PDA

View Full Version : Karumba info wanted

jclay1773
17-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Hi all,
Heading to Karumba over Easter 2009. Been up that way before but never been to Karumba. Just wondering if anyone can recommend any good spots to stay. Either camping or cabin style. Also, I have a 3.7m tinny and have heard different stories on if a boat this size is ok for up there. Probably will just stick to the river system. What’s your thoughts on this.
Thanks,
John

kingtin
17-09-2008, 07:20 PM
pm ColacGirl. She was there in May/June and her brother goes up every year.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=132223&highlight=karumba

kev

jclay1773
17-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Thanks for that. I read that thread. Looks good. Should have mentioned boat is V-Hull. Also what fish are normally on the chew this time of year. Also I have been told that Easter time is too close to the wet season. Any thoughts.
Thanks again. John

kingtin
17-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks for that. I read that thread. Looks good. Should have mentioned boat is V-Hull. Also what fish are normally on the chew this time of year. Also I have been told that Easter time is too close to the wet season. Any thoughts.
Thanks again. John

John, march to November is actually the dry season. Karumba Community Anglers Classic is held at easter as is the world barra comp ..............at least it used to be a few years ago.

This is a Fishing Monthly 1st week April fishing report from 2005:

"With the smaller tides over the last week, the fishing improved dramatically with plenty of grunter and king salmon on offer at Karumba.

Fishing further north has been outstanding, with plenty of big barra on offer on live baits and lures. During a five day extended trip, one intrepid group of anglers from Brisbane managed over 30 barra tagged and released, with one angler catching a 133cm fish and another catching three fish over a metre, at 122cms, 106cms and 101cms. Both anglers had never even caught a barra before the trip. Spoilt for life!

With the bigger tides pushing in over the next week the fishing for the barra will slow but flats fishing for blue salmon should improve."

and this from the year before:

"The fishing has really shifted up a gear at Karumba, over the last week, with plenty of barra in the river and the pelagics turning up out the front.

The beach at Karumba Point is a popular and, at the moment, very successful spot for a bit of barra fishing. Live baits, fished at the bottom of the tide, have been bringing in at least 3-4 barra a morning, off the beach. Although there are a few man hours going in, with plenty of people fishing for them, it still isn't a bad way to start of the day.

Trolling deep diving lures has also produced a few fish along the deeper channel edges. Lures such as the deep diving Scorpions and Mann's Stretch 20+, have been successful.

Out the front, the queenfish have arrived and have taken up residence at the Sand Island and surrounds. Plenty have been taken on live baits but there are a few out there taking them on lures and fly and having fun in the
process. Some smaller GT's are mixed up with them and also some of the Volkswagen bonnet models, just for a bit of spice.

The grunter have yet to make an appearance but this only seems to worry those who are on holidays to 'break even ' by catching their bag limit."

kev

jimbamb
18-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Havnt been fo a while but karumba is usually Full of victorians who go up every winter.Would pay to check availability of accom. Maybeee the price of fuel has slowed them down a bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!Can always stay at normanton(The purple pub sells good beer)
Your tinny would be good in river and i think a lot go out into bay on good days as it is fairly sheltered.
Jim

ColacGirl
18-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Hi all,
I have a 3.7m tinny and have heard different stories on if a boat this size is ok for up there. Probably will just stick to the river system. What’s your thoughts on this.

Hi John,
We were in a 12' tinny and ventured out of the river quite abit. It really depends on the day. We're planning to take the epirb next time so we can venture out further.

--
Bev

jclay1773
19-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks for all the help. I was told that the wet season can be a problem as the water may still be around and prevent you from travelling up there at this time of year. I have looked at the accom recommendations and will book in the next few days. Thanks again for all the help. John

ColacGirl
19-09-2008, 12:12 PM
I was told that the wet season can be a problem as the water may still be around and prevent you from travelling up there at this time of year.

Hi again John,
My brother usually heads to Karumba during the last week of April (and stays 3 months... lucky bugger!).
It was a bit touch and go this year as the wet hung around longer than he wanted. His wife checked the RACQ website daily to see which roads were cut. Most the time it was the side roads that were cut and you could still get to Karumba via either the inland or coast/savannah way routes.

When you ring to book your accomodation have a chat to the locals to see what they think about the timing.

--
Bev

jclay1773
09-01-2009, 08:29 AM
Hi guys just wondering if anyone has any more info on Karumba. I have bought the northern fish finder book. Excellent book and looks like it will be a great help. I am now taking a 5.5m boat up so was wondering if anyone wants to share any offshore GPS points. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John.

BrettoM
09-01-2009, 08:21 PM
G'day John,
I had my first and one of the most enjoyable trips to the Gulf when I went to Karumba with a mate about 15 years ago. We stopped at Caravan Park at Karumba Point that at the time was good and allowed you to use their freezer if you wanted to take some fish home. Also close walk to the Karumba Point Tavern which was a great spot to watch the sunsets over the gulf with a few beers and discuss the days fishing.
At the time I had a 3.6 metre ally craft with a 15 hp Johno and we ventured out into the Gulf each day near the last channel markers. Only had a few concerns one day when the current was ripping out and the wind blowing in the opposite directions which pushed up some sharp close waves. The secret then is to get out of the channel with a little boat and travel home over the sand flats (hence a sounder is handy as fairly shallow). All in all was a good trip and first time I had caught decent salmon and queen fish which are certainly fun. Beach launch at Karumba Point so need a 4WD.
With the Gulf the best time they say is just befor or just after the wet so your timing should be good.
Hope you enjoy!:D

Morwim
14-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Hey Mate,
I took the family up their last July. The in laws have done it a few time so we met them up there. We stayed at Kurumba point and we were only able to get accomodation due to the in laws being up there for a few months before hand, so it might pay to ring ahead and check. Try to bring as much food and goodies with you as possible cause you'll pay an arm and a leg for anything up there. The old man had a 4.2 tinny and we took it out to the sand island about 2 k out chasing mackeral and Grunter. usually about 30 to 50 boats out there on a good day most of them would be roof toppers around the 3.8m size so i dont think you'll have an issue taking your boat out. Just watch you back on the boat ramp. They had to remove a 14ft crock when we were there, he was biting the boat motors at the boat ramp. Try the Barra center while ya there. Have a good one

major-defect
17-01-2009, 12:08 AM
I'll be there at easter and I was there last easter.Out of the caravan parks Karumba Point Sunset Caravan Park 07 47459277 is in the best position I reckon.The boat ramp is directly over the road and the mouth of the river,your only 5 minutes walk from the tavern right on the beach[great place to watch the sunset].I'd ring asap as it gets busy,I doubt you'll get a cabin now but you might get a camp site.Hope you can get a spot somewhere we could catch up.