PDA

View Full Version : optimax 75 vs honda 75

tippers
22-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Hey guys and girls,

Just after some advice on fuel consumption between opti 75 and Honda 75, I have heard optimax direct injection outboards have a similar consumption to that of the Hondas?? Is this correct, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Spaniard_King
22-09-2008, 05:47 PM
The New Honda 75 is state of the art technology and a fuel miser, I doubt the opti would come close to it for economy but this is just my opinion.

I don't see anyone being able to give you a direct comparison, but I guess something is beter than nothing.

Jeremy
22-09-2008, 06:16 PM
I am also looking for a new 70-75 hp outboard. Have a look at ########.com and search for engine reviews. There is some good stuff there. From what I could work out from the tests, the opti and ETEC both did around 2.5-3 km/litre. Not all that impressive. Most folks I have talked to believe that 4 strokes will give better economy and last longer.

Weight may also be an issue. The opti 75 is 170 kg and the ETEC 75 138 kg. Most 4 strokes seem to be somewhere in between.

Jeremy

Jeremy
23-09-2008, 08:05 AM
google 'boat' and 'test' and you will find the site. Also check out 'boat' 'point', they have some good reviews.

Jeremy

Noelm
23-09-2008, 08:12 AM
I kind of think the fuel use would be pretty close when it is all said and done, both Motors are "modern" technology, one may use a tad more at (say) idle/troll but may use a bit more at cruise, so all in all the difference will be not a lot, just get whichever Motor you like, other wise you will be forever thinking, "geees I wish I had of got the . . .

Coontakinta
23-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Tippers, as a fan of the DI's I'd usually say go the optimax, but if the Honda is injected, I'd say go with it. The opti is huge, and in my experience with the 75, a bit of a cluncker, no where near as smooth as the TLDI90 on the back of my boat. The opti kills mine for power however.

I expect the honda to be the pick of the two in noise levels, and smoothness.

Just my view however

FNQCairns
23-09-2008, 10:07 AM
The optimax will blow the doors right off the Honda on any same hull, the Honda uses the same block as the 90 in it's range, suspect the Opti 75 would also blow the doors of the 90 as well until very high in the rev range.

As mentioned above and because you mentioned that particular powerhouse 75 hp the fuel economy will be very good on any hull one would also consider fitting the Honda 75. The bigger pitch prop the Opti can spin in comparison means it might have a higher L/H but the L used to travel any distance will be comparable or not impossibly, actually better with a typical fishing boat load.

Still I bet the Honda is silky smooth you wouldnt know it was there in comparison to the opti not that the opti is that rough either.

Suspect the opti could carry 500kg more weight and still keep up with the honda in a race or fast cruise.

cheers fnq