PDA

View Full Version : Co2 PFD Service

flybloke
22-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Co2 PFD,s Service.
Can anyone direct me to the QLD gov law that states how often these vest's are REQUIRED to be serviced.
Im getting all sorts of opinions but yet to find any truth.

Thanks

chewy01
22-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Hi mate, my local boaties warehouse printed me out the relavant stuff,but iv since thrown it out.Basically it sai if you were competant you could do it yourself .Just keep the receipt of the new canister,and mark on the lifejacket the date you serviced it it is all good,of course checking for damage as well.

flybloke
22-09-2008, 10:08 PM
So they do need to be serviced / Checked every twelve months?
And if no service = A big fine?
For some reason I was under the belief that there were some years between new gas cylinders and check

oldboot
22-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Like many things the QLD legeslation will problay reference a "standard". that may or may not be available freely.

cheers

Hornet Rider
23-09-2008, 12:19 AM
flybloke, just to build on what chewy has said..... You just need to make sure that all the dots are lined up. This is from Ken Gray, Senior Advisor Maritime, Policy Development and Evaluation, Safety Standards Branch,Maritime Safety Queensland

Dot 1 - the PFD Type 1 vest must comply with a standard recognised MSQ (see attached MIB & Exemption)

Dot 2 - the PFD must show a legible expiry date & must be serviced by the manufacture or the manufacture's authorised service agent. If not they must be replaced before the expiry date.

Dot 3 - if the PFD does not have an expiry date, then under the Exemption, they can be deemed acceptable for use as a PFD Type 1 providing the manufacture has establised a documented servicing program, AND that you adhear to the manufacturer's servicing program, AND you can produce documentary evidence of adhearance to the manufacturer's servicing program

There's no specific mention of CO2 cylinders in the MIB or Exemption but MSQ advised me they take the CO2 cylinder to be a component part of the PFD & if the cylinder is stamped with a date (either date of manufacture or expiry date) then it must be 'in date' in accordance with the PFD manufacture's servicing program for that PFD for it to be deemed compliant.

It took me a little while to get my head around this. Ken Gray (MSQ) also added this advice:

Recognising that PFDs do not generally show an expiry date an exemption was
gazetted in November 2006 that included the following:
that the requirements in section 41(2) and (3) of the regulation
regarding an expiry date do not apply to inflatable personal
flotation devices provided that:
a) the inflatable personal flotation device is one for which the
manufacturer has established a documented servicing program; and
b) the owner or master of the ship adheres to the manufacturer’s
servicing program; and
c) the owner or master of the ship can produce documentary evidence
of adherence to the manufacturer’s servicing program.

This exemption applies as if it were a regulation and as such provides
another way of doing things to that mentioned in section 19 of the
Transport Operations (Marine Safety - Recreational Ships Miscellaneous
Equipment) Standard 2006.

The purchase date mentioned in the MIB was intended to be the initial
purchase, not secondhand. Were you to produce a receipt for secondhand
purchase as a starting date for servicing you may be asked to show that the
jacket is in good condition. Of course, despite any documentation, the
jacket must be in sound condition.

When I asked MSQ if I could replace the CO2 cylinder, they said yes but make sure it complies with the manufacturer's approved type of cylinder for that vest, & note any additional servicing requirements like replacement of O rings, torque, initiator/striker pin servicing & striker pin safety seal replacement. There was a big IF attached to the advice I was given, & that was if I did any servicing then I need to be prepared, in the worst case, to prove that I was compentant to perform the servicing & that I complied fully with the manufacturer's servicing standard. It wasn't a threat, it was a word to the wise. Hope this helps.

cheers, HR

cormorant
23-09-2008, 01:49 AM
The cylinders I have have no expiry date. They are xxgrams and I weigh them annually to confirm charge and check them visually for any damage. On the way it is written it seem that the recharge kits possibly can't be owner service even though they sell em an give you instructions.

Some of the newer PFd inflatables are being made with a service life printed on them - some as little as 3 years and boxes to be marked off after every deployment and annually.

Perhaps everytime they pull up next to us we should have to pull the cord to prove they work !!!!!!!!!!! as they are not really a PDF1 until deployed. Of course deployment or unpacking to check date on valaise requires a repack and that's another box filled in of the limited 5 you have.

I keep proper jackets in the cabin, on bars we use them and on inspection we show those. We wear inflatables that we self service just about all the rest of the time especially when solo.

Next arguement is that all equipment on the boat has to be servicable - don't knw - sort of like if you have nav lights fitted and it is daylight do they have to work??? I now an example where the owner was asked to return to the ramp. He removed both nav lights and then went out and men in hats were not amused.

fishing111
23-09-2008, 08:07 AM
I've posted this before in PFD thread,but wondering what the rule of law is also?

This is off the Stormy website. The service period for recreational users is recomended annually.I'm not sure what would happen if you got pulled over and were asked to present your servicing regime as it only states reccomended?

Am I required to have my Stormy serviced?

Commercial users under survey are required to have their Stormy serviced annually. For other users it is recommended. - Servicing prolongs the life of the garment.
- The chamber is pressure tested, the valves and O rings checked and the garment is cleaned.
- Allow approximately 3 days for a service.
- A certificate of compliance is issued after each service.

Hornet Rider
23-09-2008, 09:29 AM
I've posted this before in PFD thread,but wondering what the rule of law is also?

Am I required to have my Stormy serviced?

Commercial users under survey are required to have their Stormy serviced annually. For other users it is recommended. - Servicing prolongs the life of the garment.
- The chamber is pressure tested, the valves and O rings checked and the garment is cleaned.
- Allow approximately 3 days for a service.
- A certificate of compliance is issued after each service.

paul, it's clear as mud yes? I don't know the answer but two blokes at MSQ Standards Branch who I've found to be helpful & consistent in their advice who you could check with are:

Ken Gray, Senior Advisor Maritime Policy Development and Evaluation, Safety Standards Branch, Maritime Safety Queensland, GPO Box 2595, Brisbane Qld 4001, t: 07 3120 7352, f: 07 3120 7355, kenneth.r.gray@msq.qld.gov.au (kenneth.r.gray@msq.qld.gov.au)

Tony Menezes, Senior Advisor Maritime, Safety Standards Branch, Policy Implementation & Support, Tel: 07 3120 7360, Fax: 07 3120 7355, anthony.m.menezes@msq.qld.gov.au

Like cormorant, I also carry other PFD 1's for rough condition contingencies, bar crossing, deliberate entry into the water etc. I wear an inflatable PFD 1, & require any POB to also wear one, firstly to ensure they have something to help keep them afloat if they go over the side, & secondly because you don't even know the thing is on so their fun, fishing etc isn't cramped. My inflatable PFD's are on a 12 mth service cycle.

cheers, HR

oldboot
23-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Sounds to me like these inflatable PFD's are a compliance nightmare.

Dot 1 is easy enough and you wouldnt buy a vest that isn't spec'd to the standard and marked PFD1 like any other.

Dot 2 could be a trap.... must show a ledgible expiry date..........something to check when purchasing
MUST be serviced by manufacturer...........

Dot 3..... well this could be a good clause, but take care with the detail........ does not have expiry date..............established and documented servicing programe.
......documentear evidence of adherance.

Now I can imagine there will be lots of hopefull people out there, but if the text above represents the regulation.......( clarification would be good)
then

If it has a ledgible expiry date it has to be serviced by the manufacturer or agent.

if it does not have an expiry date.... you can probably service it... as long as you take note of the ANDs.

I do not believe that availabilty of kits and instructions for using the kits will pass and a "documented servicing programe"
I would expect a documented servicing programe to include. service intervals, methods of inspection and instructions on replacing service parts as a minimum.
AND I would expect it to be presented specificaly as a service programe.

As for "Documentary evidence of adherance", I do not believe that a recipt for parts will cut it.
Consistent with other areas such as calibration of test equipment and testing of electrical equipment I would expect a log book or a collection of work sheets.
the empahsis is on showing adherance to the programe not just the last time the item is serviced.
A recipt for parts is proof of nothing apart from the purchase of parts.

If I was to own and service my own inflatable PFD....( I am thinking about it)....( not looking hopeful)
( on the evidence above)
I would firstly be sure of the details before I purchased.
1. complies with the recognised standards
2. does not have an expiry date
3. the manufacturer provides a DOCUMENTED servicing programe.
I would want to read the programe prior to purchase.
Do I need anything special to comply. (do I need to do a preasure test and do I need calibrated equipment to comply)
4.The items required for service are available and at a reasonable price.
I would then
establish a log book that contained places to confirm every step of the servicing programe with a signature and name of tester for each and keep all recipts.

Then i'll ask my self " Is it all worthwhile".
Or is it like fire extinguishers and gass bottles and not worth testing them when they get out of date.

Are these inflatable PFD's like many other things a single use item that is only viable if you throw it out when its date is up.

cheers

Hornet Rider
23-09-2008, 06:10 PM
oldboot, because they are a lifesaving / life preservation device I won't cut corners - for me it's servicing by an a accredited agency. If you want to chew the fat on some of the issues you've considered you could give Mike Towler of PFD Performance Flotation Developments a call on 07-3856 5400 or email him at admin@ultrapfd.com. He can provide servicing advice to you.

cheers, HR

Mike Delisser
23-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Make sure you check the expiry date on an inflatable PFD at time of purchase, I've seen PFD's close to and even past their use by dates sitting on the shelves at both B#F & Ana###da.
Cheers

artesian
23-09-2008, 10:08 PM
check these Frequently Asked Questions from the MSQ website

http://pan.search.qld.gov.au/search/search.cgi?num_ranks=10&tiers=off&collection=qld-gov&profile=maritime-safety&query=seervice+inflatable+pfd