PDA

View Full Version : Lake kurwangbah?

Bassjunky
18-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Wondering how it is all going?

Luc
18-09-2008, 08:10 PM
LK has been stocked so now it's only a matter of waitng a couple of years for the bass to get to legal size.

Meanwhile, there's plenty of tilapia just begging to be eradicated.

Luc

Little grey men
19-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Kurwongbah is going to be a great place to take kids in a few years to get them onto their first bass. Good location, nice clean banks. I reckon those little fellas would be as big as my hand at the moment.
As Luc said get out there now and start knocking those african water rabbits on the head, that'll help.

mangrove rat
19-09-2008, 09:30 AM
im surprised they didnt get in and knock the tilapia on the head before they stocked it, how would the electrolisis or what ever its called go out there, where they stun the fish to capture and in this case, bury the bastards?
would definately help the bass to kick off!
cheers, can do

Little grey men
19-09-2008, 12:24 PM
To my understanding electrofishing zaps the fish in a fairly small area. It would take a bit to do a whole lake. There's also some very precious natives in there. Spangles, Eel tail catties and toga. I think that even some yellas have been thrown in there, could be mistaken though.
Various tilapia clean up days have been very productive. The last one pulled out tilapia in the hundreds.
Which is why introducing noxious fish is such a huge problem, easy to put in but bloody hard to get rid of.

Obi _ Wan
19-09-2008, 01:21 PM
To my understanding electrofishing zaps the fish in a fairly small area. It would take a bit to do a whole lake. There's also some very precious natives in there. Spangles, Eel tail catties and toga. I think that even some yellas have been thrown in there, could be mistaken though.
Various tilapia clean up days have been very productive. The last one pulled out tilapia in the hundreds.
Which is why introducing noxious fish is such a huge problem, easy to put in but bloody hard to get rid of.

G'Day Michael, mate you are right there have been a couple of thousand yellowbelly stocked into the dam, with over 100,000 bass and a couple of hundres toga.

Will be a few years yet to it all comes together.

Cheers,
John.

Bassjunky
19-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Yeah have already got the bass elcetric started. Just wanted know if its all looking good up there. What are you guys using for tilapia up there?

Luc
19-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Bllody things are suckers for worms.

Use a long shank hook (whiting size is good) under a float. Vary the depth untill you find what's right for your location.

Might have a Sunday morning session!!

Luc

Bassjunky
24-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Is there any confirmation on electrics alowed in kurwongbah in the future and is NPD going to reopen its permits?

Luc
24-09-2008, 08:29 PM
I beleive talks are in progress about boats for fishing.

As for NPD, permit scheme will restart when it reaches 50%

Luc

shayned
25-09-2008, 09:30 AM
If anyone goes chasing Tilapia there, it would be appreciated if you could post your results up here, (size and numbers). I suspect the population has stunted but not 100% sure.

Remember also it is all about water temp for these bloody things. They start dying at around 14-15 degrees C and have an almost 100% kill rate at around 10 degrees C.

When the water temp gets below 19% they pretty much stop feeding and become very slow to the point you can hand catch them. Personally I wouldn't bother chasing until the water temp is 20 dgrees and above.

As to the bass, on the 10th of January approx 10 000 bass went in followed by a further 100 000 on the 2nd of Feb, so we are just playing the waiting game. I do think we may see some fairly amazing growth rates but time will tell.

shayned
25-09-2008, 09:47 AM
As the other guys said yes we have released some brood stock for saratoga into the lake and at this point I would hope we will continue to do what ever we can to accelerate the development of this lake into a good toga fishery.

Do everyone a big favour, if you see someone land a toga there do what ever you have to ensure it's returned safe and sound into the water. It seems the best we can hope for is 50 fingerlings per breeding pair per year and these initial fingerlings will take 4-5 years to sexually mature and begin adding to the population.

Esentially, if we lose a single brood fish right now we potentially lose an extra 2700 toga we would have had in 5 or 6 years time.:o

On a positive note the signs for the Lake are now finished and have been erected.

Didley
25-09-2008, 10:11 AM
They start dying at around 14-15 degrees C and have an almost 100% kill rate at around 10 degrees C.

Shayne, We need to drop an iceberg from the Antarctic in there, Kill 2 birds with one bloody big stone, fill the dam and kill the Tilapia. I'm I an ideas man or what;D
Small logistics problem, but I'll leave that to U.
Dids

shayned
25-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Mate, you are wasted in your current job, Australia needs you on a bigger stage.:D