PDA

View Full Version : Borumba Slog

theshortman
22-09-2008, 01:54 PM
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq233/theshortman2/Borumba%20Dam%2021st%20September%202008/BorumbaDam005.jpgHi Hi all,

Was chatting to some of you last week about heading up Kin Kin creek, and with all the rain and fear of bad water clarity we adjusted our plans and went up to Borumba Dam for a go.

Kinda wished we'd gone to bloody Kin Kin....

Fishing out there was TOUGH. We got 1 Bass and i droped something that turned and spooked at the boat (probably a Toga). The Bass seemed to be holding in the deep water just up the Yabba Arm, we found them on the sounder later in the day but they had a nasty case of lockjaw.

Even the Toga were toey! I spotted several, they seemed to be up both arms handing around anything that had foilage still intact to provide shade but they were super spooky! I even broke the fly rod out with no luck!

I managed to hit one massive toga right on the back of the head with a lure accidentally. I had'nt actually seen him but when the lure landed down he nearly cleared the water - it had to be 90cms of Toga! Biggest i've seen in Borumba.

On report back at the ramp, there were 6 or 7 boats coming back in and no one we spoke to had found a single fish! Fisheries Inspectors pulled us over for a random check in the afternoon and they also said no one they had spoek to had caught a thing. That made me feel a bit better about the 1 bass we found. At least i got to try out my new Camera on a fish finally... Photo is hereabouts. Camera is a Nikkon D60.

Interesting to hear how anyone else went....

Cheers

Shorty

ffejsmada
22-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Shortman, we fished there yesterday in a comp put on by a tewantin tackle shop.

11 boats and 22 anglers fished for 7 hours and landed 1 bass, 2 yellas and 1 small toga!:o Tough going alright!

Funny thing though, we also saw a toga sunbaking we estimated to be close to a metre, we actually thought it was a log!
I'm starting to think it was a lungfish. It was massive, do lungfish sunbake????

Heaps of fish on the sounder, but not hungry at all. Saw a few smaller toga swimming around as well but very flighty and not hungry.

Great place though, beautiful.

Jeff.

theshortman
22-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Wow Jeff!!! That is amazingly tough going! I had thought it was shut down but 4 fish between that many boats does my head in!!!

Without sounding like too much of a tosser, i do fancy myself as a pretty savvy lure fisherman! I was demoralized when i left Borumba on Saturday... felt completely beaten! I can't actually remember going for a fish with lures and not catching something in many years, even if it wasnt a target species i'd get SOMETHING! The fact that my fishng partner scored the bass sucks.

Interesting you saw those toga too!!! I'd be real keen to latch on to one of those metery size fish! They would be a riot!

Thanks for posting the feedback on your day though... i really don't feel quite so bad! We can share the love.....

Shorty

eotbmg
22-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Yeah Jeff
I have nearlly leccied over a lung fish accidently, didnt he go crazy when he relised a minn kota blade was not so friendly and he hit me with a tail ful of water!!
Ben

ethan1
23-09-2008, 07:08 PM
have also had real tuff sessions before at borumba, but when it fires, late oct early nove. they are soon forgotten. Fresh water fishing is no picnic, A few of my mates cant understand why we fish the dams, as there are so difficult, they,d rather soak a bait in the salt, but when you're into bass and toga on surface lures early morning or just on dark, you cant bet it. ;D

Bud-dy
23-09-2008, 09:48 PM
I thought that Toga breed this time of the year and as they are a mouth breeder ( keep there hatchlings in there mouth until ready to release ) so wilst you can see them it will almost be imposible to catch them ?
As for the bass they are in a freaky mood as they haven't been able to get to briny water to breed so they are a bit confused/sulky.
Paul

darylive
23-09-2008, 10:20 PM
That makes sense Paul. Thanks. Your right Mum isn't going to spit the kids out for a lure. Probably a good thing.

theshortman
23-09-2008, 10:43 PM
interesting theories on the toga not chewing while they breed... thing is the male and female supposedly take turns to mouth the young so you would expect one of them would be eating! i absolutely love freshwater fishing though and wouldnt change a thing. i just tend to stick to wild river bass usually and dare i admit once you know where they are they are easirr to catch.ill be back at borumba.... but ill wait until i hear some people are getting a few first! in the mean time im of to chase some wild river bass on monday in my old favourite spot. ill let you know how we get on early next week.shorty.

Cammy
23-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Good fish anyhow, its good to get out and enjoy the scenery. Theres always next time

ffejsmada
24-09-2008, 11:33 AM
As for the bass they are in a freaky mood as they haven't been able to get to briny water to breed so they are a bit confused/sulky.
Paul

Don't know about that theory Paul.:-/

The week before there was plenty getting caught down deep.

I guess we'll never know fully as to why fish shut down. Only the fish can tell us why, and we don't speak fish.:) ;)

darylive
24-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Shorty, Where do you chase the 'wild ones' ?

theshortman
24-09-2008, 06:52 PM
would love to tell you where i get the wild ones, but on the sunshine coast, they are gold in small amounts that i just can't share responsibly. If your after them the Noosa river is always there, but i don't bother usually. All i can say is go chuck lures in some rivers and see what you come up with. My secret spot will remain exactly that....

.. hope no offence is taken.:-X

darylive
27-09-2008, 12:40 AM
Good on ya mate