PDA

View Full Version : Tamworth and surrounding areas for trout.

blackjew
22-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Gday to all well this is a huge change from hooking up the boat putting $120 bucks of fuel $60 bucks of bait ,a roast chook and some bread rolls a few beers and a coke or 2,then you have to find a mate or 2 to help pay for it all lol..ive recently moved from Darwin NT ,to Tamworth NSW. to be with my new found internet sweetheart.The trout season is fast approaching ,and ive been madly buying lures on ebay ,i got a good spinner rod for 20 bucks i have a good reel,now back to the lures ,ive got some Tassie Devils ,and some celta spinners ,i think the Devils are to big but ill have to find a deep river i guess.A mate told me his dad wraps a hook in ciggy paper the foil part and lets it float down stream with great success,hmmmmm ive checked the ausfish site and have found a few pointers that i will put to use,i also bought a online book called HOW TO CATCH A TROUT EVERYTIME ,BY NICK ANIKIJENKO ,man you almost need to have a degree in physics to catch a trout well a decent one anyway,what clothes to were ,dont stand up to tall,put charcoal on your hands ,get a thermometer dont fish at luchtime and so much more.what i need now please is were to fish ive asked a few people but like any spot its secret,and they just say up near ebor ,or gloucestor,any places please were you can fish and set up a tent would be great cheers for now Rob..:)

vinny78
22-09-2008, 02:34 PM
G'day Rob,

Mate I grew up about 90km south of Tamworth at a little place called Blandford. My Grandfather owned a property up on the Barrington Tops. I used to fish the streams up there for Rainbow Trout- and Pop stocked them in his dams too- but truth be told I think the pickings are pretty slim these days.

If I were you I'd forget the Trout and chase some cod. There's excellent cod country just a couple of hours drive north of you. I'm sure blokes on here like bdowdy ( my cousin ) can point you in the right places.

Another option is to go a little way south and target Bass. Glenbawn Dam just out of Scone is a well stocked Bass impoundment.

Cheers, Andrew

blackjew
22-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks Andrew for the input ,ill keep the cod in mind ,ive got heaps of deep barra lures that work on cod.Cheers Rob..

2manylures
22-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Rob, Once you know what sort of water {lake or river-I'm not familiar with your area} that you are fishing email or pm me & i'll do my best to put you on the right track re catching these not so wiley fish.

I have been fishing them since I could hold a rod & they aren't as difficult or moreso technical as many would have you believe.

River/Creeks as opposed to lakes are totally different with some similar methods.

Don't waste anymore money on lures prior to knowing where.

Only too happy to help wherever possible, love my Trout.

stick
23-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Grew up in tamworth myself. Moved away a few years back now so i guess i can let a couple slip. The best spot by far used to be below the Dungowan dam wall. Used to be well stocked and the dam water was always cold compared to further downstream where it joins the peel. Drought may have knocked them out. Any of the rivers in the New England National Park below the Ebor trout hatchery are worth a try. Great water and open enough to use fly gear but the fish were always much more wary. Barrington Tops good but need rough 4by or bike to get right in. Very scruby in the best spots. Nothin more deadly than a worm on a longshank floated down the rapids into a deep hole. How un-sporting to you boffins. rainbows are super aggresive if not spooked so yes you should squat, dont throw your arms around and if you can help it dont walk through the rapids till your finished fishing the hole. If you havent caught one in 5 min walk to the next spot with one eye on the water and the other on the slippery fella sunbaking on the other side of the log your about to jump. Try a good fishing (not drinking) club. They get the best access. The blokes at Nemingah Hotel very good.

Bear001
23-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Hey Blackjew-sorry cant help you with trout - not my cup of tea. Go & see Dean at Tamworth Fishing Tackle.

If you want info on cod/yella's etc - give me a PM. Im out at Manilla.

Cin

scoocer101
23-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Ive fished for trout a couple times on our way down to melbourne. Some good spots to try is the river that runs through the hatchery at ebor, i think there was a few creeks around Armidale looked very fishy and also there are some creeks running off the river at ebor that looked good, u can fish above the wall near the hatchery at ebor where it flows through the hactery, apprently there are some big brown trout there.

When we fished the river at ebor we stayed at the litle hotel just beside the highway there and pitched our tent behind the pub and we were about 30m from the river. At the time the river was in flood and we used scrub worms on a long shank which worked wonders and also my dad caught a couple on the pink tassie devils casting downstream and working it bak up . Its a great little spot.
Hope this helps u in anyway.

scoocer

tunaticer
25-09-2008, 07:32 PM
How far up the New England Highway can you find trout?
I just finished driving back from Tamworth tonight and there are litterally hundreds of streams creeks and rivers between Armidale and the Qld border.

Deepwater creek and others of its like look extremely fishy but I do not know if the area is a trout area.

Did the drive out to Ebor and there are lots of streams etc in the area as well, but I get the gist that most of them are not trout streams??

Guy Fawkes National Parkis one good looking area worth a week or two investigation tho.

Jack.

rob tranter
26-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Rob

I will be fishing at Ebor on the Long weekend sometime.
Fisheries stock around 12 creeks and rivers in the area with rainbows and browns, so size varies

As far as Tamworth is concerned, old mate wasn't far off with Dungowan Dam, access can be a problem as they don't like you fishing near it to much.
Indise the dam is alive but not sure about the run out side.

Nundle area fishes well, even the peel down below the Pub.
Bowling ally point has a creek that runs into the peel, wonder up it for a while, but watch out for the joe blakes.

Above Nundle is Hanging Rock, with Sheeba Dams, these two small dams are stocked yearly, bait works best, wood grubbs and worms.

Just out of Hanging Rock is a creek on the walcha road, have a play there as the overflow from Sheeba Dams runs into this creek and the Trout end up there, Sheeba can be fished all year.

The McDonald River in the Walcha district (runs through Walcha) is another gooden and you can access it at Bendemeer and the Bendy Pub's a great place as well.

Mate you will find that the longer you are there the more places you will find, celtas work the best in these areas as they are all shallow, and different colours for different water. tassie devils for me are more for lakes. Rolling a bait out of the rapids into a pool as said works a treat.

Don't forget in NSW you need a Fishing Licence.

You should have stayed in Darwin, I just had a week up there and thought it was great.

You don't get huge trout here, except for the odd big farmed one released around Ebor, up to 17kg.
The average for the places I have mentioned (and I know of some more) is around 32cm long, not a loy of weight, but according to fish eaters they taste, good.

P.m. me if you want more.

Rob T8-)

Copeton Catcher
28-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Not a great deal around Tamworth, but there is more options around Armidale, problem is that 95% of the access is on private property.

A great place to pitch and tent and catch Rainbow trout and Redfin is Dumaresq Dam 5 mins drive west of Armidale.

Rivers that you will want to target around Armidale are Boorolong, Woolomombi, closer to Tamworth west of Walcha is the MacDonald.

East of Armidale out Ebor way the rivers to look at are Serpentine River, Jocks Waters, and the Guy Fawkes river.

If you travel up to Armidale speak to Scott at Boots Great Outdoors.

Cheers

Phil

rob tranter
29-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Another thing Rob,

Fisheries has a pamphlet with "SUPPOSED" Trout Rivers, Creeks and Streams, it is worth a look.

Tunachaser,

Most of those streams you passed would hold Trout in some parts.
I have fished streams no wider than three or four feet, and only six or eight inches deep, NOWANDOC River's upper reaches, and small creeks around Niangla,and have caught legal Trout,(25cm), it's good like that because most people look at them and think, no way would fish be in something so small, so they walk on past to find deeper, wider water.
Never walk past, always have a go.

Not sure if you would remember crossing a creek on your way to Ebor called Oakey Creek, very narrow, shallow and overgrown, but it has Trout, not a lot, and no great size, but they're there., Rob this is about where they start when your heading to Ebor,(fisheries release little feelas in there.

Cheers
Rob T8-)

Just had a look at setthehook's fresh report, have a read and definitely have a look at the pic's, no idea where he went but i nice dam and great rainbow's.
Put's my claim on not a lot of size to shame, although I am talking Creeks, not Dams.

wooleybuggered
29-10-2008, 10:40 AM
:D i know this is an old post but if you read this send us a reply as if you want trout fishing there is plenty in a short drive from tamworth, the fish arent huge but the stealth in catching them makes up for it. i can direct you into some places to fish as i go quite a bit. and i live in tamworth