PDA

View Full Version : Agnes/1770 - without the dribble...

gofishin
20-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Hi all,

Well I wasn’t getting my hopes up too much, but it looks like the new boat will be ready in time for the 1770 trip…just!:D By then it will have probably only been out the previous weekend, and I have a shipload to learn about the new electronics etc (and some of the manuals are pretty average – I know what Timiboy means now), not to mention all that ‘extra stuff’ one normally needs to do with a new boat, but what better place to break her in and learn the new boat…. Another few weeks 'training/messing around time' would be good though:-/ !

Will actually be up with the missus & kids as a family holiday, with a big emphasis on boating & fishing.

First time to 1770 (as a boatie), so any tips would be appreciated; i.e. ramp/parking facilities, channel/bar (tide dependant?), channels monitored by local CG, good close in spots (if I have the kids on board) for bottom bashing, plus pelagics etc (That’s just another thing I have to do, resurrect enough fishing gear for the trip – most of which is in boxes! Think I can leave the 24kg & 37kg bent butts in boxes though, oops, no chair anyway)

Any help appreciated. Darren, good recent post in the ‘official thread’, didn’t read all the 34 other pages, but I don’t think there was much else in the way of ‘tips/advice’;D ;D LOL.

If the new girl behaves herself (i.e. no teething problems), and the weather is good, we will head out to Musgrave too. Not sure yet if PBA have a trip planned. Other than Darren & Newbe, who is going with the ausfish mini M&G?

If you see me about, say g’day; 685 Outsider ‘Karma Cruisen’, white hull/deck & burgundy canvas, yam F250, ally skid trailer & white STX Navara d/cab.

Cheers
Brendon

PS. I am with the PBA guys, but don’t hold that against me.;)
PSS. Keep the dribble, sorry, friendly banter, to the other post.;D
PSSS. Brief description/pic of your boat so I can say g’day. Sorry, I don’t have a photo, she’s not finished being built yet.:o

Lucky_Phill
21-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Brendon,

All info can be gleaned from the Saturday night at the Cook-Off which is an Ausfish affair, but the PBA guys are more than welcome to attend.

What you have to do now is decide if you are :-

1..... fishing alone

2..... fishing as a PBA member

3..... fishing as an Ausfisher

You will be aware of the PBA V Ausfish...Fish-Off... ?

The ' friendly banter ' that is on the " Official " M & G thread is between those that have put their hands up for another week of Agnes Water / 1770 M & G fun. That banter is part and parcel of the M & G.

One of the best people to ask about 1770 is Kitty Cat, ( Wayne ) PBA member and 1770 regular.

I recieved your email.....cheers Phill

gofishin
28-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Hi Phill,
Thanks for the info, will be fishing as a PBA member. As far as I know we (PBA) have a BBQ on the Sat night, but no doubt there will be some mingling. Yep, heard about the Fish-Off, apparently it's been in the Ausfish trophy room for the last few years!

The ' friendly banter ' that is on the " Official " M & G thread is between those that have put their hands up for another week of Agnes Water / 1770 M & G fun. That banter is part and parcel of the M & G.
Yep, fully understand. The title was obviously a poor attempt at humour on my part - apologies if I offended anyone. What I meant was to use this thread as a hints/tips thread etc.

Thanks for the tip, I will send Wayne a PM.
cheers

thedeckie
28-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Hi Phill,
Thanks for the info, will be fishing as a PBA member. As far as I know we (PBA) have a BBQ on the Sat night, but no doubt there will be some mingling. Yep, heard about the Fish-Off, apparently it's been in the Ausfish trophy room for the last few years!
Yep, fully understand. The title was obviously a poor attempt at humour on my part - apologies if I offended anyone. What I meant was to use this thread as a hints/tips thread etc.

Thanks for the tip, I will send Wayne a PM.
cheers

No need to apologise Brendon, you are correct, it is mostly dribble, including myself.;D

Humour is watching Chong getting home after a skinful and the faces on the PBA guys when an Ausfish member weighs in the heaviest red.......now thats humour.

Cheers

Paul

murf
28-09-2008, 07:49 PM
its a shame you are with the Plastic boaters as all the info you require will be on hand in an exceptionally professional format at the A/F cook off:P

bugger now I just dribbled over here too:-[

have fun with the new boat and I hope all pans out for you

cheers Murf

NEWBY
29-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Hi all,

Well I wasn’t getting my hopes up too much, but it looks like the new boat will be ready in time for the 1770 trip…just!:D By then it will have probably only been out the previous weekend, and I have a shipload to learn about the new electronics etc (and some of the manuals are pretty average – I know what Timiboy means now), not to mention all that ‘extra stuff’ one normally needs to do with a new boat, but what better place to break her in and learn the new boat…. Another few weeks 'training/messing around time' would be good though:-/ !

Will actually be up with the missus & kids as a family holiday, with a big emphasis on boating & fishing.

First time to 1770 (as a boatie), so any tips would be appreciated; i.e. ramp/parking facilities, channel/bar (tide dependant?), channels monitored by local CG, good close in spots (if I have the kids on board) for bottom bashing, plus pelagics etc (That’s just another thing I have to do, resurrect enough fishing gear for the trip – most of which is in boxes! Think I can leave the 24kg & 37kg bent butts in boxes though, oops, no chair anyway)

Any help appreciated. Darren, good recent post in the ‘official thread’, didn’t read all the 34 other pages, but I don’t think there was much else in the way of ‘tips/advice’;D ;D LOL.

If the new girl behaves herself (i.e. no teething problems), and the weather is good, we will head out to Musgrave too. Not sure yet if PBA have a trip planned. Other than Darren & Newbe, who is going with the ausfish mini M&G?

If you see me about, say g’day; 685 Outsider ‘Karma Cruisen’, white hull/deck & burgundy canvas, yam F250, ally skid trailer & white STX Navara d/cab.

Cheers
Brendon

PS. I am with the PBA guys, but don’t hold that against me.;)
PSS. Keep the dribble, sorry, friendly banter, to the other post.;D
PSSS. Brief description/pic of your boat so I can say g’day. Sorry, I don’t have a photo, she’s not finished being built yet.:o
Gees mate I was about to give you a heap of really good info about the waters around 1770 and stuff but then I read the whole post and saw you are a PBA man. No wonder you need help...;)
The sand bar/channel out of agnes can be tricky but the best thing to do is follow the charter boat out first time. They know that channel and know where it moves to. You should be right at all tides hoever in your boat. i am guessing it draws about 40-50cm of water at most.
Cant help you with the fishing spots (Cause your PBA) but if you have the kids on board and want some fun, head around to the point and drift a pillie into the channel. I have pcked up some huge mackie there and there are plenty of spotties willing to take your bait.
Plenty of whiting and flathead in the creek plus jack etc further up.
Rocks off Bustard Heads (inner and outer) are good for trevors and mackies with the odd cobia.
And the best REDS spot in Australia is....oops, cant tell you that one mate.

gofishin
29-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Thanks guys.

Paul, well maybe, but by the sound of it there won't be too many Ausfishers fishing on the Sunday;D, we might get a head start that day.

Murf, used to be with the tin brigade, well er, techically I still am but that's another story. Yep, back to the FRP for some comfort;) , just have to watch out for those nasty rocky beaches close to some ramps.

Thanks for the tips Newby. Is that a 35 Bertie in your avitar? Nice boat mate, what donks?
cheers

NEWBY
30-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Thanks guys.

Paul, well maybe, but by the sound of it there won't be too many Ausfishers fishing on the Sunday;D, we might get a head start that day.

Murf, used to be with the tin brigade, well er, techically I still am but that's another story. Yep, back to the FRP for some comfort;) , just have to watch out for those nasty rocky beaches close to some ramps.

Thanks for the tips Newby. Is that a 35 Bertie in your avitar? Nice boat mate, what donks?
cheers

Hi Mate, firstly, you underestimate the Ausfishers as we will ALL be out on Sunday. Were a fair bit tougher and more seasoned than PBA boys.

The Berty, yeah it is a 35' and has twin Volvo TAMD 60b's Turbo Diesel, 265hp in her guzzling around 75 ltrs per hour.

Old thing. 1982 model but still a brilliant sea boat.

You'll have to hook up with us for a quiety or 2 out at Musgrave, weather permitting.

TimiBoy
30-09-2008, 08:07 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but who are these evil PBA people?

Cheers,

Tim

NEWBY
30-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but who are these evil PBA people?

Cheers,

Tim
No problem Tim. Your not expected to know as they are a little known group of wannabe fishers that coul not cut the grade as far as being Ausfishers.
They are sorta the B grade of Ausfish at the annual M&G in Agnes;D

TimiBoy
30-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Ah, thankyou. I can't wait to thumb my nose at them at Agnes!;D;D;D

You too, Brendon!:P

Cheers,

Tim

gofishin
30-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Yeah, take the pi$$ all you like this year guys, but next year watch out... :-*

Yes, weather permitting we will be at Lady M, so will say hello. However, will probably disconnect from raft-up of boats early on, before you rum drinkers get too rowdy;D as I will have the missus & kids on board ;) .

Looked at some U-tube footage of the LM lagoon last night & it looks great! Just like the good old days in PNG - God's 'boating' counrty. There looks to be two separate channels into the lagoon, either side of a large bombie, is this right? I will have to review Darren's post again in the other thread.
Cheers
Brendon

NEWBY
01-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Yeah, take the pi$$ all you like this year guys, but next year watch out... :-*

Yes, weather permitting we will be at Lady M, so will say hello. However, will probably disconnect from raft-up of boats early on, before you rum drinkers get too rowdy;D as I will have the missus & kids on board ;) .

Looked at some U-tube footage of the LM lagoon last night & it looks great! Just like the good old days in PNG - God's 'boating' counrty. There looks to be two separate channels into the lagoon, either side of a large bombie, is this right? I will have to review Darren's post again in the other thread.
Cheers
Brendon
Mate, best to go in when sun is highest and you will see every bommie. (Use polaroids) Save the track and dont deviate from it when you come back in.
Its a pretty good lagoon though. Not too many hazards but a few have come unstuck in there.

kitty_cat
03-10-2008, 06:14 PM
mate dont worry about the ausfishers plenty of talk after all we have snapper on our side, cant wait now starting holidays today 7 sleeps to get the boat ready
see you monday for all the marks you will need
wayne

ps dont worry about newbs they tell me hes all talk (cant anchor i hear)

Lucky_Phill
03-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Timi, to answer your question...

PBA stands for Power Boat Anglers, a long standing Brisbane based offshore fishing club. They have a regular write-up in Bush'n'Beach mag.

Phill/
><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

gofishin
04-10-2008, 06:44 AM
...(Use polaroids) Save the track and dont deviate from it when you come back in... Yep, polaroids were a mandatory safety item in PNG, especially as most of the charts stated "Uncharted waters, beware of reefs...etc" No GPS in those days either, well not of any use anyway (8hrs for a fix at @$10k from memory!!). Don't know if I'll trust my GPS for a night entry yet, I'll get to know it first.

Gotta go & play with the new toy!
cheers