PDA

View Full Version : heat exchanger

boatboy72
17-09-2008, 10:44 PM
has anyone got anny good drawings of heat exchangers or pics of internals of a good desing that works well thanks guys

PinHead
18-09-2008, 05:49 AM
what sort of heat exchanger? what application?

Noelm
18-09-2008, 10:50 AM
pretty simple thing really, I guess one way to describe it is a Radiator that uses water to cool instead of air, most consist of a coil/tube sort of arrangement that the engine coolant runs through, this fits into some sort of outer tube/tank that has cool water (seawater) running through it, as mentioned though, what purpose? like a 500HP Diesel will need a much bigger one than a 4 Cyl Petrol

PinHead
18-09-2008, 11:19 AM
also use heat exchangers on marine refrigeration also..hence my question as to what application.

Noelm
18-09-2008, 12:05 PM
yep, that's true!

Kleyny
18-09-2008, 04:29 PM
if your talking about to cool a boat motor.
My mate has mad one for his ski boat. (400cube chevy)
its a very simple but effective design.
i dont have a drawing of it but here is a quick run down

First of all you buy say 6m of copper pipe the same size as a pen.
Cut it into 1m lengths.
Get one piece of say 5inch stainless tube at 900mm.
weld two 3/4inch adaptors one on each side near the ends.
Solder all the pen size pipes together at each end using 5inch plate.
Now make two end caps out of stainless plates, also weld 3/4inch pipe on each of the caps.
Put he 5inch pipe over the other section join all of them together with reinforced rubber hose. 1 clamp at the pipe, 1 at the cap and 1 on the plate that holds all the pen sized plates.

Coolant from the motor goes through the end caps then through the numerous small pipes. This is cooled by water from the ocean that flows through the larger pipe.
of course you need two water pumps one for the ocean water and one for the engine coolant

From memory he said there was 100 small pipes that made up the cooling part.

it keeps the chevy cool as

hope this helps

boatboy72
18-09-2008, 08:56 PM
sorry pepole only part of my post seemed appear i have a good relationship with a couple of foundries and a welding/eng background and i'm looking to make heatexchangers (start with universal fit) so loking for info on what is good and what is bad want to take the good make quality products

Roughasguts
19-09-2008, 07:08 AM
Me old mans Volvo Penta V8 had a heat exchanger, and manifold and never had trouble with either, and that motor is over 40 years old.

But make sure it has a couple of Zinc anodes that can be removed and replaced easily. They seem to make it last all those years.