PDA

View Full Version : Raising Borumba Dam Wall

drunkenduncan
17-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Hi all. Could someone please help out with any knowledge of the truth behind the new additions the main wall and spillway. I am under the impression that the wall is only being strengthened to cope with abnormal floods, and capacity will remain the same.... any help would be appreciated.

slyman
17-09-2008, 10:11 PM
G'day mate, I asked some Q's about the wall as well, if you look at this thread it has a reply I got from sunwater, but basically yeah they are just strengthening the spillway not increasing capacity.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=126169

catfishkid
17-09-2008, 10:51 PM
I did some geotech drilling for sunwater on the southern side of the dam wall just before christmas last year,from memory they said the work was being done for flood mitigation,the hardest bit was when they advised they have had water 5m over the dam wall before:o ,the drilling was done where the path leads down from the lookout above the dam wall about halfway down and right beside the lookout.we did other testing while we were there.
They told us an extra 2m was going to be added to the dam wall but the spillway would no be raised.
If you look at the spill way they have concreted the rock to the side to strenghen it after the last major flood scoured it out.I have pics on my phone from drilling there but no way to load them onto my computer unfortunately.
Hope this helps.

Cheers Craig

drunkenduncan
17-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Thanks guys... fantastic information there..
5metres of flood over the dam wall would make some sight wouldnt it!! I think that raising the dam wall would be a great option if it would stop the Traveston Dam. Good country for one dont you think.