PDA

View Full Version : Bertram and Reefrunner free space...

wilcara
18-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Fellow flounderers, I have a dilemma.

I looked at a 20' Bertram (Bahia Mar) and checked out the available cockpit space for fishing. (I think its closer to a 21') I also had a lie down up front to see if my 6'2" fitted in there. I got a mental picture of everything, then drove 4 hours to look at a Caribbean Reef Runner 21' and did the same. Now the Reefy seemed to have the same length up front but a heap more cockpit space room.

I wonder if anybody is familiar with both boats and can enlighten me? I did not do any measurements, it is purely my sense at the time. I may well have been influenced by other factors as I was under tarps etc etc.

Are they the same or different?

FNQCairns
18-09-2008, 06:41 PM
I will have a stab, at different times I had a bit to do with both these hulls, the Bertram has more hull in the water and the Caribbean has in comparison a longer nose, this allows the Carribean cabin room to push up front more.

Where they both half cabins??

The Bertram is the better of the two to drive IMO but the Carribean is a better boat to own...work that out!::)

cheers fnq

wilcara
18-09-2008, 07:24 PM
The Bertram is the better of the two to drive IMO but the Carribean is a better boat to own...work that out!http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif

Yeah both the same config half cab deal. Identical on paper so I dunno what the story was.

Please expand your statement above? I am intrigued!

FNQCairns
18-09-2008, 07:40 PM
They are not identical in form though, and 2 different boats on the water, the Bertram was a better boat in response to driver input and at speed it was really nice, the Carribean although great was more of a lets slug it out at 4500rpm for the next 2.5h hours to go fishing sort of boat, which suits me best.

Both are still better than most anything that can be bought today in the same length although not as pretty and they will also require a bit more power.

cheers fnq

wilcara
18-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Carribean although great was more of a lets slug it out at 4500rpm for the next 2.5h hours to go fishing sort of boat, which suits me best.

Why???????????????????????????

chop duster
18-09-2008, 09:31 PM
I think BM is the person to ask regarding the bahia mar.
not sure about the reef runner.
Sorry i couldn't help more, good luck with it!

FNQCairns
18-09-2008, 09:48 PM
My family had a 23 my brother had a 20 I might be confusing the two, I used to go offshore in a reef runner often, non of the boats overlapped. I thought the Bertram and the reef runner had a different strake design but it might be the 23 that was different.

Interested now to hear what others think to refresh my memory I always thought the Caribbean was a nicer boat to work comfortably through the rough stuff on a trip.

Still better boats than anything else out there in many ways, the HH are nice too.

cheers fnq

ozscott
19-09-2008, 07:17 AM
My mate has the 70s Carrabean Reef Runner. It has been restored from top to bottom. It is the half cab 21 foot hull length with half cab. I thought that the Berty was a 20 foot hull length. Nice boat the Reefy. His had the V8 replaced with a V6 which isnt really powerful enough, but still does pretty well.

In the really rough it rides nicely. I wouldnt say there is much in it though between my 70s Seafarer Vagabond (19'6 hull length - 800kg bare hull with no motor etc) and his boat when it gets rough. His extra weight with the inboard down low probably makes it a little more stable, but it also means that it never planes as well as mine (even with his trim tabs on) because it bogs down in the rear somewhat. He has a nice new Vengence prop on too.

I prefer the look of my vagabond, but thats just me.

The Vagabond and the Reefy have the same fishing room due to the inboard in the Reefy, but the Vags cabin is quite a bit bigger and has a more airy feel about it.

Cheers

PS. The Crusader was the 23. My mate's floor and bulkhead at the cabin was full of rot despite no breaches of the gel coat. The Vag has no rot in the floor and cabin. I am more impressed by the build of the Vag over the Reefy, but they are both solid in the end.

ozscott
19-09-2008, 07:24 AM
Here is the Reefy next to my Vag - not a flattering Vag shot because I hadnt had it long and it need a good polish..better photo of Vag attached. The Reefy had a very distinctive front as did the Vag, and the Berty was disctintive as well...cant mistake them at all....gota love deep Vs

Cheers

two up
19-09-2008, 09:30 AM
I have owned a 20' Bahai Mar for the past 7 years, In my opinion one of the best sea boats in this size ever produced. I have been out in some horrendous conditions and have never felt unsafe. In terms of space the front cab is large enough to sleep 2 quite comfortably, I am 6'5" and have no trouble getting a good nights sleep. The fishing cockpit is a bit small as the engine box does take up a bit of space but comes into its own in rough conditions as you can tuck yourself into the corner. My boat has a 4.3 v6 volvo with duoprop leg, and a full days game fishing running 20 miles to the shelf, fishing 8 hrs and running home from the shelf is usually about 120-130 litres. These boats do require reasonable power as they are a heavy boat for their size and run a very deep v. I can fish 4 but 3 is comfortable. It is not overly fast as I top out at 38 knots fully loaded, but with tabs fitted I can plane down to 12-14 knots and at this speed anything short of 2-3 m of chop is no worry at all.

wilcara
19-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Would you consider something like the Haines 635l as being comparible?

two up
19-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Comparable in what way, are you talking space or ride. The haines probably has more deck space, as for ride I hav'nt been in 1 in snotty conditions, but having said that the haines is a wider hull with less deadrise so probably won't be quite as good.

wilcara
19-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Yeah that's what I meant, thanks.

I still can't work out why the Reef Runner seems to have so much more deck space than the Berty though; maybe its an optical illusion.

jimbo59
19-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Also consider the savage marlin heres a photo of one that i got cheap and swapped for a 85 softtail custom.
The hull has a lovely entry and is consided legendary among fishermen who know there stuff, heres the hull and the bike i swapped it for, only reason i sold the bike was i walked around like an ape for 5 mins until the blood reciculated in my arms:)

ozscott
19-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Yep - the Savage Marlin was another classic - nice heavy hull and deep V. Nice looking boat matey.

Cheers

ozscott
19-09-2008, 03:07 PM
whats the donk on the Marlin Jimob - looks like a Yammy V4 (140?) or bigger...cant tell from the angle

wilcara
19-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Is it the saltwater 200?

Anyway nice looking boat, wish you still had it for sale!

That is the sort of thing I am after.

BM
19-09-2008, 04:39 PM
The Marlin's are good but they don't have as good seafaring abilities as the Bertram.

The Marlin has a 22 degree deadrise as opposed to 26 for the Berty. Although the Berty would ride slightly better due to the deadrise I personally would happily own either of them.

Fisheries Victoria used the Marlins for some time as their chosen vessel and they were typically powered by a pair of 70 Johnno's.

Cheers

jimbo59
19-09-2008, 06:22 PM
whats the donk on the Marlin Jimob - looks like a Yammy V4 (140?) or bigger...cant tell from the angle
It was a 200 saltwater series 1996.

wilcara
19-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks Jimbo, you better send me a biscuit for winning.

Thanks to you too Nick. Can you explain the perceived difference in deck size with the Berty Vs reef Runner? I looked at that reefy in Warrnambool again, and it seems to have the same amount of "fishing room" as the Berty but with all the extra "kitchen paraphenalia" as well. Can't figure out why.

sid_fishes
19-09-2008, 07:17 PM
jimbo59, mate i would have kept the softail hey
cheers sid

wayneoro
20-09-2008, 10:33 AM
i have a 5.5mtr caribbean baron . it has a super strong and safe hull .so many sealed conpartments.they are built like a little ship. it has a full size cabin .at 6.3 thats wot u need . bow rider has plenty fishing and casting space up front. plenty fishing deck space . high sides 115 salt merc coasts at 20kts most conditions . i go to roonies fraser island often plus i go camping an it at 1770 [pancake creek etc would go anywhere in it . mine was advertised at 10,000 plus i spent 5000 more bargin for wot i now hav .a lot of your questions are answared in jeff websters mag secondhand boat scerets . he looks at a lot of the old classic hulls etc

wayneoro
20-09-2008, 10:51 AM
ps to keep the stern up i have 55ltr alum pods ec side of motor . [best thing i ever did] i thought the caribbean was same as a bertie . when usa bertrum withdrew there licence from aussi the builders here just kept on with the same moulds just called them caribbean ?

brush
22-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Hey! Wil,
I am a great fan of the Reefrunner V212 and the Crusader V233 having owned each over the years. The RR went out thru the RIP Port Phillip Bay very regular. It was the best boat we ever owned. The C V233 we had up here in Qld it was the great to live on board for the holidays. It was a good sea boat too.
RR had a Mercruiser 165 and I feel it would have been even better with the mercr V8 ... SeaRaider was Carribeans outboard version of RR.
See if you can get a copy of Trailer Boat mag Issue 217 . Jeff Webster did a story on the Classic Reef runner. If youcannot get a copy Come back to me and I will email it to You.
Cheers Brush

wayneoro
22-09-2008, 06:43 PM
wil remember the kiss formula [keep it simple stupid] by looking at every feature as u r it makes it very hard to make a choise every boat is different and there are countless thousands to choise from