PDA

View Full Version : can you help me bag an Awoonga barra?

reel overtime
21-09-2008, 09:09 PM
I get my outsider this coming sunday, so my girl and i are going to take it to awoonga for our first voyage.

I overheard the owner of the houseboats talking today and the barra are biting, some person got 13 apparently.

So... i was wondering if i could pick your brain for some tactics on how to track them down and hook some up.

I've never fished for barra before so its all new to me.

I have a fishing mag that suggests lures to use etc, so i'll grab a few lures of what they recomend, But if i had local pro knowledge it might make my learning curve a bit easier.

Does anyone have marks for awonga for structure or ledges or should i just track down something myself?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,
Todd

eotbmg
21-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Hey mate,
Do a search of the Freshwater reports section on Awoonga barra, and you will find everything and more on their habits and whats happening...... From all reports last weekend fired up but 7 days is a long time in fishing. Hope for stable weather patterns and be prepared to work HARD for them...the days of chucking a crap lure over board and trolling it, and landing a meter plus are over. Work the weed edges, tis is where the bait hides and so do the barra
Good luck
Ben

Nomad62
22-09-2008, 07:13 AM
Hi Todd,
We were at Awoonga this weekend gone........we got 8 fish on Saturday......1 @ 105cm dropped another about the same size and the rest were between 80cm and 90cm. Best time during the day was late afternoon.

However they are getting really good numbers during the night.....probably the 13 you speak of. Start casting wide of the area you want to fish (deeper Water)and work your way to the shallower weed edges, also working your way into the bays. The points have had their fair share as well.

Slick rigs and B52s were working for us.....but anythings worth a try. We seen lots of fish sitting in deeper water during the day on the sounder, but couldn't get them to play. These fish were probably moving into the shallower water of a night and feeding.

As the weather warms up the fish will become more active during the day......remmember every day is different so you need be flexible.

Cheers Nomad

blackjew
22-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Hi Tod well mate i dont even know were Awoonga is but ive fished alot in the NT,ill tell you a secret i dont tell many people this and the ones i do just laugh,try and pick a full moon and no cloud nice and bright , so you can sea the barra cruising on the surface well you wont see the fish but you will see the wake they make,you will see there wake as they cruize in search of a feed ,when you see a wake aim your lure it dosnt matter what coulour just make sure you have at least 3 sets of hooks now pitch it at the wake and land your lure on the wake the barra thinks its food and snap then hang on .Cheers Rob..

vet
22-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Hi Todd, as Nomad has said the night time bite last week was sensational, we landed 14 on our worst night of the week, but this will not be happening this weekend as the moon will be non existent. Spend your afternoons and mid mornings fishing. I suspect that the outsider will have no electric, so anchoring is the only option for you. Find any windy bay and fish the rough side of it, anchor up in 12 feet and cast in and along the bay or point, better still if there is a deeper water creek running through the bay. Set up position early, have a beer to let the barra settle down after you disturb them with the outboard, then start casting. Good luck, scott.

Barraboy7
24-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Yes, do all Vet has mentioned and also make sure your gear is strong because they will trash you otherwise. My son and I just fished Awoonga for Monday and Tuesday, first afternoon 5 with local guide Johnny Mitchell, and second day 7 ourselves.We nailed 12 fish, inc 4 over the meter and my PB of 109.5cm.
I would suggest you seriously consider using a guide on one afternoon as they will ramp you up a lot, money well spent, and token to what you will spend on boat and gear.
You MUST read up on all the threads on tackle, lures and hold on hard as these wfish fight like crazy. Dont buy lures like crazy, get some good hardbodies like Barra Classics, Riedys B52s (large) and some soft plastics like Berkley Mullets, Squidgy slick rigs.
best of Luck
Barraboy7