PDA

View Full Version : Dry Centre Console

diver
22-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Hi, thinking about a centre console boat. I here they are wet boats. Is it possible to get one with a T top bimini and then have side curtains to the floor either side of the console from the bimini. I imagine i would only need to drop the one side where the weather is comming from which would allow easy acces from one side of the helm. The curtain would protect the helm from weather from the side but still allow acces up the side of the boat to the bow.

I favour the seat box rather than the one helm chair. i was thinking of a 5m boat such as the trailcraft pro fish. plan to do some diving fishing and try and use it for some beach launches

So there probably is a reason that the T top and side curtain is not that common or maybe it is a workable solution. the centre console appeal for a better ride with the helm postion further from the bow than a runnabout with good access around the boat.

I have a 5m fibreglass cuddy cab at the moment so any advice as to whether this is a good move would be appreciated....Thanks Peter

Hornet Rider
23-09-2008, 12:51 AM
diver, I've wished a few times for side clears/curtains on my cc, especially when I'm getting soaked & it's cold & windy, but it's big surface area, even with only one clear/side curtain down & that can turn it into a sail which will affect the handling of the boat, especially with a T top. The T top already influences boat handling when moving & which can be pronounced if wind is on your quarter or half. Depends on the weight of your boat of course.

cheers, HR

Noelm
23-09-2008, 08:50 AM
all those things you mention are possible, it is just a compromise on space, handling and convenience, if you are going to all that trouble, why not get a Centre Cab in the first place? rather than "building" a plastic/clears one, I guess it all comes down the the simple fact that for a Fishing Boat a Centre Console is the best there is, BUT there is the compromise on comfort and dryness, as the old saying goes, "you can't have everything"

GBC
23-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Ours has full front and side clears running off the staino targa.
The panels each side of the console area zipped to form a door on each side which helps for forward access etc, and they can be rolled up when no needed.
A great addition when with the misses and kids etc.

Lovey80
02-10-2008, 05:51 AM
Below is a photo of my CC 4.3 Webster. I have only used the full clears a few times and it was absolutely belting down and windy. I bought the boat second hand and suspect that this set up is quite expensive. The problem with the clears even just the front one is that the only time i use them is when its belting down, windy or just plain freezing, When its cold it is awesom when anchored but when windy it get blown around a lot at anchor or when drifting and can be more hasle than in its worth. Theres a photo below that may give you a few idea's. The whole bimini frame is very strong when all the clears are done up and clipped down.

Cheers

Chris