pricing.

None up there at the moment but this will give you an indication;

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2932129

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2985292

Regards
Honda

Grand_Marlin
25-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Blackened is dead right - all fibreglass is translucent - no matter what thickness.

In my opinion the Yalta is a great boat - certainly a lot more predictable in a heavy sea than a lot of others that are considered "leading brands"

Are they the best around?
Arguably not as good as a Seafarer or Cruisecraft, but I would rate the Yalta equal to anything else available.

I have owned the 189 and the 2000 Odessa.
I was very happy with both, and would have no hesitation in owning another one.

Cheers

Pete

FNQCairns
25-09-2008, 11:48 AM
The resale value is good, they are holding pretty much to new price..

Can say that the 555 doesnt come up for sale that often and when they do they are coming up at near new pricing.

None up there at the moment but this will give you an indication;

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2932129

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2985292

Regards
Honda

Over priced comes to mind with those two examples, still there does not need to be a relationship between asking price and the selling price on any product I guess.

Both tows are illegal, must be the norm with these packages?

cheers fnq

Az
25-09-2008, 03:08 PM
You go and ask stones corner about yalta they will you how s#$t they are. And i would trust waynes veiw over a lot of peoples and they don't stock a glass boat so you can't say they are saying because they sell another brand. You can charge half price and build the same boat as a cruies craft or a allison etc.

haha relying on stones corner marine advice... shit that opens a completely different bag of worms!!

fish-n-dive
25-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Mate, I consider that I have a full deck of cards where it counts and as you may have read elsewhere in this forum, I am just in the final stages of purchasing a Yalta Odessa 6.15.

IMO, they are a well built boat with a ton of fishing room and the fact that they cost less than some other name brands means nothing other than the fact that they are competitive in the market place.

Statements re seeing sunlight through them and equating that to hull strength has no foundation of fact............... ;)

PinHead
25-09-2008, 07:22 PM

that is the first sign of a bad dealer...bagging other products...would avoid them like the plague if that is what they do.

Seems like the owners of Yaltas are more than happy with their boats...that must be a good recommendation. If they weren't happy they would have sold them.

piglet
26-09-2008, 06:01 AM
Got one, good boat, not as well finished as some, basic inside, good fishing room, a bit rolly at rest but good on the move, I fish mackay never had a drama in the area. I recommend it but i am far from an expert. Would not trade it on anything the same size, if upgrading to another bigger boat would definatly look at its big brother.

Mtx
30-09-2008, 09:13 AM
I bought mine and am more than happy with it. I have been out in CC and Haines and have not seen a difference in ride quality or stability.

I personally did not want to pay for fake timber trimming in mine - I wanted a capable fishing boat.

Jabba - I would suggest the boat was not set up correctly and without owning one and carrying on the way you are, I don't think you are earning any credibility mate.

There are a number of Yalta owners on this forum and I am yet to find someone who is not happy with their purchase. Might be worth thinking about before shooting your mouth off with complete dribble.