PDA

View Full Version : Rigging Hollow Bellys

matt fraser
18-09-2008, 12:01 AM
I've had a few PMs about how to rig the Hollow Bellys, so heres the story.

The Backbone jigs that I designed specifically for them wont be available for sale till November unfortunately.

Until then, for the 6" Hollowbellys - buy a pack of 5/8 Oz #7/0 Nitro Saltwater Pro jigs. They will need a bit of super glue to hold them on well. Push the head onto the keeper first and then glue the head of the hollowbelly to the back on the jighead.

You may need to file down the head on the 5/8 a bit (see pic) as the ideal weight is about 3/8 to 1/2 (10.6 to 14g).

For the 4 and 5" Hollow Bellys the #5/0 hook in the Saltwater Pros work well (once again you will need superglue). these best weights are 1/4 and 3/8 Oz.

Scott and Trev did a lot of testing with them rigged on weighted worm hooks, they swim well rigged on these, but the hook up rate is about 1:8 and they absolutely trash the Hollow Bellys.

Because the Hollow Bellys are soft they do tend to split along the hook (see pic) but if they are firmly attached at the head, the wont get pantsed, and they still swim well even when they are fairly well split. The one in the pic went on to catch another fish.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Matt

rc@hinze
18-09-2008, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the photos and details Matt. That is a big help.
cheers - Richard

Plasticin
18-09-2008, 06:30 AM
Cheers for that Matt. Really helpful

Scott

Obi _ Wan
18-09-2008, 07:57 AM
G'Day Matt,

Thanks for that.

John.

Pete62
18-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Hi Matt, thanks for the info, very good of u to share your hard earned research. I did a bit of my own yesterday after reding your report and found some video info on utube, just google hollow bellies............Cheers, Pete.

Gagga08
18-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Great work Matt. Any word on the 3" Hollow belly split tails? When can we expect to see those in stores?

McCod
18-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Gday Matt'
Just thought i may be able to offer some help on the rigging of these things on the weedless rig ups as I've been using the 5" model for around 4 months now on Barra with great success and recently the 6" ones since they have been available in Aus. I have some smaller ones from a different maker..... but they are almost identical. The TT or Nitro 6/0 1/8 or 1/6 wide gape worm hooks are spot on for the smaller ones. While with the bigger models the 7/0 Monster worm hook from Gamakatsu or Decoy 7/0 wide gape work great with a pea sized sinker crimped on bottom. The hook up rate is about 75% at the moment with over 40 barra landed on this set up over the winter. Some sessions seen 100% strike rate on 5 to 7 Barra. They are best worked slower when rigged weedless while leaving a belly in your line so they can suck it in. Need to strike hard and fast when ether you see the line straighten or feel the strike...... what ever comes first?
Quick reflexes is a big plus.

Cheers Les8-)

matt fraser
18-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks Les,

That is a very good hook up rate! Good work and thanks for the tip,

Matt

Obi _ Wan
18-09-2008, 11:47 AM
G'Day Les,

Mate thats exactly what i did at Awoonga last week and snagged the two big girls with. The Monster 7/0 Worm Hook with a No 3 split shot crimped onto the shank. At first i rigged up a 6/0 and wasn't happy with it so then moved to the 7/0. Would probably be better with a little more weight.

It gave the Hollow Bellie a fantastic action, a real Barra Lolly.

Cheers,
John.

Magella
14-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Josh this might help
Cheers Foxie

TinarooTriumph
14-11-2008, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the heads up Matt. Your absolutely onto a winner I think.

Let us know next time your up at the 'Roo banging Lures on the rocks of Torpedo Bay.

Theo

matt fraser
17-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Cheers Theo,

I'd love to get up there again!

On the backbone Jigs, the first shipment will now be due in early December.

Cheers,

Matt

NAGG
02-12-2008, 12:19 AM
The 4" hollow belly can also be rigged on a Nitro 5/O All terrain jig head (7 or 14 gram) .....They swim well , can be fished through weed & the hook up rate was no worst than the backbone hooks ...... with the added benefit of a hinge hook up.

Both my meter plus fish taken during the ABT were on 4" HBs rigged this way!

Chris

PS A 7/O version would be awesome for the 6" Hollows

Rob wood
02-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Hi Matt
could you please send me an email as i need to talk to you about your jig heads at ginginhotel@bigpond.com
Regards
Rob

BigChiefBarra
04-12-2008, 09:34 PM
For those in Gladstone - boys at Pats Tackleworld. Have some really good jigheads that are perfect for the Hollowbellies. $2.00 a pop - bargain and a beautiful fit. Thanks boys for the great service as per usual.