PDA

View Full Version : Fresh water, salt water, and Camping?

Damned67
18-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Hi Guys (and Gals),
Wasn't sure of the best place to post this as it pertains to both fresh and salt water fishing, along with camping.

Anyway, here's the deal:
Next month, the wife and our lovely daughter are heading down to Melbourne for a short holiday, and I thought it would be a great time for some father-son bonding with my 14 year old (Snag King, on this site). Actually, I try to taking him fishing most weekends,so it's not so much of a bonding experience, but a weekend of fishing.....

Recently, he has expressed a lot of interest in some sweetwater fishing, something neither of us have ever done, so this is what I'm thinking; head north out of Brisbane on a Friday morning, make camp and have an evening fish. Spend Saturday fishing, then pack up camp and move somewhere else for another evening fish/camp. Fish Sunday, camp, and head home Monday morning.
The plan would be to have one camp at a salty spot, then the other at a lake/impoundment.
I was originally thinking of 1770 and Lake Awoonga? but just read that during our proposed trip, there'll be a coral reef fin fish 'ban' in place. While our only water vessel will be our canoe, I'd hate to think that we might catch our first legal sized snapper, and have to throw it back. Ok, so that's not as bad as it might sound. It's all about the catch, right?

So, basically, I'm looking for suggestions/criticisms.
Would 1770 and Lake Awoonga be the best idea?
Maybe somewhere near Bundaberg and then Lake Monduran?
Maybe somewhere closer to home?

Sorry for the lengthy post, and thanks for any and all input!

Cheers!

mowerman
19-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Baffle creek and Monduran mate.

have fun

Rod.

Damned67
19-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Alright, the time is coming closer!

Baffle Creek is still in the zone for the upcoming reef fin fish closure, correct?

Maybe something further South?

Anyone know of any spots between Brisbane and say, Town of 1770, where we can camp on a river (fish and launch the canoe from the camping site), preferably also near a beach, that's also only a few hours drive from a freshwater lake/dam?

Maybe we're asking too much?

Anyway, at this point in time, it's a toss up between 1770/Awonga and Baffle Creek/Monduran.

Cheers!

Flex
19-10-2008, 11:50 AM
How about PeterFuast/Whitsundays? though the drive from brissy is about 12 hours. otherwise its a good choice IMO

Rodman
19-10-2008, 12:01 PM
What about Borumba sth of Gympie or Rainbow Beach , Rainbow Beach Holiday Park located at Carlo Point which is next to the Boat ramp you and your son could really bond by pumping yabbies which are within walking distance of this caravan park.

Ken

mylestom
19-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Impoundment recommendation is Monduran, (Awoonga has to much effect from wind etc for smaller water craft), closer to home as well.
Fred Haigh Dam (Lake Monduran is my favourite Impoundment for fishing and the experience). Taken the odd few people fishing and most say the same.

Leave it to the locals with the Salt experience as to what is best up that way.

Good luck with the decision process and enjoy the time with your son. They grow up quicker than you think.

Regards

Trev

darylive
19-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Mate,

Unless you want to spend most of your time driving consider the following.

Fresh Water, Wyvenhoe dam is no motor fishing and ideal for canoe, because there are no fuel power boats there is less crowd. Just up from there is somerset both nice lake for Bass. Further North is Imbil which is also very nice then you could head to Rainbow beach as some one already suggested.

Another option would be to set up camp on the Noosa river (Munna Point is nice) then you can fish the Noosa river salt and do a day trip (Half an hour) to lake Macdonald, again no fuel power so ideal for the canoe and fish for bass.

You could do Somerset and Mooloolaba. You could camp at Moolooaba and fish the Ewan Maddock for a day for Bass. All these options are closer to Brisbane than 1770 etc. Monduran is better for the canoe than Awonga if you are chasing Barra but Barra in a canoe? :-/

So I would recommend Somerset / Wyvenhoe then onto Mooloolaba.
or
Noosa (Munna point) and Lake Macdonald; a good option for the canoe. ;)
and some nice spots up the Noosa river to try for Mangrove Jack ;D
or
Imbil (Burumba) and then onto Rainbow beach.

Have a look at 'Gagaju' on the net, it is a camp on the Noosa river. From there you could fish lake Mcdonald for a day, go up the Noosa river or head to the beach for the day.

If your only vessel is a canoe the snapper might be a bit ambitious :)
Father and son time is truly something to be treasured. :D
Let is know how you go 8-)

Damned67
20-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks to all for the suggestions! Much appreciated!

Now the not-so-little fella (It's his 14th Birthday tomorrow) has decided he'd rather make a separate fresh water camping trip at a later date, so this trip is just salt water.

Our current choices/ideas are 1770, Baffle Creek or Rainbow Beach.
We'll be heading out on a Friday morning, and returning on the Monday, so the 6 hours drive to 1770 isn't too much of an effort. Rainbow Beach is attractive as it's only 3 hours drive, but hey, an extra 3 hours is not an issue if the fishing is better elsewhere. Actually, with that much time up our sleeves, I'd be happy to drive up to 8 hours for an even better fishing spot.

So, if you were restricted to land-based and a canoe, which would be your choice??

Thanks again to all for the time taken to make your previous suggestions

(Hey Daryl, we have actually caught plenty of snapper out of the canoe, just all undersized squire. Biggest so far was about 33cm to the fork. One day we'll land a legal one out of the canoe!)

Cheers!!!

darylive
21-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Carlo Point Rainbow will offer plenty of both land based and canoe opportunity. You could head up the estuary or fish the beach. :D

Baffle creek would also be fine for the canoe the bottom is very close to the top there Hence BAFFLE CREEK narrow channels from there it is just up the road to the beach, not fat to 1770. :)

Plenty of folk fish canoes out in Laguna bay off Noosa. There is a club I am sure, try the net you might find some kindred souls who fish the front of Noosa they do bring in some decent size fish with canoes there. ;D

Have a look at this http://www.fishingnoosa.com.au/tandem.htm 8-) (http://www.fishingnoosa.com.au/tandem.htm)

This will get the Boys heart pumping!